1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Life Journey With My Special Kid!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Swethasri, Feb 25, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Dear,

I wish to give you a very tight hug.You are such a lovely,wonderful mom and I really wish you all the very best for you and your son.God will definitely bestow your adorable son ONLY with happiness and everything in life will go only good for you.God bless you.I wish you and your lovely child wholeheartedly.

1 person likes this.
  2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Swethasri,

First and foremost, please accept my regards! You are one amazing lady.

Many of us do not even venture to have a second child at times because one is exhausted just bringing up one active kid. Here you are, a super mom doing an excellent job of raising your special Boy with love, care and concern. That a second little one is also there is something we come to realize as we read your posts! You never ever once say how much it all is to raise two children....that's how committed and devoted you are to both your kids!

There are many things I can say and many quotes I can add here to make you feel better. Bottom line though is that whichever way we look at it, your job is tough. The way you are going about dealing with your lot is simply awe inspiring and commendable. With the sort of loving attention you are giving your son, he will turn out to be a happy and well adjusting adult.

I may not offer you any tips or advice as members better informed than me have exchanged many ideas and thoughts with you already. Besides, you are the one who will be showing the way to other mothers who may need help going by your posts and experience. All I can say is you are one bright star in the sky that will show the direction to others who may feel they are lost...

God Bless you and your lovely children and my regards also to your supportive husband.

By the way, I became aware of this thread because Laks9, another admirable member of our community nominated it to FP for the month of March. Congratulations!! Sorry it took me so long to visit this thread. But now that I did and read the whole thread, I am filled with awe, admiration and tenderness.

L, Kamla

4 people like this.
  3. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Laks, I am so happy for you that you are connected with other parents that too older parents. After I connected with Dual diagnosis parent group i started feeling out of guilty and i felt I am not alone. They conduct online chat every month and many parents join the chat group and we will have fun talking with each other and sharing our kids concerns and funny things they do.I am glad that you write me about the Autism Awareness Day! I am still learning driving so couldn't go out much. But I am connected in FB so shared few things and likes other friends posts. I feel good for my Boy!

2 people like this.
  4. Swethasri

Reshmi, Thanks for your very kind words and blessings.

5. Swethasri

Kamala, Thank you so much for your very kind words. I do see lot of encouraging and motivating words and I am energized with full of POSITIVE. Thanks Again!

I didnt expect that this thread will nominated as a fine post. Initially i was very hesitant to write here because I am not very good in english both fluency and vocabulary. Actually that is one of my challenge to communicate in US when we landed here. But somehow managed all these years and also needed support from other parents so whatever it is i started writing here.

The foremost reason to write here is i dont see many threads for Downsyndrome and Autism, but i do see one thread called do you have special needs kids but i felt that was not enough. So by sharing my Boy's journey i thought it would be very helpful for other parents. I really want other parents to come forward and share their joy and difficulties to spread more awareness in the society. IL is definitely helping!

Thanks again!

4 people like this.
  6. Swethasri

Reading few books for preparing IEP meeting. I had not prepared like this even for my 12th exams LOL! Waiting for the Autism Evaluation Team to send me their results and recommendations. Once we get them we will know what exactly we need to expect from the school regarding the services.

Here I wanted to share the Family Support. Very frankly speaking i have ZERO family support from the beginning. when my Boy was born i was in touch with my family till he was 4 but all i heard from my immediate family is to recite slokam and mantras. I understand that those slokas and mantras will give immense power but unfortunately they dont want to really support me on my day to day or gathering information and letting me know that they are there for me at anytime. I also understand that my Boy is the only one with dual diagnosis of many generations and there were no awareness in the family but they dont want to even try to learn instead started criticism in many ways which was awful. I came to US when my Boy was 1.10 years after that all my family got jealous that I am living a luxurious life in US. I grasped everything and at one point in time i completely disconnected them.After my Boy was diagnosed i actually stopped going to any functions and festivals to avoid negative energy and/or attitude towards us. Also my husband's family except 1 or 2 family, all wanted to be away from us because of the initial fighting and also the diagnosis. Both the families are really scared that we may ask them HELP! Anyway I am not worried too much because God closes one door He opened the other door for us, there we found lot of support and we are good in the hands of HIM and we are trying to get as much support as possible.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Swetashri,

I totally appreciate and understand the efforts you have put into writing about your day to day efforts to raise your son, a special need kid. This will be immensely appreciated by those who need such guidance. This will stay as a reference point to those who may need it.

This is a selfless thing that you are doing in spite of being a very busy mother. My hats off to you.

All the best to you and your family, especially the little hero!

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  8. Swethasri

Everything is going good! Weekend was good, we did some shopping. We went to the mall just like that and found a stealing deals on men and women winter clothes. So hand full of shopping bags and face full of smiles! Both my boys behaved very well. My Boy was trying to bolt but (we had a bad experiences that I am going share here) we caught him and after that all our eyes including the little one's was on my Boy.

We had 2 bad incidents because of my Boy bolted and ran away. One is when we went to a playground he was on the top of the slide and sitting there but he didnt slide down. The little one was asking water so i was giving him water and also had an eye on my Boy. But it was just a blink he was missing!we immediately realized that he was missing and started looking for him. After 5 five my husband went little far of and started looking it was a awful scene that my Boy actually ran into the muddy pond which has water till his chest. An man was lifting him from the water and trying to bring him up by the time my husband went there and brought my Boy. It was a very scary scene!

Another incident is we recently moved to a different town so both my kids were kind of home bound so we were planned to take them to a park and then to a dinner to my Boy very favorite restaurant. But when we entered the park, the swing was occupied by other kids and he got frustrated and started yelling. I was holding his hands and he slipped my hand and ran away. The unfortunate thing is park gate were wide open because soccer game were going on and after the gate its a parking lot and after the parking lot its a 35 miles main road!!!! we didnt knew it because its all a new place for us and i fell down in the step and broke my tail bone. So i reacted little slow. But my Boy was very quick. What happened was a my Boy was hit by a car!! By the time i lifted him and brought him near the gate and he was hit in the mouth and lost 5 teeth and blood was streaming from his mouth. A nurse from a children's hospital was watching his son playing soccer game, helped my Boy to stop the blood. the game was stopped all the crowd watching game surrounded us and few kids their were cried by seeing my Boy and me screaming and crying. My husband was holding the little one and he was in the top bench and saw the car hit my boy but he was helpless screaming to hold him but unfortunately ...... then he called the 911. OMG!!! Fortunately the driver was very good because she hit the breaks suddenly and turned the car into the opposite lane.

So my Boy didnt had any major injury except his lost teeth. Thank GOD!!When we took him to the dentist the next day, he again tried to run away. I was in depression for a month and was unable to concentrate on anything. My friends were helpful to console me. that was very helpful.

Anyway, so what I am trying say here kids with Autism try to run away from the place where they dont like or just for fun. My Boy loves to chase him so he does not know the safety awareness and he runs just like that. So I am going to share a link that has lot of information about the safety.

AWAARE - Autism Wandering and Elopement Initiative I found this website very useful. Its full of information about safe guarding our kids from dangerous bolting and running away.

9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Swethasri,
    I'm so tired of handling a bolting toddler. Wonder how you do it. I have a shoulder injury and it's exasperated because I'm trying to prevent my LO from bolting in parking lots. Therapy is helping. He now stays without bolting in parking lots certain times. Bolting in the mall still frustrates me. I use a leash sometimes. I get stares from other moms. They think I'm ill treating my son but I'm keeping him from getting lost.
    I was seriously thinking of getting a trained dog. The dogs are trained to stay with special needs children and prevent them from getting into trouble. Have you thought about one? The additional work with a pet is the only reason I'm not getting one. Especially, going to India etc will be tough leaving the pet.

Laks

10. yahu

yahu Silver IL'ite

A very good effort swethasri.........Hats off to you...........

A special child is a god's gift......Anyway you are lucky one to had the gift.........

1 person likes this.