1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to Detroit...plz help

Discussion in 'Indians in Detroit' started by kavikish, Feb 20, 2014.

1. kavikish

kavikish Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    We as a family are planning to move to Detroit soon. We would be moving from Arizona for my husband's job. I have 2 kids one in Elementary and the second one is 2 yrs old. I've been searching online for some good apartments, safe neighborhood and kid/family friendly environment in Detroit. But most of the reviews say that Detroit is not a safe place to live :( which scares me to death. I would love to hear some feedback on this place especially from indian community. Can someone please help me here. I prefer staying in a place with a lot of indians, with some good elementary schools around. Chances are that I might end up in a job myself, so a good daycare would also be in my list. Please, plz,,plz...provide some safe communities in detroit. I totally rely on you guys.

Thanks,
    Kavikish

2. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

Where in Detroit is your husbands job located? Detroit itself is not a good city to live in and very few people actually live in the city. This being the car city, most people live outside of the city & drive as needed. The suburb of Detroit is safe, depends on which suburb ur going for.

For example, while Detroit is rated as one of the most unsafe place in the country
    The city of Troy, right outside Detroit 20minute drive, is rated as one of the most safest city in the country.

So I would suggest look outside of Detroit. "Troy" is a great location with good school system. Lot of desi people live in that area, it is expensive. "Bloomfiled"/"Farmington Hill" area is another good location with lot of Indian. They also have lot of appt. This is assuming your husband is working north of Detroit. If his work is south of Detroit, then "Canton" has a huge Pakistani community and is safe.

It depends which side of Detroit you want to live in. But definitly live outside of Detroit unless you want to be hip and live right downtown. That is a good area too but for the young hipsters.

3. kavikish

kavikish Senior IL'ite

Thanks Kera for your reply. My husband's workplace address would be 200 Renaissance Center, Detroit, MI. I hear that this is in the very center of downtown Detroit. So what would the nearby good family friendly, nice schools suburbs???

4. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

Aww he will be right on the river. Beautiful location for work. Unfortuantly, there are few nice apartment buildings close by that I would say again "hipster" & "young professional" type of people live who do not have kids yet. You would have to look for house in the suburb depending on how long of a drive your husband is willing to do. An average drive is about 30 min, which can turn into 45 min drive during winter. But you will find good location in 30 mile radius of Downtown D.

Find a place close to I-75 freeway, then his drive won't be bad. If you look at the map of Detroit & follow I-75 freeway. Start at Renaissance Center and move north. Here is a low down of some of the major city you will see on the map.

1st up Hamtramck - a 2.5 mile city. Highly desi populated, mostly Bangali-muslim. Think of Astory, Queens in NYC. That type of area. Not very high educated people, school is ok-ish at best. A desi ghetto but you have desi. All the saree shop you can want in one place & grocery. Great place to do your weekly shopping. I wouldn't recommend this city to live in, althought I grew up here & love the city. It is not easy to feel comfortable here.

2nd Royal Oak/Frendal area - not many desi here. It is designed for upscale young kids party area. Once people have family they move out of this "happening" city and go for something quieter. This city is safe and not linked to Detroit but is very close to downtown. Lot of people rent in this city

Madison Height is good area. There are desi but being suburb not everything is close together. Not sure about school but never heard bad things about it. I would say anything north of 12 mile is good place to stay.

There is also Dearborn on west of Downtown D. Not many desi but you will find more than enough arabic people & hookah bar.

My suggestion anything north of 12 mile close to I-75

5. kavikish

kavikish Senior IL'ite

HI Kera, thanks for your suggestions. I've been hearing about Troy a lot and that the schools are great, Any advice on that? If good, would that be close to my husband's office and by close here I mean less than 30 mins drive. If this would not be close enough, what would be the one area where the drive is less, schools are good and the environment is family friendly? Please help. I know I'm asking too many questions, It is juz that all of this move was a sudden plan and I'm not yet prepared for it.

6. kavikish

kavikish Senior IL'ite

Also anyone of you and your husbands working for Ally bank? Please ping me if yes. I have few questions on the workplace.

7. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

I think I mentioned in my first post, Troy is a good location. It will be 30-45min drive. Depends on where in Troy. Stay in south side of Troy so the drive is shorter but you still get great school

1 person likes this.
  8. kavikish

kavikish Senior IL'ite

Sure. Will look into apartments at Troy Kera. Thanks so much for your help.

9. sangi119

sangi119 New IL'ite

Novi/Northville is a great area. Its about 30-35 mins drive to Renaissance center, and lots of desis live in the area. It has great schools too.

10. kavikish

kavikish Senior IL'ite

Thanks much for all your responses but we had to reject the job offer at detroit. The reason being, I got a job at Detroit too - Renaissance center and having 2 kids (one in preschool and other at Kinder) we were not sure, we both of us travelling that distance (atleast 30 mins) everyday was worth it. What if there was an emergency at school, then we would be really far off from the kids and we did not want any mishaps. Do you galz think we made the right choice???