Places of interest around your city /town in UK

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by Sindhurao, May 24, 2008.

1. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hello everyone:

As weekends and bank holidays come, we sometimes wonder what to do. Having come to a new town /city / country we want to explore the interesting places around. Thought we could come up with ideas for a day trip (even few hours is fine) from our place of residence.

I live in a town called Milton Keynes (MK) - a fairly new town (40 years old) but it is strategically located, so quite a few places of touristic interest become a day trip.

Starting with MK itself, we have a museum for rural life, Stowe Landscape gardens, a shopping outlet mall at Bicester (about 40 mintues drive from MK). If we go farther, we have the Birmingham Venkateswara temple ( 2.5 hours drive) and any place in London would be 2 hours from here. There are other places we have been to which could be mentioned as we move on with the thread.

Can you think of places that can be covered in a day? Please share.

Thanks

Last edited: May 24, 2008

2. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Here is an interesting place we have been to - you will like it if you like greenery and hills.

Peak district - lovely hilly area that includes north Derbyshire, greater Manchester, Straffordshire, Cheshire and some parts of Yorkshire as well.

Quite a few interesting caves in this place like the the Peak, Treak cliff, Blue John and Speedwell caverns. There are shops that sell unique semi-precious mineral jewellery. There was this cave called Heights of Abraham which is reached by cable car but due to lack of time we couldn't make it there.
    And then, a rundown Peveril castle.
    Mam Tor is a landslide from the summit of which you have beautiful views. I believe the landslip continues after heavy rains especially and will continue for another 1500 years!
    The villages in Peak district have these well dressing ceremonies when they decorate the village well with flowers during spring and summer - again we missed this since we went in autumn.

These would probably be good to visit for someone in Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield. It was 2-3 hours drive for us.

Sindhu

3. angelwhite

angelwhite New IL'ite

HI sindhu,
    Hope england is treating you well. I love the country...the landscape is just likewhat we read in faritales...We returned from england a week a go.....I miss england soooooo much now that we're back to India :cry:. *Sigh* *Sigh*....btw did you get to go to balaji temple in dudley? I reckon its quite close to where you stay. Then you can make a trip to Lake district...its beautiful. and there is northumberland supposed to be beautiful during fall. and there is a lot of good beaches down south....like bournmouth, brighton, sussex....and to the west there is Devon and Cornwall....and ofcourse there is Scotland and wales...both are amazing!....and thre will be plenty of activities where ever you go.
    Have a wonderful time...and keep us posted on the places you visited.

4. angelwhite

angelwhite New IL'ite

Thre is also ESCAPE in MK...hope you visited there... MK is a nice place. quite diff from the rest of england.

5. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Angelwhite:

I'm so glad you wrote here since it seems a bit surprising that you came to Milton Keynes- you see there are not many interesting places within the city. Yes, I have been to Escape. MK is different from the rest of UK in the sense that it is designed on the lines of US cities. But controversially, the Brits call it a city without a soul!

Haven't been to a whole lot of places in UK. Would love to go Cornwall, Jersey and Southampton down South and Scotland, Yorkshire and Lake district in the north - that more or less covers most of Britain leaving the Midlands!

I would love to go Skanda vale where there is a beautiful temple I'm told.

Will definitely keep posting my visits, looking forward to reading about others' experiences too!

In anticipation then,

Sindhu

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  6. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi sindhu,
    nice thread.
    Great Britain is definitely blessed with great nature!!!!
    i live in the lake district typical countryside and blessed with loads of mountains,lakes.
    some of the lakes you can visit are windermere-this is the largest lake in england and most tourist come here the other side of the lake is ambleside which is also a nice place for picnics etc.you can go on cruise and the village restaurants are really good with their food.
    another lake is wast water which is the deepest lake in england has the samllest church and largest peak-the scafell pike in england.its a great place to visit it's nature at its best!!!!
    other lake is coniston which very good and the attractions here are lake cruises and public paths for walks etc and picnic spots as well.
    other lake is ullswater which has similar attractions.
    regards
    pavi

7. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Pavi:

So glad to have your thoughts here. I agree with you that UK is bestowed with bountiful nature - thanks to the weather which though not liked by us, seems to be working very well for flora and fauna atleast! The weekly or every other week rains (all through out the year) here acts like a natural sprinkler system:)

Thanks for sharing information about the Lake district. I have heard it is beautiful place. Must be really breathtaking in summer. Some of my friends visited the Lake district in May and they mentioned going to Wordsworth's museum and my friend who likes embroidery was mentioning an embroidered chair seat by W's sister! Must be atleast 200 years old!

Mountains and peaks you say - so it must be a good place for trekking. Will have to list these places out so that we will not miss any of them on our trip to Lake district. Summer and spring must be the tourist season there. What about autumn? Are the autumn colours of trees worth a visit? I'm sure they are.

There must be lovely gardens as well. Can't wait to visit the Lakes!

Thanks again.

Sindhu

8. chanjes

chanjes New IL'ite

Hi Girls,
    I am jesse, i live in gloucestershire with my husband and daughter. we have just moved from hartlepool just less than a year ago.

Birmingham safari park is defenitely a place to see in england. you get to see white lions, white bengal tiger, elephants, rino, deer, fox and so many other animals in their natural habitat rather than in a cage. the place also has lots of amusements for the whole of the family and they have a bird eating scorpion but we were not able to see due to short of time.
    Scot land is full of greens and nothing beautiful landscapes. if you visit scotland during the feb and march you can see the mountain peaks coverd in snow and many small streams flowing down from the melted snow.

9. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi sindhu,
    yes lake district is a definite visit for people who want to really see the british countryside!!!
    you can also find loads of walks near the lakes or other famous walks are in grizedale and grizebeck forest.cycling is other option, you can always hire them!!!!
    i have also been to scotland and had gone to lochness!!!!it's and amazing lake don't forget to take the cruise to enjoy the great views of the lake with the mountains behind it.it's also famous for the lochness monster which is beleived to be living in the lake and there has been occasional sightings though loads of research have been done there isn't any concrete information on it.
    you can also visit fort william which another beautiful place and also don't miss nevis range cable cars they also have skiing faciliies in winter!!!!
    other places to visit in scotland are edinbugh castle you can shop in prices street which houses loads of designer labels.
    also loch lomond is another lake quite famous for picnics etc.
    also dont forget to visit st andrews beach thats a nice place as well!!!
    regards
    pavi

10. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Jesse:

Thank you for sharing your UK trips. Welcome to Indusladies. Hope you find various topics of your interest. It can be quite addictive as I have seen!!

Birmingham safari park seems quite interesting especially with the bird eating scorpion!

My children and myself cannot get enough of safaris and zoos. We have been to Woburn safari park in Bedfordshire and we have enjoyed it immensely. There are a few African animals which we haven't seen elsewhere - sorry, can't remember their names. They have a monkey and penguin enclosure which the children will love. It is probably a smaller safari park than Birmingham though.

London zoo was interesting as well with their star attraction gorilla (I think:)). They also have these show demonstrations with owls,cuckatoos and meerkats which everyone enjoys.

Scotland:
    Would love to go there sometime. Scotland is famous for its rolling hills and golf courses. My husband had been to Edinburgh last week but couldn't go sightseeing since he was there on work. Both of us love the Scottish accent:) but it takes me a while to understand the accent!

Do come back here again with your other trips. Thanks.

Sindhu