Morning multitasking - whole day's cooking

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by hrastro, Sep 11, 2014.

1. sonalpallavi

sonalpallavi Bronze IL'ite

hrastro,Just got curious seeing your work timings and also you mentioned you WFH, are you a freelancer? Actually your work timings are too good to manage work and kids.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  2. nvathsala

nvathsala Silver IL'ite

I used to do all the work including packing lunch for afternoon too.Then went to catch the bus n reach the school (I am a teacher) after one n half hr travel.sat n sun for washing n other works.Now I am free.

1 person likes this.
  3. ammusatheesh

ammusatheesh Gold IL'ite

Pakka planning.i was just planning to write up my time schedule as i was getting late always after having my kid...It was very useful...Thanks for the detailed schedule :)

1 person likes this.
  4. harinideep

harinideep Gold IL'ite

Hi op ,
    nice to see your schedule . I too used to do multitasking and finish my work fast. There are few things which helped me .
    I have a very small pressure cooker. ( Hawkins very small one) . It take 5 mins to boil vegetalbe and 10 mins to cook rice using the small cooker.
    Other than that I have 2 medium sized cookers and one very big cooker which I use when guests come.

Morning I make tea , chutney , idli , rice , kulambu/sambar , 1 vegetable for side dish.

1. I keep water from RO in a very big vessel and soak tamarind previous night and keep tamarind soaked one in fridge.
    2. Morning as soon as i wake up put dal + rice in cooker for boiling
    3. next i cut the vegetable and put in cooker for boiling
    4. then i make chutney. I know very easy chutney recipes like ginger chutney , brinjal chutney which takes very less effort
    5. then i use idli cooker and make around 12 idlis
    6. then i grind the chutney and give tadkas for vegetable and finish the sambar / kulambu recipe.
    It take 45 mins to 1 hour for all of these as I use 3 cookers ,2 kadai , idli cooker , a 4 burner stove.
    I have mild back pain since many years . If I stand for more than 1 hour pains is more. So I set a mind timer for 1 hour and finish all cooking in a hour. I dont enter kitchen after that 1 hr expect for tea / coffee.
    For dinner I make dosa and have with the chutney that I make in the morning.
    You may think that it would be boring to have dosa / idli daily. But I make variations to dosa/idli
    1. I had barley floor to dosa floor
    2. I had ragi floor and make ragi dosa
    3. Wheat dosa by adding wheat to idiappam flour which mom makes
    4. I add tadka with oninon to dosa and make as onion oothappam
    5. I make paniaram with dosa flour ( with tadka ) which takes very less effort and tasty.
    I always find very easy chutney recipes and do them on weekdays. Weekend is alloted for other more effort recipes.

kavikuyil, dhivyacc, hrastro and 2 others like this.
  5. happyindian

happyindian New IL'ite

Harinideep, Great!!!

Hrastro, Amazing!!!! Such a detailed post...I am just similar to u in only one thing..I too have thyroid tablet in the morning :)
    My post is not going to help any one. I am just sharing my opinion and what I do.
    According to me, to work fast we need to think fast...But I think slow and work slow..After my kid, I started having continuous sleepless nights and because of that I cannot get up early and cook properly the next day. My kid too is very fussy in eating. So we both don't eat healthy food every day. And now I feel my health has gone down much and my mind simply doesn't plan properly. Truly, by mistake I hit my kitchen wall or cupboard door everyday not knowing where I am walking/moving. It is nothing to do with vision. It is some co-ordination prob due to poor health.
    So what I do now is, I will set a condition in my mind that both the burners of my stove ( 2 burner stove) have to be ON always with some dishes till my cooking ends. So even though I am not organized, I somehow do A first and then B or B first and then A. But since some thing is going on always in parallel, I end up my cooking soon.

1 person likes this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Congrats for being nominated. YOu have a perfect schedule. I also finish my work in the morning itself. I get up at 6 a.m. Before going for bath I start the washing machine, then after bath start cooking. I cut vegetables also in the morning only. Since my maid has stopped coming I only do the sweeping and swabbing after finishing the cooking, then pooja, washing the vessels. Usually by 9 to 9.30 all my work is over.

kalcandu and hrastro like this.
  7. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

HR, Amazing!!! you are Super women and Mom...very inspired!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Wow hrastro! Hats off! Really impressed. This brought back to mind my working days with the exception that there was no kid or school or school dabba to be attended to. Used to feel good at the end of the day to look back and realize how much had been achieved. :-D

Great job! Thanks for sharing.

1 person likes this.
  10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hrastro!

This is was one of the first nomination that FP received as the finest post by Ammusatheesh! I remember reading it soon after and getting all breathless going through your morning rituals! Not just that, I also admired your organization skills and the planned process to keep the day going smoothly!

I thought i wrote a feed back right then and am now surprised to find I somehow missed doing so!

Am impressed with your planning and with someone like you heading the home affairs, I am sure it must be a happy home!

All the best and congrats on the nomination!!

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.