1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can Parents with Biological child adopt?

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by Custard, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Most people like me mearly keep thinking about these things... but cant get the foot right. I bow you for your thoughts and actions. God bless you in abundance.... its noble. Soooo noble.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    3 people like this.
  2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Not sure about rules in India but here in US one can adopt a baby of either sex and most of the times adopting parents don't know the gender in advance. My BIL and his wife adopted 2 children (a boy and a girl) and they have their biological kid ( a girl). Their biological daughter is oldest.

3. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Thank you Riya for the information. Will try to contact them. Thank you Nuss. Great to know about your BIL and his wife.

Dear Roar, Im still like many others, thinking about the plan. Dont know when my dream will come true.

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Custard,

Good luck to you and your husband for getting an adopted child soon. I am not aware of any restriction that you can't adopt the same sex child as biological child. But I know you should have been married for a minimum period and there has to be a gap between ages of biological and adopted child. The agency will scrutinize the parents more in case they have biological child already to understand the true reason for adoption.

It is in your own interest to wait for a few years before you adopt a child after the birth of your biological child. It gives time for you to prepare your biological child to accept the adopted child as a family member. It is very important besides two of you, your biological child accepts the adopted child into the family. You have to ensure the adopted child feels comfortable in every possible way at home. That should be the focus.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

It is not that you should not adopt a baby of the same sex.If you adopt twins, it is allowed. Under Indian Succession Act there seems to be a clause ( which is misinterpreted).The first child will be the legal heir and the second child, if of the same sex, will only be a ward. That is, the adoptee parents can be only guardians to the child and the child will not become legal heir and will not be legally entitled to ancestral properties as a matter of right.
    That is why,some of the agencies insist that if the parents insist on the child of the same sex being adopted,a handsome amount should be deposited in the child's name or a property has to be conveyed so that the second child will not suffer even if a conflict arises later.
    Evidentlly this condition is insisted only for adoption, fortunately not for biological children.
    If the biological child is a boy, it is ok. It may be somewhat easy to adopt a girl as the 2nd child.
    If the biological baby is a girl, then it is almost impossible to get a boy baby for adoption in India, because no mother will be willing to give her son in adoption due to patriarchal nature of Indian society.
    It is great that you have decided to adopt a child and are interested in bringing up them together.
    Children upto 3 will not remember anything that happens around them and they will be prepared to welcome any child.After the first child grows and establishes her/his priority in the house it may be some what difficult. So it is better that the 2nd child is brought home early so they grow together and develop affinity to each other.

Jayasala 42

6. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Hi custard,

Have you been successful in adopting a baby, i am being very excited to know since me and my husband have also decided to adopt a baby after our first biological child. Before marriage itself i discussed this with my husband and took his nod.

As my son is 2.5 yrs old now and all our relatives and friends have started to ask about having second child. So i think this is the right time to start knowing about the procedure for adoption and thanks to IL where i found this topic and hope i would get my answers.

7. IshAsokan

IshAsokan New IL'ite

8. HKR

HKR New IL'ite

Hats off to you ladies!!!