1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The good Samaritan

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Jun 23, 2014.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Just two days before I saw this video in FB. It clearly shows peoples' apathy. Hope that many of our IL friends would have seen it.
    Bleed To Death - Nirbhaya Social Experiment [VIDEO] ~ BestOfVids.net

This video was taken by actor Varun Pruthi to create the Nirbhaya episode. He wore make up that made him look injured and blood-splattered. Throughout the seven minute long video, he tried to stop vehicles on the street, but neither passersby nor those in cars stop to help. Even an unoccupied ambulance driver drove past him. But a crowed of sixty seventy people gathered. "Nirbhaya social experiment," received around a million views. Comments also poured in and at least now the people take some positive steps many lives can be saved.

Last month when we visited Kanchipurm for Lord Varadaraja's Garuda Sevai we both were caught in the crowd at different places. My DH came searching for me. In the mean while one young man who was riding a scooter was caught in between an auto and car and he neither could go ahead nor back out as the handle was stuck and he was requesting for help. My dh who was at the back tried to pull the scooter back and in the melee he got his hand hurt. He didn't feel the pain but blood was oozing out as he was taking blood diluting tablet. Luckily we found a medicine shop in the same street and he bought a Johnson plaster from the shop and stuck it after washing the wound with water. My nephew's wife who was also with us asked him when so many people were there why he took the risk in his old age. He replied that it was a reflex action and it was his second nature to help someone who needs it. I too got annoyed with him for taking the risk.

[​IMG]

When he saw the above video he said that day you told me that when so many people were there why I went to help that young man. If each and everyone just stand as a silent spectator without helping the wounded person as shown in the video where is humanity?
    The good samaritan act of my DH makes me feel glad. There were many acts like this in the past also.

4 people like this.

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpa ma'm,

God bless Uncle for his act. I am sure the good karma will come back to him some day. true what he says... if all of us just stand and stare who will take the first step? just shows that he is more compassionate than the rest of us.(I would have been annoyed (like you :) ) too especially since he has hurt himself in the process )

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear mindi,
    Thanks for dropping in and appreciating uncle for his act. I came to know of his act after seeing his bleeding hand. He has shown his compassion on many occasions on different situations.
    I believe good karma will help the descendants also.
    PS

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpa Mami

True if everyone just watches and does not help then what will happen. Uncle's good act will help him and also the family . My dh is also likethat only, will go out of the way to help people and some take advantage ofhis helping nature and entrust the work to him. The other day also someone wanted his help. Now a days he does not hear properly. One of his friend phoned and told him to stand somewhere , he had to go to the next station. His friend told some other place and mydh was waiting somewhere else.His friend told him and I told where he is staying but I also did not the exact place and his friend could not locate him. My dh went at 4.30 pm and came back at 8.15 pm without meeting the friend. Luckily he said he was waiting in ahall so atleast he could sit somewhere. I felt very bad for him.

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Viji,
    Sorry to hear that your dh had to return without meeting his friend that after going by train to the next station. Previously my dh also was going out of the way to help people when we were at Pallikaranai. After he got his vertigo problem I do not allow him to go alone anywhere.
    Please take care of him.
    PS

6. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Mrs. Pushpavalli,

It is always good to be helpful. We find very few of them these days.

A few months back I was on my way for a wedding. It was raining and I was in an auto. On the way there was an accident. One scooterist had gone into a pot hole and his wife had fallen down and fainted. He was seeking help from everyone to take her to the hospital which is less than half a KM away. No one helped him. He came and asked my auto man. I told the auto man to help and I would get down.

But this auto man refused. He said look elsewhere.........

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear uma,
    Most of the people do not want to help person injured in accident fearing police case. Sad to hear that the auto driver did not want to help.
    Yes, there are very few who help an accident victim.
    PS

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Pushpavalli ma,
    :bowdown: to mama for this selfless act.
    Those who act by their reflexes are good samaritans indeed.

Sriniketan

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Thank you Sriniketan! He always try to help people in distress. When we were at Pallikaranai even at midnight when he heard a neighbour shouting for help, even without telling me he went to their house. But unfortunately when he was taking the old man to hospital in an auto he died on the way. I think I have posted that incident in my snippet.
    PS