1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kanyadaan should stop??

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Jhilmill, Nov 25, 2014.

1. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I suppose the "kanyadaan" is over and the bride is about to deliver :) .......

OP- where are you?

6 people like this.
  2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I have followed this thread with some interest. If I may interject on a matter of English usage:

In its modern form, to say that 'there's no love lost' between two people means that they do not love each other, that they dislike each other. Perfundo, I am certain that you meant to say quite the opposite in your post!

The OED entry is here.
    An etymological discussion, with a complementary archaic usage, is here.

6 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Nice to see you here...:)

2 people like this.
  4. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

Too many assumptions about India floating around. MOST private maternity hospitals in India, & more so in cities, very much allow fathers to be present AND shoot the entire birthing process on video during c-sections. Have numerous first hand experiences of close relatives & friends WITH video footage. In fact, the ones that don't allow are now the exceptions rather than the norm.

Such uncalled for assumptions about India are very very far from truth and really laughable in the present context.

Expressing personal opinions is different from distorting and mis-representing facts.

P.S. On your next visit to India Crayoness, please do make time to enjoy the Punjabi Tandoori chicken & Tangri kabab, the Lucknow kakori & galouti kabab, the Hyderabadi mutton biryani & haleema, the Kashmiri roganjosh & mutton yakhni & Awadhi bhuna ghost and the now world famous Chicken tikka masala & butter chicken in Delhi.

5. perfundo

perfundo Silver IL'ite

@sokanasanah You are spot on, thank you for pointing this out. :)

6. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Wow!! You are back!!

I have really missed your posts!

:welcome :welcome:welcome

Please do continue to participate further.

4 people like this.
  7. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

LotusAura- I am not talking about each and every hospital in India. But as mentioned in my earlier posts, many major hospitals including the one where I did my degree did not allow husbands or mothers of the labouring woman.

Their reason for not allowing the dads( which I got from the doctor), is because apparently witnessing their wives deliver their babies puts such strain on their minds and emotions that they are likely to end up with schizophrenia!!

This is the most bizzare thing I have heard. Schizophrenia is a slightly rare disease which has a genetic disposition. It does not occur solely because of stressful events in life, much less by witnessing labour I believe.

It is probably their way of keeping the fathers away, so that the medics are not interrupted while they do their job.

If it were really the case, then every other father walking around on the streets of America would be a schizophrenic!!!

8. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

There are a lot of benefits having the fathers participating in the delivery. It is a big relief and support for the mother, amazing experience for the father and also helps the hospitals as they need less resources. It also supports the bonding between the father and the baby but not of course the only aspect to that. Equally important is to provide peace and privace to the family when the baby arrives. We grandmothers and MIL:s can visit later.

5 people like this.
  9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Check the doctors credentials or may be she / he was just humoring you .

2 people like this.
  10. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

ha ha! Thanks!! forum is a like a battle field now! so, stay safe policy!