1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help regdg breastfeeding

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by shrutimanjunath, May 28, 2014.

1. seekingbless

seekingbless Platinum IL'ite

hi shruti,
    to increase ur BM u can pump after u have bf ur baby. u may get half or one oz only. but pumping after BF will send message to ur body to produce more milk.
    even at nights u can bf ur baby and comfort sucking will increase BM too.

what type of medela pump that u're using? I have used medela swing and avent manual pumps. i love both pumps and avent is the best for me. it will empty my breasts to the maximum and i had good supply too.
    i bottled feed my first one by pumping exclusively for one year as i didnt know how to hold and bf properly.
    as for my second, i bf exclusively until my maternity leaves were over then continue to pump in my office to keep stock for the next day. and i managed to give only BM for my boths kids until they were one year old.

dont worry. eat healty and drink lots of water with continuing BF on demand.

2. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shruti,

I'm a senior mom to you by 2 months :) Every single thing you have mentioned, I've gone through. So don't worry at all. Looks like your baby is going through a growth spurt (google the term, if you don't know it already). This is the time babies suddenly start acting weird, moms loose half the hairs on their heads thinking whats going wrong and in 3-4 days everything gets normal, like a storm quietened down. :)

Nothing is wrong with your supply. My doc was besides herself with joy when I told her I'm pumping 2oz at 2 months visit. My only suggestion apart from everything other ladies wrote will be, keep taking those fenugreek tablets. They really help.

3. njb

njb New IL'ite

Hi Shruti,

I have been successfully breastfeeding my baby for the last 12 months. Here are my two cents:

Like you already know BF really is all about demand and supply. Most ppl need some time to establish a supply that the baby demands but sometimes they panic that the baby is not getting enough milk and offer baby a bottle which further decreases your supply.Sounds like this happened with you. My suggestion is that if you are a stay at home mom let your baby nurse as frequently as possible. My baby was happy to latch on whenever I gave him the breast, hungry or not because they feel comfort there. BFing is also about nurturing than just nutrition. That should increase your supply. Try squeezing your boob while the baby is sucking so the milk comes faster because now he is used to fast supply from a bottle. Don't worry about the breast shield. Nature has designed our breasts perfectly for our LO's to latch on correctly. All the bottles, plastic nipples, pacifiers try to replicate this perfect design.

Secondly and most importantly, let your baby co-sleep and comfort nurse at night. I know it is tiresome but it helps tremendously with increasing the supply. Your may try to practice the "lying down" position to feed if you do not want to get up to BF at night. A word of caution though, please read about safe co-sleeping arrangement on a reliable website like La Leches League or Dr Sears.I don't know your individual situation.

Thirdly eat dudh dalia, methi, shepu (dill) to increase your supply. Stay calm and relaxed during nursing and trust your body and your baby.

Formula is life saving for some babies who never BF for one reason or other. I myself grew up on it because my mom couldnt BF beyond 10 days, so dont feel bad. You are doing the best you can

Good luck.

You are trying your best to BF him, you

2 people like this.
  4. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

Thanks ladies. You are lifesavers.

Shreya. Which fenugreek tabs are u taking? QUOTE=sweetshreya;3276828]Dear Shruti,

I'm a senior mom to you by 2 months :) Every single thing you have mentioned, I've gone through. So don't worry at all. Looks like your baby is going through a growth spurt (google the term, if you don't know it already). This is the time babies suddenly start acting weird, moms loose half the hairs on their heads thinking whats going wrong and in 3-4 days everything gets normal, like a storm quietened down. :)

Nothing is wrong with your supply. My doc was besides herself with joy when I told her I'm pumping 2oz at 2 months visit. My only suggestion apart from everything other ladies wrote will be, keep taking those fenugreek tablets. They really help.[/QUOTE]

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I forgot about the growth spurt. That's when they latch non stop. Keep latching, this phase will pass soon.
    Fenugreek tabs are available in whole foods. My mom gave me methi though. Soak a couple of spoons in water overnight and drink that water and eat the seeds the next day. Papaya, mushrooms, dill leaves, fenugreek are all lactogenic agents. Try all. Use what works for you.

6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Shruthi

Apart from all the pointers others have given you, I do want to throw this in as well. If you do have ultimately give formula, please do not feel guilty about it.

I had a similar supply issue as well when I had my baby and it felt like I was constantly feeding her, but she would still remain hungry. In my extreme obsession with breast feeding, I had been inadvertently starving her and I was literally shouted at by her pediatrician at her 1 week appointment. I was asked to immediately supplement with formula, and it was the first time I saw my baby peacefully sleeping with a non-hungry tummy I suppose! Even after that, I had somehow had it in my mind that formula is harmful and that baby won't bond and I used to pump like crazy, trying to get her away from formula. At one point, it was as if I was obsessing more about b/f than the baby herself. It took a good scolding from my mom to realize that I was acting pretty idiotic and I decided I would feed as much as I could and supplement with formula. When I made that decision, I think I truly started enjoying motherhood more!

I am not advocating formula or anything, if you're able to b/f, do so by all means. All I am saying is don't feel inadequate or guilty if you have to supplement with formula. I would say my baby was about 30-70 on bm and formula and she is as healthy as any other 3.5 yr old. All the best!

2 people like this.
  7. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

8. velkavi

velkavi Silver IL'ite

Dear Shruthi..

I too agree with cutemonster..be relax and breast feed ur baby..take care of your diet..u wont face this pbm..Eat a lot of food contain protein..I had to take fish for more milk suppy..IF u r vegetarian try having more pulses .Rusk soaked in Milk also help u to incease milk suppy..