1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

facebook = self esteem?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anika987, Jun 24, 2014.

1. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Welcome to the granny club :crazyhugsmiley

2 people like this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I always share pics and such. DH too. I have NICU pics of my son on there. I post periodically to show my friends how far we have come. I do it because I got so much of support during my DS's time in the NICU. I was not up to taking calls and everyone wanted to know how he was doing. I just started posting updates. Everyone was happy and I requested no phone calls.
    Now, every race I run is on there with official timings. The kind of support I get from friends is amazing. I have a friend who started running a while ago. If not for her FB posts of couch to 5k to 10k to half marathon to full marathon to biking to duathalon and most recently a triathlon, I wouldn't have thought running was for me. She is an amazing inspiration and I hope that someday I can inspire somebody by sharing my running success.
    I follow people like me, eceryday people who shared their weight loss and running journey on FB. They are inspirations to many.
    I participate in FB groups for autism. It is a closed group but it is amazing. We share our kids trials and successes there. We get so much out of it.
    If people think I'm showing off my success with running, too bad. They can unfriend me. I don't really care about it. I worked really hard to get here and I'm so proud of myself. I think I earned the right to post these successes.

7 people like this.
  3. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

:eek:mg:.... Am an old woman now :shaking:!!! I dont even have a profile pic in FB.... :bangcomp:

2 people like this.
  4. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

laugh1smiley
    You have IL... so you are safed :cheers

3 people like this.
  5. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

@Laks09: wowoooo you run kneesmiley I adore and respect people who are so sportive, its great. I never thought about the option to share in such moments too, really interesting view you gave me, thanks for that and you are right, its great to use for such options.. and im very touched by your story and how you fought.. having baby in NICU must be such a tough time, i cannot even imagine. That you are there a member of a group for autism is great too, you are such a brave caring mother.. really kneesmiley.. have nothing more to say, thanks for sharing this interesting view and you can be very proud of yourself

3 people like this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

RedRuby,
    i was just trying to point out the plus side of social media. Even with IL some of my friends think it's a waste of time but anyone who spends some time here gets some benefit out of it. There are pros and cons to anything on the internet. It's best if we can sift through it all and focus on the positives. On FB, if someone is that bothersome, I just don't subscribe to their newsfeed anymore or unfriend that person.

1 person likes this.
  7. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

i like lil attention and praise i get there simple.If others find difference in facebook and reality thats their problem that they assume i look like i am in party mood always.

1 person likes this.
  8. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

You are right, it depends on the way we use it, and if we are botherd by the flood of selfies there is a way to not receive them anymore. I know a lot of people, including me, who use it for receiving news and subscribe newschannels. Focusing on the positive is always best and should be done in all areas of life if anyhow possible. What bothers me and causes me to hesitate to upload pictures is that fb has right over them once we uploaded them there. So i use other channels if i need to share pictures with relatives, friends etc. as im concernd what they might do with them. But the way you used it made totally sence to me and is a option i didnt thought of before.

2 people like this.
  9. Binz85

Binz85 Silver IL'ite

Laks09 ditto to every word you said about posting on FB.

If people think posting pics is show off they can always unfriend or hide that particular post.Nobody forced you to be in FB to see all the updates..I actually love to see people posting pics and updates,it motivates me do more different things like painting,photography etc.Even posing for photos is a talent.Not everyone can do it very naturally..