1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parenting an only child vs two or more children - Your views

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by LotusAura, Jul 13, 2014.

1. nikitamjain

nikitamjain Silver IL'ite

As such there is no guarantee for anything in life, there are single kids who regret their parents' decision of not having had another child and they are all alone! Its just personal circumstances or personal choice. Whatever is most convenient for the parents.

1 person likes this.
  2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

In spite of all the problems mentioned in Fbs I still feel one should have two children. They would have companionship when they grow (especially when parents are not there anymore, they are a support system for each other. They learn sharing from childhood, doing things together , adjustments, comromising and many valuable lessons and values in life. I am all for two kids...girls or boys, it doesn't matter. Both may be natural, adopted...anything is o.k.

Syamala

3 people like this.
  3. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

Agree. Like I said, it works both ways, there are no guarantees for any choice.

1 person likes this.
  4. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

I have only one daughter. Although she gets the attention of both parents, I feel that time spent with our kids is never enough. I want to talk and do meaningful things with her every time I get a chance.

I don't think I can stretch myself for two kids.

1 person likes this.
  5. joineiti

joineiti New IL'ite

Having a sibling is like ...WOW feeling..
    When after office hours I go home and see my 5 yrs old baby playing with my infant li'l son, its like a satisfied feeling. In every task my elder one seeks togetherness with his little brother.. be it sleeping, playing, smiling, eating ..whatver.
    2 years back, he had started saying ..whom should i play with. there is no1 in the park today.

Alongwith this. when we see todayz life where everybody is goin to live in a nuclear set up, there is no cousins feeling left too. SO, there should be sum1 whom you can call at any point of time in life.. be it midnight.. u cry together, u have deep emotions for each other.. u like each others smiling face.. multiple reasons to have a sibling..

I am very happy to have 2 kids. I feel myself happy to c them doing everything together and in a masti way too.

3 people like this.
  6. seekingbless

seekingbless Platinum IL'ite

i always wanted a bigger family, as both my dh and i are from family of 3 siblings. and i wanted to have 4 kids, we have 2 boys and im 34 this year. i dont think i can have 2 more kids now so will settle with one more kid (preferably a gal).

toddlers are difficult to manage and control, but once they are in school going age it will wonderful to watch them growing up.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

my take is simple ,if you think logically, having even one child is difficult with violence everywhere, high cost of living ,career,no grandparents to support & so on ......and I know atleast one couple who think along these lines & are yet to have their 1st child even after 5 yrs of marriage...

but its just upto you to decide whether your family is complete with one(and it can be no doubts about it) or is their space for one -two more.....and honestly once you have another child ,you never regret that decision but having only child will definitely bring regrets many times over and over in coming years whether you accept it loudly or keep it inside your heart.........

I have 2 sons & I had decided even as young teenager that I will have atleast 2 ....... a most wise decision I took even as naïve teenager.......

1 person likes this.
  8. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

Its my personal opinion only:

When something BIG (good or bad) happens in the family, the only person who can understand what exactly you are feeling; is a sibling. eg; when dad buys a new car, dad may feel happy and proud,mother feels secure and loved...but kids have the same feeling of JOY...they can understand you better than even parents, when it comes to family issues.

I had a looooooong thought about having a second one, but I wanted my first (and second) feel the sibling likeness and love. I have 2 children. 7 yrs apart. Now I see that my second baby feels that she OWNS her bro and my first one has so much love to give! its amazing.

3 people like this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My DH is an only child. My DD was an only child for a while. I didn't want to have another child. I was of the opinion that I can afford more for my child and give her more of my time. Then we moved to India. My DH has cousins whom he is extremely close to. It considered them as SILs and BILs. But end of the day my sister is my sister. My Dh's cousins don't come anywhere close to sibs. The day he told me he wished he had a sibling, I started trying for my second child. I can say I don't regret my decision. I don't think anything material I provided for my dd would have surpassed her brother and the bond they share. I used to think even siblings may not be as close, may not even see eye to eye so why bother. Now I realize that having a sibling growing up is important for the older one. I could never have taught her to love and share and care the way she learned to do with her brother. She has a choice to have a relationship with her brother when she grows up or not to have a relationship with him. He's going to be around for her to exercise that choice. I'm glad I changed my mind.
    Wait, there was another thread about this. Search and you shall find ;) lots of people had poured in suggestions there.

2 people like this.
  10. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

Thanks, those are some valuable points you shared. Indeed the sibling bond is unique and irreplaceable. But somehow, it is increasingly becoming a luxury to have one these days :)