1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to Detroit...plz help

Discussion in 'Indians in Detroit' started by kavikish, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Minoou

Minoou New IL'ite

Farmington Hills, Bloomfield, Troy, Northville, Plymouth, Canton all are suburb of Detroit and with lots of Indian population.

2. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

How old are your kids? You already declined the offer so no point looking back. To me it seems very ideal that both of you found job in same location, what is the probability of spous working in same building. I was under the impression that you were staying home mom, so 30 min drive for one person isn't too bad. It also sounds like you are planning on working whether it is closer to home or having a home closer to work.

If I had known both of you are working & want to live close to work, I would have suggested appartment on downtown Detroit (like lafayette Park where lot of young professionals live). Then I would have suggested to send your kids to privet school, which many parents are doing who live in that area. No desi zone but you can visit desi area in weekends. However cost of privet school might not be worth it & if you have older kids, they might not want to go to privet school.

I understand your concern, finding work close to home is best

3. kavikish

kavikish Senior IL'ite

Thanks Kera for the continuous support you have been providing me in this. Well, though we declined the offer, we have been contacted again with some more additional perks :) So here is the situtation, both me and my husband get a job at the renaissance center. I have 2 kids, one less than 2 years old and the other is in first grade now. Having said this, what would you do if you were me :) As a really concerned mom, to me family and kids are more important than anything else. So they would be my first priority. What are the chances of us getting this resolved with no impact to the kids. Please advice. I rely on your response a lot now :)

4. divi87

divi87 Senior IL'ite

Hi KaviKrish,

Did you move toMichigan? If so, which location n apartment you chose. I am in the same situation Will be working in downtown detroit and looking for good apartments. Please share your idea.