1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling irritated with this money situation

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sripree, Oct 20, 2014.

1. sripree

sripree Gold IL'ite

Everytime we visit India, we have to give a lump-sum to ILs. This time we are at the brink of a big expense and have to take a big loan to afford it. DH quit his job and is planning to study. Last few years, there was a period when I was unemployed. It was obviously difficult time. Knowing all this they still NEVER refuse to take said lump-sum. They say 'no need for money' just for formality but in the end they happily take it.

DH is too sweet to realise this and says he is paying back his education loan to ILs. Even if it is considered loan, do any parents take cash from children when they are trying to settle down and planning to take a big loan?

My own parents will never take a single penny from me or DH. .
    If I bring it up, DH gets v upset and we end up fighting.

Feeling irritated shakehead Any one else have similar problems? How do you tackle?

2. kanthtx

kanthtx Gold IL'ite

why would they take money.. do thay have actual debts that ur H is trying to help them clear? or r they taking the money for investment or for monthly expenseS?

if it is just for the sake of returning money which they dont need, then I dont see a point.

3. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Oh You will be surprised to see what ALL they expect being a BOY's parent !!!!!

don't even get me started on thismoneysmiley

4 people like this.
  4. sripree

sripree Gold IL'ite

No such thing! Good question. MIL is a govt. employee still in service and has quite a few years before she retires. FiL is retired govt. employee and gets pension every month. Apart from this DH's granny who is mentally retarded also gets pension from Government.

So you see for a house of two - they have three incomes. Apart from this, they live in own house and have recently bought another house.

So as you can see, there's no need for money. DH pays back because he says they spent 30 lakhs for his education. But all those loans are closed now.

But MIL and FIL know very well that we are postponing have child because of financial issues. And they also know very well that I was unemployed and we were running on single income. Now DH is unemployed and we are still running on single income. Plus we have to spend another 40 lakhs for DH education in the coming months.

Still they happily take money and keep it with them. They NEVER have said you settle first - we will take money later.

I feel so angry. DH does not realise he is being used as cash cow. When DH said he is going to study to FIL, he said we already spent so much why you want to study again. And he also said so many sons staying abroad buy houses for their parents - we are not asking for that! I was shocked. That means they are expecting us to buy house for them!

Whenever we give money - they happily take it - even if i had told them about all our money problems only few hours ago.

Before, there was a period when we were not able to give money. I was unemployed then. FIL went and told all friends and relatives that it was because of me that his son was not sending money. Then when my parents visited their house, FIL showed account book to my father and said his son is not sending money because of me.

How can I make DH understand that his parents are being unreasonable? My FILs dont have any big financial commitment now. DH has no other siblings also.

I just feel like running away somewhere!

5. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Parents can educate us only to some extent. It was your H's choice to study, then why would they give free money??
    Giving back money wakes up that responsibility in us that we need to excel in that course cuz it comes with a huge cost.
    Moreover, they planned really well for their retirement and hence they have money...we should learn from them.

6 people like this.
  6. sripree

sripree Gold IL'ite

Yogirl, DH is going to do second master's degree and we are not asking for any help from them for this. I am going to take loan and pay for it. For first master's degree - they spent 30 laks. We already gave about 10 lakhs. There are no outstanding bank loans for this either.

But my point is - when they know we have such a big investment coming up - why can't they say they will take the money later on. It's not like we are going to run away without giving money. It's only for a short while until DH finishes education.

So if that is the case. Even my parents made me study MS in UK. And they bore marriage expenses also. If I start giving money to my parents, do you think my MIL will like it? Just because I was unemployed for short while and DH was not able to give money itself FIL went and told whole world that DH is not sending money home because of me. Imagine if I started giving money to my parents. What will happen then.

2 people like this.
  7. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Girl's parents and Guy's parents are tuned in a different way by the Indian society..
    Girls are pampered and given assurance that her parents will stay as her back support anytime(most of the cases). But guys are taught to live independently and manage his chores. thats how they grow upto be breadwinners and responsibility takers of the family(most of the cases).
    If you are talking about education fees as your next big investment..then,yes, you planned for it at this stage..also postponing kids for this.
    Ask them what they would do in such situation...if they match yours..then most probably they will wait until your H finishes off his study to take their money back..
    40L is not a small amount for you and for them as well. they might have their own insecurities..

2 people like this.
  8. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Agreed.

Watch out though, you may get people with not much awareness of Indian society accuse you of being incorrect! :)

9. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Forget trying to understand what they think, what they say etc. That is just useless speculation IMO.

I suggest that you set your budget and you manage your finances the way you see fit. That includes saving for yourself and spending on your parents. You don't need to advertise anything or seek anyone's permission. Simply say your commitments do not allow you to give handouts like before.

For as long as they think their bitching will get results, they will bitch about you. Let it go and stick to your plan. Don't argue or explain. Just do as you see fit, the rest will fall in place.

Ps: if it is mandatory that your DH repays his parents, let him finish his course, earn and pay them back. It they aren't in dire need, it can wait.

4 people like this.
  10. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

You husband took 30 lakhs from parents and he only repayed 10 lakhs . He has more 20 lakhs to go . What is wrong on your IL part if they expect him to pay back.

your priorities are not their priorities , you husband is ready to incur 40 l more along with his existing debt to parents .

how are they to know that you will prioritize paying back to parents later than paying back to banks . What if some other priorities come up after your husbands studies , may be your kids , then you might say your kids are more important than paying back to your ils .
    Instead of depending on them to not expect the money , you need to better plan your expenses within your means .
    In fact you should be paying back to your parents too. That will help their retired life .

Taking parents help to get a good start in Life and then calling them greedy when it is time repay is not correct .

8 people like this.