1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Your baby's first visit to public places

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by uma321, Apr 9, 2014.

1. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

My son is 7 weeks old and doctor advised us to wait till 8 weeks to take him out in public. Since my mom is here to help us, I want to take her to nearby place for visits.

I'm not sure how long I need to wait for 5-7 hours travel with my son. We're also thinking of taking my mom to DC in July and my son will be in 5th month by then. Is it a good idea to go on a vacation with 5 months old baby?

It's will be peak summer by that time and I don't know if it's a good idea. Let me know mommies.

2. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP, I think you can wait. I don't know how far the baby can hold up on a 5 hr trip.Babies will be very delicate this small.Mine is will be 4 months old in a few weeks and I am scared to even take him on small trips like grocery. See if you can manage small trips.That way baby wont tire easily and you can also enjoy the trip rather than calm the baby all along . Good Luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Uma with S we took her to Denver when she was 5 months old. It was little tough but doable. We couldn't visit as many as we would have. Flight journey was a breeze though thank god we lucked out. 5 hr journey in car may be tough as baby is small and lot of baby hate the car seat so may scream every now then. You should be prepared to take breaks. Other than we took S for walks from 45 days onwards but ensured it was not in crowded place. When I took her to park for walk I used to put an insect repellant cover on the stroller. So in short its tough but doable.

1 person likes this.
  4. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

OP,
    I'll also advise you to wait until your kid is 6 month old. I started taking out my DD once she completed 6 week but that was only for eat out and grocery as i didn't have any one to help . I went home town (24 hrs train) when DD was 3 month old and it was nightmare. But we didn't take her for leisure trip till she was 8 month old.

1 person likes this.
  5. Binz85

Binz85 Silver IL'ite

I started to take him outside since he is 2.5 months old like church,mall etc.But once a week or so.And when my DS was 5 months we did travel 7-8hrs . We took 5-10minutes break every 1 hr actually to feed/diaper change etc.it was not difficult for us as the climate was mild and he was happy(no cold/fever).If it's peak summer avoid outdoor places and rush days like holidays.Use window shades in car.

1 person likes this.
  6. lifeisajourney

lifeisajourney Silver IL'ite

hi uma

I think my story is quiet different from others I travelled to India with my first one when she is 8 weeks old to India I didn't have any one and DH started new job which requires him to work on some nights so the India trip, nothing significant happened except me with a ceaser I cldnt walk faster and found it frustrating other the baby is ok with the 15 hr. long travel, she slept most of the time. she used to wakeup for the feeds and I cuddle her and talk to her when she is awake and when its time she drifted to sleep

similar with the second one we went on atrip in a car when the second one is at 10 weeks most of the time she also slept

but for the elder one when I am returning from India she is 6 months old and by that time she is already on her tummy and trying to crawl and sit and that journey is frustrating she cldnt sleep and all the time she want to be on her tummy and practice her crawling and sitting stuff. and technically its not possible in the flight and I have to carry her all the time, that journey was tiresome for both of us we came home and slept the whole 2 days waking for only feed

1 person likes this.
  7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Uma My first trip with my DD was to India when she was 6 months old. It was manageable.With my DS I had no choice to but to take him along with DD for her school/library/soccer classes even farm visit. I started doing this when he was 7 weeks old. But of course his first visit before starting all this was to the temple.We took him on a 4 hour car ride when he was 4 months old. I was driving. He slept through the way and did not get up even once. *Thank God* I would say you can do it at 5 months. Since it is going to be peak summer I would suggest you to limit your outdoor visits before noon or after 3 PM. You can visit the museums or indoor attractions during the peak heat hours. That way he is not in the sun too much. Look at the positive side DS will get enough Vit D!

1 person likes this.
  8. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks ladies. We're planning to take him out slowly for 3 hours trips. We won't be driving 5 hours. The total trip would be around 5-6 hours.

I bought car charger for my medela pump and I'm planning to pump in the car when we go outside.

He is going to get 2 months shot in a week and we'll start taking him out 2 weeks after the shot. I'm quite excited. :)

9. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

We took my son out before he was 8 weeks old...but only for drives, and with no contact with the public. We did this because we were all going crazy sitting indoors!!! His first trip out was when he was just over 2 months old to the grocery stores. By 3 months we were making all day trips :) we lived in a small town, and the closest temple in Chicago was 2 hours away. It was uneventful. We had toys hanging from his car seat and he was content. Maybe it was just my kid, but he never had issues in the car seat and has always been a good traveller. At 6 months we did a 6 hour journey for a 3 day vacation.

1 person likes this.
  10. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks DKI. We took 3 hours trip last weekend and he was calm most of the time. We'll be taking him out more from next week onwards.