1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

sweet MIL situation.need advise.

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by friendlygirl, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Alildream

Alildream Gold IL'ite

Hey friendlygirl,
    your husband should be the one telling your mil that he can't eat all the sweets...I suggest you don't get in that issue at all. See if she gets the message after her son tells her repeatedly.

I get it that you are worried...here is what can be done. You can look out at low cal, healthy sweet recipes on the internet and do it. You have loads of options...oats payasam, oats halwa, beeetroot halwa, oats cookies, pumpkin payasam or halwa with less ghee, wheat flour carrot cake, walnut cookies, chikkis with jaggery... The options are endless! And trust me I have tried some and they are good. See what your husband likes to eat and try to find healthier versions of the same. Many recipes of sweets are flexible enough...you can cheat here and there and replicate the taste AND lower the calories.

You can also cut a deal with your dh...he should eat the healthier version only, maybe just take a small sample of the other high calorie sweets (definitely not the whole ladoo) and he has to walk more if he eats it.

1 person likes this.
  2. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

My dh is very strict about his diet and no ONE ( even mil) can feed him anything that he doesn't approve......he even keeps an eye on what they are eating lol!!!!

thegirlygirl likes this.
  3. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

your h is not a child. This is the relationship between him and his mom. You can deplore it as much as you want but you cannot do anything about it. Work on the 'it bothers me that it bothers me' part. That's about all you can do. Make your peace with the rest. When the time comes he will change himself.

4. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Go to doctor, check your Dh for cholesterol and other things, show the report to your pils. Ask your Dh yo do that and explain that doctor had given some instructions in food and exercise to control it. Sometimes actions speak more than words. If possible ask him to take your mil to the doctor office. She should see with her own eyes, so that mil will understand more other than seeing you guys as diet freak.
    Im telling this because our parents generation think that the younger generation is nowadays showing off as a diet freak and cutting eating good foods which is good for health. It is difficult for them to understand there are lot of lifestyle diseases increased nowadays with is less in their generation.

5. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,

If you're husband's health is being compromised because of somebody's ignorance, it would bother you then be it his own mom who is the culprit.

Food habits and culture are not minor issues, they affect us on a day to day basis.
    Especially if it is connected to health ,and if it is taking a toll on your hubby's health you will surely worry and be concerned and you have the right to raise your voice against it.

Very firmly convey to you MIL that oil laden and fried food is going to worsen your hubby's present condition. Since it is a hereditary condition, she must have already seen the consequences of it.

Return all the oily stuff she brings, keep a little of it to respect her and return the rest.
    Ask your hubby to not have a single morsel of the fattening food a few times which she cooks when she is at your place.
    When all the food will go waste she will think before cooking unsuitable food next time.

Don't stress dear, your hubby is her baby. She is just doing all this with affection, not with any ulterior motive. When you gently tell her of all the ill effects it could cause and the price her child might have to pay for it. She will eventually understand. She will not risk her child's health.

1 person likes this.
  6. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

Hi..

You don't advise her.

Instead advise hubby. Make him a bit health conscious

Try going for a medical check up - u both- sugar pressure, cholesterol, almost every hospital provides a basic check up which comes in different packages- may be doctor will interact with you- where you can mention what you eat, your lifestyle etc

I am sure then and there doctor will tell you do this do that.

Hope your job becomes easy then.

and try bringing home those calory less products- oil, sugar etc.

Stay healthy!!

regards
    resmij

sindmani and friendlygirl like this.
  7. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

I am struggling with same issue.What i do is i ask husband what he wants to eat and prepare before mil enters kitchen.
    You cant control this 100% but up to certain extend by asking your husband to limit what he eats unhealthy.
    OP its continuous battle.MIL thinks i am being cruel by barring husband from eating unhealthy food.!!!
    She doesnt get it that eating certain food is unhealthy.

resmij and friendlygirl like this.
  8. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

Thanks @cinderella06 . Your suggestion of showing the health reports to ILs is a good idea. I am going to try that. Hopefully his mother understands and control her ways of cooking unhealthy food\.

cinderella06 and sindmani like this.
  9. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

throw it in the garbage in front of everyone and don't feel guilty about it.

resmij and blessings1010 like this.
  10. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

Same he
    Hi
    Same here - I am considered as cruel if found stopping husband or lil one from too much sweet /fries