at what age you are planning to retire from your IT jobs?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Anvitha, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Anvitha

Anvitha Moderator Staff Member Gold IL'ite

Thanks for liking the thread

exactly IT field is not like 30- 40 yrs long career for women . may be only 25 20 years max I Believe.

Only freelancing we can do after some years lets say after 50's, that to if we are steel feeling to work.

2. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman Gold IL'ite

I think I should be working till the age of 50. I want to work for long time so that I can earn enough money to fulfill all my dreams and hobbies.
    Definitely it was a challenge when my DD was small. Now that she is in school the things are manageable in better manner. Mantra of sticking to one company is working for me too as it has reduced stress to an extent. I did sacrifice on front of promotions/hikes...!

3. littl

littl Platinum IL'ite

may be after 4 to 5 years ... wait a minute i still need jobb.:bonk.
    may be when i make 1 Crore savings ... or probebly if i loose job. :crazy

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Never in my life, I think seeing the way things are going!!

My husband and I were talking about how we looked down upon government jobs when we were these young, impressionable things and ran behind our technical degrees, MS and IT, software,hi-tech.. whatever! Today when we see our 401K balances going up and down, I feel scared as to what our state will be when we are our parents' age and are no longer able/want to work.

My parents, a government employee and a bank employee and FIL - a bank employee... in spite of all the financial commitments are both retired (one of them voluntarily) and earning pension... and not at all financially dependent on us! The house is paid off for, children educated/married all well-settled. They have the nice security of the monthly pension which we won't have.

My plan is if I don't have any money in my old age... I would go and join a math in Kashi or something like that. I don't know my husband's plans ;-)

3 people like this.
  5. Anvitha

same feeling to me peartree.

If Iam still in the govt job application age I would have started writing all govt bank exams.

I feel bank jobs are better for women to balance both career and home. Its by seeing one of our elder cousin. she is 53 ow and will retire in 5 more yrs with a lots of ( say 50 laks) retirement benefits.

she has very flexi timings and has not taken any promotions but she is earning a decent salary.

6. meetmeonline

meetmeonline Gold IL'ite

I have similar feelings Peartree. But, my Dad was a bank employee and according to him, fulfilling targets if you are in higher ranks is quiet stressful. Well, I always wanted to take up job in PSU sector, but unfortunately they have less vacancies. Right now, I do not have a kid. Sometimes, I feel scared thinking how I am going to manage when I have one. If my parents or my in-laws are not in a position to help, will it be better to leave a kid with baby sitter. But, then leaving a job is going to put extra burden on my DH.notdonesmiley I need to lend him a helping hand. So, my clear preference is to shift from IT to lectureship, but yes I need to get another degree for that:coffee, and need to get a job for me. Though, the money from it might not be as much as in IT, but will give me more time to spend with family. Let's see how things will go, but yes I will definitely work or do something to be financially independent and help my DH. :cool2: Ofcourse, we do not have that Pension as in govt job and benefits and I sincerely want someone to change that in Pvt sector as well. :yes:

7. kishoreg

kishoreg Gold IL'ite

Its a never ending story

8. Anvitha

may be never ending but one day company might find a new one and end the story haha

may beafter 5 yrs some more opportunities or doors will open up and i might jump from going to direct IT company. lets say freelancing kind.

Roads and traffic are hectic here in hyderabad thats the main concern.

9. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hey anvitha,
    Nice thread yaar. Definitely every IT employee must have thought about it. Atleast to me, once personal commitments like loads of gold,bank balance of XXXXXXXX amount, loan free house, couple of assets which fetch decents rents/income, a good running business. All these can drive me to take an early retirment!!!!!!!!!Irrespective of age, planning to strive for it, if IT permits!hahahaha!
    We are getting identity because of our profession too, once we quit, we are going to loose our identity for sure!

1 person likes this.
  10. Anvitha

priya_mommy,

every word is my mouth and thoughts I agree 100%

I know i cant even achieve 50% of your goals still i have the same list