1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cold and cough for 2.5 months old. Please suggest some remedies.

Discussion in 'Infants' started by cutiepie66, Sep 28, 2014.

1. cutiepie66

cutiepie66 Gold IL'ite

My born who was born on july 9th 2014 have cold and cough. Running nose has just started. What can I do to cure her? Any remedies? Am worried.

2. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

Dear Cutiepie,

saline nasal drops will help. but please take her to doctor. she is only 2-3 months, so we wont know if due to cold she has ear pain or throat infection.

and feeding will be little bit difficult as child's nose is irritated, but breast feed her.

and fan, ac keep it at minimums.

I used to use one nasal pump( as advised by doctor) using which I could take the mucus out from babies nose. not sure if it is available in India.

and please visit Colds | BabyCenter

this will give you some information as well.

please take care ,

regards
    resmij

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You can just use saline drops and nasal bulb to remove mucus. If you are breast feeding then it is better to avoid cold items and melons.

If it is severe cold then: Mix breast milk with 1 tsp pure kumkum and apply it on baby's forehead. This is very effective in reducing cold.

Make a pillow out of boiled rice and place baby's head on it. This will help in reducing cold.

1 person likes this.
  4. FallenAngel33

FallenAngel33 Silver IL'ite

Cold is caused by virus. Cold can never ever be caused by cold items, melons...or even bacteria or fungus does not cause cold. Of course there are different types of virus, but all classified under rhinovirus. Only rhino-virus can cause cold, nothing else on this earth causes/aggravates cold.

When this cold virus attacks the upper respiratory system, human body generates mucus, so that virus will be trapped in the mucus & flushed out. Thats the reason mucus/phlegm formed in nose & throat. When virus load is more, we experience runny nose, it’s a high speed cleaning mechanism.

So runny nose/ phlegm in the nose or cold is not a diseases, it’s the body’s own treatment for the actually diseases (viral infection). When body is busy is producing mucus & cleaning virus, if u put saline drops, mucus production will be stopped, & virus will easily spread to lower respiratory system also.

Ok anyway...saline drops for a baby is some wat accepted. But wat is this madam? how can mixture of “breast milk with 1 tsp pure kumkum” effectively reduce cold ???. When this mixture is applied on forehead, how does it kill the virus which is deep inside the tissues/cells ?????? madam ramyaramani, can u plz explain this ? ???

And also how does a boiled rice pillow reduce cold ? ? how does it kill the virus ? ... ramyaramani, this is 2014 madam & u r staying in US ...plz... I did not expect this.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  5. ramyaramani

While having cold drinks or cooling foods does not increase cold, it definitely causes discomfort in throat. It does make it difficult to swallow. This is one of the main reasons why we avoid anything cold while having common cold. While breastfeeding one can definitely see a direct result of mom's eating habit with respect to baby's condition.

Mucus is generated by the body daily. It does not start suddenly.

Whether is it 2014 or 3014, India or US it does not matter, If you choose to follow home remedies you are free to do so. It all lies in understanding the situation, doing proper research and then taking a decision based on mother's gut. If you think people don't follow home remedies in US, then you are in for a surprise. You will find equal number of home remedies suggested and used by people here.

Instead of seeing my babies suffer, I chose to follow some topical home remedies. It helped both my kids very well. Home remedies and grandma medicines have always worked well over generations. The remedies that I mentioned generate heat for the body. In essence they absorb water from the head thereby effectively reducing cold. I did not say it is going to eliminate. While these remedies may look silly, they are all time tested. They do not have any side effects.

P.S: You don't know me to judge me and expect something out of me.

4 people like this.
  6. kaviviru

kaviviru Senior IL'ite

Hello mam,
    Apply brandy to kids palms , legs , back , behind the neck and on the forehead before sleeping .... Instead of brandy you can try with eucalyptus oil as well for cold

7. FallenAngel33

FallenAngel33 Silver IL'ite

I agree that, there will be discomfort in throat. But u have advised mother, not to eat cold things or melons. If mother gets discomfort in throat, how does it affect baby ? Will the discomfort & pain get transferred to baby if mother breastfeeds???? No logic in ur statement.

In a normal person, mucus is generated the nose & throat everyday, which is in a negligible amount. Just to maintain moisture of mucus membrane & to filter dust in air. It suddenly starts producing large amount mucus if its infected with virus. And that is to flush out the viral infection.

From ur above statement it seems ur body is producing large amount of mucus daily...see doctor and rectify it.

Even I follow home remedy like garlic, ginger & tulsi for cold, giloy for fever....etc... And I know scientifically wat is there in garlic, tulsi or giloy...so I follow it..

We r talking about “Cold (infection)” not “Cold (Temprature)”

These mixture will never absorb water from head.... even if it does ...how does absorbing water from head would destroy the virus which is deep inside the cells of upper respiratory system?.

Ya u r free to follow YOUR “non-scientific” home remedies... I never stopped u...but plz don’t suggest such non scientific things to others.

Plz don’t call ur above said remedies as grandma remedies....indian ancestors were advance in science, remedies given by them are truly scientific, many books r available on this subject...definitely wat u have suggested is not grandama remedy nor its scientific..

Even my grandmother has given wonderful home remedies, they r scientific & work well.

I know wat ever u have suggested does not have any side effects...Also it does not have any effect...

I did not judge u,...u follow wat ever u want..its ur wish...but don’t give wrong info to others and misguide... This is an open forum, many people may blindly follow ur non-scientific remedies..

8. sujanags

sujanags Gold IL'ite

OP,
    If the baby has severe cough, not able to sleep and could not drink milk, then please take to the Dr. Saline drops may give little relief in case if the baby cannot sleep well.

9. sujanags

sujanags Gold IL'ite

Elders advise the mothers of newborn not to have cold items...that is because if the mother gets cold and cough, it will be easily transmitted to the baby (because the mother will be the prime care taker of the baby).

ramyaramani has just given her opinions which worked for her and her kids. When people are posting any query, there would be many suggestions. It is up to the OP to research and find out which works for her. If people are blindly following, then that is wrong.

10. ramyaramani

@FallenAngel On an average body produces about 1 litre of mucus every day. Mucus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why do we take steam inhalation? To reduce/ease the congestion. Similarly the methods that I suggested do the same. I am not a research scientist to provide detailed scientific explanation for every thing.

Have you tried the methods that I suggested? How do you know it is wrong information?

It is an open forum. You have no right to tell me what I should suggest. Each one of us are entitled to our opinion. But this being a sensitive forum, I prefer to suggest things that worked with my 2 kids. Time tested GRANDMA remedies. Maybe these are not followed in your culture. But they are in mine. So don't judge without actually experiencing it.

Each and every parent does their research before blindly following anything.

I think my first reply served the real purpose of the thread. I am not willing to take the focus away from this thread. So ciao!