1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

How to? Oil Painting, Painting Mud Pots & using fabric pen

Discussion in 'Paintings' started by malspie, Dec 21, 2007.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

I want to paint my Flower Pots made of mud and clay. Can anyone tell me which paint should I use to paint them?? New and old Pots

How to remove the green patches on the used Pots and paint them??

2. krish22

krish22 Senior IL'ite

re: Paintings : Painting Mud &Clay Flower Pots

Hi Mals,

You can use the all purpose acryllic paints for the pots to paint if they are small.Otherwise you can use some general paint either mixed with water or oil if they are large pots.

And for the green patches take a saaand paper and rub on the patch till paatch goes.Please keep in mind that not to over rub as sand paper may damage the pot.

Hope this helps.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi Mals,

Just scrub it with steel wool, all the green mold will leave..then dry it...use the normal paints available, you can paint them in colors of your choice and also theme. now adays we are getting ceramic pots which are already coloured....

4. Kanchi

Kanchi New IL'ite

Hi Mals,
    My friend give me a new idea to paint the pots. First you scrub the pot.First to apply white Paint.Allow it to dry.Then take a half bucket of water. you can spread the acryllic paint{any dark colour} in to the water.now a small paint tins are all available in the market, so it's enough.You just dip the pot and roll, the paint will stick the pot like modern paint look.One are more colours will use this method.But each colour used seperately.

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Thank you all friends for such interesting replies. I never knew it was so easy. Just trying my hand on the pots. I will work on it and get back to you all on the same.

Bye!!

6. preeyamom

preeyamom New IL'ite

Paintings : Oil Painting Instructions

I want to learn oil painting. Please let me know how to start and how to use linseed oil and turpentine in the painting. Also please let me know if there are any hobby classes in bangalore around sivaji nagar.

7. sumitha

sumitha Senior IL'ite

re: Paintings : Oil Painting Instructions

HI,
    Do visit the site oil painting techniques: a free guide where detailed explanations has been given, with step by step instructions on deling with different themes.
    regards,
    sumitha

8. sumitha

sumitha Senior IL'ite

9. dipa19

dipa19 Senior IL'ite

Oil colours r difficult to be removed and linseed oil removes it from brushes with ease, and turpentine is used as thinner, its needed especially when u need 2 mix colours n make new shades

Dipa

10. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Hi, nice that you want to paint in oils.First you have to get the materials, then choose an easy picture to paint, and there you go!you can start painting.
    Materials:
    canvas boards to start with,
    A set of oil paint tubes if you are going to be serious about it, or a few colors like red,blue,yellow,white and black.
    Oil painting brushes , round ,flat, thin and one two inch brush.
    A small bottle of linseed oil
    Turpentine to clean the brushes.Nowadays it is considered to be polluting the air with strong odour so sunflower oil an organic oil is suggested by some.
    A rag cloth to wipe the brushes after rinsing them with turp.
    Varnish to give that protective cover, which has to be given only after three months to allow time to dry completely before framing.

All of these you can get in Micheals or any art store.
    You can use the linseed oil to thin the paint.It takes long time to dry, so each layer should be painted only after the previous one dries, unless you want to blend two colors.

Finally after buying the materials, try to watch oil painting videos in the "you tube", it will be really enlightening and inspiring.
    I am not an expert in oils though I have attempted a couple of pictures. I think that these basic facts will help you to take that leap forward.
    Best wishes, and hoping to see your works soon.