March 2015 Due Date Club! plz join..

Discussion in 'Due Date Clubs' started by chandrikap, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Kalpana294

Kalpana294 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Indhu,
    thyroid , sugar and albumin tests need to be done later in second trimester i believe.. thats what doc has told me.. probably around 22 weeks...

2. Kalpana294

Kalpana294 Bronze IL'ite

Hi SSRt
    did you get the regular blood work done sometime towards the end of first trimester(as in thyroid/blood count/rubella/HIV/syphillis/Platelet etc) ?? If you've done this then you would need another test in the later part of second trimester(RBS/albumin and thyroid)...
    my doc asked me to discontinue folic acid at the end of first trimester.. may be you can ask for that too...
    The double marker and NT scan usually go together.. may be your doc would've thot that since your risk level is low, its not necessary.. dont worry about that now...
    you can probably make some dietary changes to keep your sugar levels under control... like using brown rice and brown sugar...

3. krithika16

krithika16 Bronze IL'ite

Hi manju,

I eat banana in the evening but I will try in the morning frm tomaro. thanks for suggesting ..... Coconut water here I get packed one's which I hate :(

but not taking any iron or calcium supplements.

1 person likes this.
  4. manjusingh

manjusingh Junior IL'ite

Congratulations SSRT and welcome to the club :)

Indhu has clarified most of the queries. Double marker test is generally recommended in two cases - 1) If your age is over 30 years and 2) If NT Scan results are not great in the sense NT thickness is high. In both the case the Down Syndrome risk is high and hence doctors suggest to go for Double Marker test. If the Double Marker test results also indicate high risk for Down Syndrome then doctors prescribe further diagnostic tests to confirm whether baby is suffering from DS.

Doctors generally recommend Blood tests at the end of 1st trimester. In case you have already done important blood tests earlier during first 3 months, its better to check with doctor whether these tests are required again.

When (after how many weeks of pregnancy) did your Blood Sugar level increase? Was this the first time your checked blood sugar after you got pregnant? Which medicine you are using for controlling the blood sugar?

Doctors generally advise to stop taking only Folic Acid tablet after 1st trimester as most of the iron supplements have Folic Acid and Zinc also. Which Iron and Vitamins supplements are you taking?

5. ssrt3128

ssrt3128 Junior IL'ite

Hi Kalpana
    I did the blood test in 5th week. It covered Hemo, RBC, WBC Count,thyriod,serological test(VDRL), HIV,Australia Antigen. After this my doc did not advised any other blood test. Hope these test only you also covered. Regarding Rubella, Syphillis and hepatitis i will ask my doc. For folic acid tab my doc aske dme to take it till 7th month.Please let me know any other blood test needs to be done other than i mentioned.

6. manjusingh

manjusingh Junior IL'ite

Wow. Good to hear Kalpana that no treatment is required for TSH :)

Yeah we all are waiting for our Anatomic / Anomaly scan as well as baby movements :)

7. manjusingh

manjusingh Junior IL'ite

Oh so you had already gone for all tests at around 8 weeks. Then may be all these tests are not required again after 1st trimester. For me, my doctor advised to wait till completion of 1st trimester for blood and urine tests when I checked with her after my 7th week. Your HB level is good. Did doctor say anything about high WBC?

The only other thing I would suggest is not having milk after Iron tablet as Calcium inhibits absorption of Iron in the body. May be you can check with the doctor again :)

Its good Indhu that you are not feeling any Pregnancy symptoms like nausea, vomiting etc.. For me I do sometimes have headaches and pukish feeling.

Yeah we all are waiting for baby movements and our next Anomaly scan.. I am planning for my Anomaly scan in 1st or 2nd week of Nov.. I think by then you, Kalpana and Krithika would have already undertaken Anomaly scan.. :)

8. Alildream

Alildream Gold IL'ite

@ssrt and manju...
    NT results must never be interpreted alone at least in theory as it has low specificity and is only a screening test. It has to be combined with a blood test to increase its specificity. If the results are abnormal diagnostic tests such as chorionic villus sampling or amniocentesis is done.

Reference:
    americanpregnancy.org/birth-defects/down-syndrome/

i really hope this clarifies...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  9. Alildream

Alildream Gold IL'ite

What is actually followed in the hospitals differs as per each practitioner and country. Hence probably some of you have been advised to skip blood tests all together. Perhaps your doctors have weighed in the pros and cons such as your ethnicity, age etc to rule out increased risk...some practices just differ in India and in other countries. Episiotomy is not routinely done in USA or uk whereas in India, it is the norm! Also, in the hospital where I worked, first ultrasound was done as soon as the pregnancy is confirmed to check for the site of implantation, gestational sac etc. but as per routine OBG norms, the first recommended ultrasound needs to be done at 8 weeks or later to check for heartbeat and other parameters...

so ladies, please do not worry about tests, scans or prenatal vitamins... Trust your doctor and have a safe pregnancy!!

1 person likes this.
  10. IndhuRamesh

IndhuRamesh Platinum IL'ite

Hi Kalpana.. Good that your bloodwork came normal. Enjoy.. :)

Hi Manju.. yes I would have completed anomaly scan by the last week of oct. Milk after iron tabs doctor did not suggest. But I am taking to compensate stomach upset as it cools the stomach. I will try to take something else apart from milk to equate. For WBC, doctor told its normal to have slightly elevated WBC in pregnancy.. my normal count before preg was more than 9000. So this count is not a problem it seems. It is a worry only when it keeps on rising fast. I did it again after 1 week and did not raise more than that.