Folic Acid tablets?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by maha, Apr 29, 2007.

1. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

I am trying to conceive.When i browsed the internet i found that women should take folic acid supplements for about 0.4 mg/day. I also found that folic acid tablets are available and folic acid is found in veg and fruits.If so what type of diet should i take and is it necessary to take these folic acid tablets ? If so what should i ask for in the medical shops and how long can i take them.. As i am doing little bit of yoga, can i do the bending and stretching exercises ?..I hope i can be successful with your caring advices...

Kindly clarify on this..

Regards,

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Re: Folic Acid ?..

Dear Maha,

Yes, you need a good dose of folic acid in pre -conception time itself, as u plan a baby. This is to ensure the spine is strong and to prevent defects like spinal bi-fida. Folic acid also enables conception.

My doc advised me to take 4 mg( I think it was 4mg and not 0.4mg, but pls verify). I take it as tablets.

In natural form, folic acid is found in asparagus, orange juice. A sure way is also to eat corn flakes usually fortified with folic acid. But regardless of how much folic acid you get naturally, best is to take a supplement from atleast three months before conception.

PLS CHECK DOSAGE AGAIN.

Goodluck!

3. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Dear Vidya,

Thanks for your immediate reply. As u said i checked the folic acid details from the foll. link

How much folic acid should I take while trying to get pregnant?

It is said that the intake could vary from 0.4 mg to 4 mg based on the individual. Last month when I went to India, i had a consultation with my doctor and she said everything is normal with me but didnt refer any tablets. Now should i consult a doctor about taking the tablet or can it be taken like a general medicine. Kindly advice..

Regards,

4. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

0.4mg of folic acid is required, not 4 mg.

5. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Hi Sanravi,

Thanks for ur response...Got it..

6. angelwhite

angelwhite New IL'ite

please advice.

Dear all,
    I'm new here and I want to say that this is an absolutely fantastic place....for the last couple of days I've been reading various topics....and finally I've gathered courage to ask what I want to. I'm married for 2.5 years now. My husband and I have been thinking of starting a family we've been trying for just over a month now. what I want to know is
    a) should I visit a gynec and take her advice...or for a normal check up?
    b) should I be taking any vitamin tablets for conceiving? or anything in perticular that is required to conceive.

Please Advice.

7. pav_3

pav_3 Senior IL'ite

Re: please advice.

Hello friend,

since u have been trying for just a month actually there is no need to consult a gyn/ob unless u hve any problem.u can wait for another 6 months n make an pre conception appt.Meanwhile u can start taking folic acid tablets,eat healthy foods n maintain ur weight on track.wish u good luck in conceiving soon !!!

8. angelwhite

angelwhite New IL'ite

thanx Pav3...i appreciate this...btw when shuld I take the folic acid tabs and how many in a day? I already bought it yesterday....thanx once again.

9. pav_3

pav_3 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

The recommended daily intake of folic acid for all women of childbearing age is at least 400 micrograms (mcg), or 0.4 milligrams (mg). Taking folic acid for at least one month before conception reduces the risk of neural-tube defects, such as spina bifida, by up to 70 percent, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.u can take one tablet daily along with a meal of ur choice(either after lunch or dinner). chk out this link Topics for Getting Pregnant - BabyCenter for more info...good luck !

pavi

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
  10. manjur

manjur Senior IL'ite

hi angel,

you can buy ovulation strips avairable in pharmacy's and find your most fertile days of conceiving and can get pregnant soon

hope this helps

manju