MBA distance education

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by angelwhite, Jun 16, 2008.

1. angelwhite

angelwhite New IL'ite

Dear Friends,

:confused2:I want to go for MBA distance eduacation with ICFAI. But before that I would like to know some views about the value of the course in india and also abroad UK & US...and the university....if any body studied there or has done a distance edu from any uni and know anything about the university can you please letme know. I want to be sure b4 I enroll.
    thanx in advance. Bow

2. Prb

Prb New IL'ite

Hi Angel:

I have not studied in ICFAI, but I have done a lot of research on MBA and B-Schools around the world.

1. I want you to first analyse what you want out of your MBA. For instance are you doing your MBA because you have very steep career aspirations or you want to progress to the next level in your current job. Based on that you decide if you want to do full-time, part-time or distance options.

2. Once you've identified your option of what mode you want to pursue, then you need to find your ways to get in.

If you have the time to do a part-time, you could explore some of the interactive programs offered by leading schools like the IIM's and Manipal Academy through HughesNet- (the website is HughesNet Global Education - Management Programs from premier B-Schools >> Post Graduate programs >> Global Education). In this mode you are in a virtual classroom in your local centre with your faculty from the school giving the lecture. You can actually interact with him and participate with other students from across the country.

I am assuming that you have done the above ground work and decided on a distance education option. But please remember that a distance education requires a lot of self-motivation and seriousness for you to be able to complete the program.

Now you're considering ICFAI- ICFAI has been long there in the business, but the reviews have been mixed.

I would actually suggest you explore Symbiosis and IGNOU distance programs if you have not explored them yet. Symbiosis graduates are highly regarded by the corporate sector- ( click to link the lead you to the website- Index).

So good luck and make an informed choice.

Prb.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Are you in India.. if so go ahead with ICFAI..

But if you are NRI.. NEVER FALL FOR THEM..I am a victim..

they made me feel all so easy...

Books will be courier'ed, read them, attend online courses.. and attend the semester exams in the Indian embassies nearby.

I got sold..

1 week to the first semester exams.. got an email from them that they are still working with embassies (Atlanta, NYC and Washington) and will let me know. Remember by this time, I had paid the full amount.

I was so fed up after 3 weeks of no response from ICFAI, I called the embassies including the main one in washington. I spoke with the consular himself. He was surprised, how I could have believed that.
    Our embassy has no ties with this university is what he said.. Witsend Howe could it work he asked.. when you are writing exams, who will monitor - my employees :hide::hide:.. felt so bad when he asked me all these questions.. DrowningDrowning

Called ICFAI.. no one took my calls.. emails were never replied...

when I have someone ask from india, their reply was that the money i paid is all done - for the 10 books they sent WitsendWitsendWitsend

This happened in 2001..

I heard the same stories in 2004..

dont know the status now though..

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  4. angelwhite

angelwhite New IL'ite

Hi Prb and Nandshyam,
    :thankyou2: Thanx both of you for replying. I used to check the post every day to see if some one posted any replies.

Hi Prb, thanx for the suggestion. I cant do a part/full time MBA cuz I will be starting work soon and I also have other plans. So, yes its more like to give an added advantage to explore other opportunities. But I'll look into symbiosys ( the only hitch is that theres is PG Diploma) and also Ignou. I'm not going ahead with ICFAI because they see a little dodgy. I'll keep you posted on my choice.

Hi Nandshyam,
    I'm in India now. I'm so sorry that you had to experience such a terrible thing. But everything happens for a reason. See, now your experience was useful for me! :) thank you for replying it was really really helpful.
    when I asked the guy sales guy of the institute on whether I can give exams if I go abroad (becuz my husbands work might require us to travel) he almost got me convinced that I can. He didnt even clearly mention to me the fee structure. Only after a lot of enquiry from various other sources I got to know that they will do something and get the cost to 1.25 K for 2 yrs. All the while the guy kept telling me its 45,000 ( INR) for a year with training and I wont be charged a penny more! and when I directly confronted him about this he tells me 80,000 INR is without training and we'll have to pay 15,000 INR over that for the training and 5,000 INR is the admission fee. Now we know how they manipulate people....Its so bad people dont seem to understand that every one works hard to earn money.

Ps: Did you think abot filing a case against them?

5. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi angelwhite,

No doubt ICFAI is a good choice, still before proceeding please do compare this option with the rest. Now-a-dayz there are too many choices in India.I am also an MBA graduate, not in ICFAI. There are many drwabacks in distance education. We cant expect all the facilities as routine universities do. Even our ILite Nandhu has explained one such drawback. Other than this the main thing you have to concentrate is the area you are going to specialize, say, Marketing, Finance etc. If you are clear with the area of specialization then your next job is to enquire about the facilities the university is going to provide you for the project you will be doing in the final year.If possible check the alumini and try to enquire with the passed outs about the details. Keep analyzing and then decide, take your time.I myself have suffered a lot choosing a wrong university. Since i had completed MCA before doing MBA i didnt bother much.All the best. Do write me if you have any doubts.

6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

AW, Thanks :) Nah.. it was too much of a hassle when you are miles away and have someone from chennai to go every week to hyd.. We had 18 NRI's ready to go ahead and do it.. but again.. no one was willing to work a bit harder towards taking them to justice

Consoled myself that it was for some charity :)

Good luck !!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  7. Prb

Prb New IL'ite

Hi Angel:

In regards to your concern about the PG Dip and not a degree, none of the leading B-Schools in the country offer a degree- even with IIM's it's a PGP (a Post Graduate Program).

This is beacuse they're not affiliated with any university- only a university is able to award degrees in India. Affliating with a university does not provide the B-School with the independance they need to run the program. This is not in the best interest of a program like management, considering the frequent changes that have to be brought out. If you also look into world rankings, it's ISB and IIM-A which are in the top 100, despite their PGP awards.

From the perspective of employment, be it a PGP or MBA, it wouldn't matter at all. All that would matter is which school you graduated from. I gather that you start work shortly- I'm not sure if that means you do not have any work experience so far, as some management programs would require you to have full-time work experience before you apply.

Good luck and let us know how things take shape.

Prb.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  8. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

I have about 6 years IT experience and i want to go into management. So decided to go for MBA. Then the problem was: full time MBA or distance education? I did not want to risk leaving my job to pursue higher studies.

So decided on doing IGNOU MBA. Reason: their fee structure is simple and the way you complete your degree is also flexible. One of my friend is trying to complete her MCA since 5 yearsbonkbut not able to due to work pressure. I too need such flexibility, though not so muchHarhar. Other courses like executive MBA, make me too hard pressed for time (me, a working mother).

Hope this helps..

9. nikkypk

nikkypk New IL'ite

hi ladies,
    i was considering the distance MBA program conducted by anna malai university, does any1 here have any experience with them? is it better than symbiosis?

10. Esspe

Esspe New IL'ite