1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need help finding good apartments and schools in Jacksonville, FL

Discussion in 'Indians in Jacksonville' started by kavikish, Dec 21, 2013.

1. kavikish

kavikish Senior IL'ite

HI friends,
    We are planning to move to Jacksonville, FL sometime during mid Jan. My husband's office is located at Gate Pkwy. I hear that there is a lot of Indian community at Southside and Saint johns county. Considering that the distance from these places to his office would not be too far, I am looking out for some apartments (with good elementary schools nearby). Can you please help me find one.

Also would love to make friends with ppl who stay in this area. Your response would be a great help. TIA.

Thanks,
    Kavikish

2. RadhaMandi

RadhaMandi New IL'ite

Hi Kavikish

Good to know you are moving to Jacksonville. I have recently moved Jacksonville. My son is in India. He will be coming here in Feb...So i am also looking for school and apartment. I have done some analysis about schools. But not yet decided about it. Keep in touch...Both of us can together search for school and apartment.

Thanks,
    Radha

3. kavikish

kavikish Senior IL'ite

Hi Radha,
    Sorry, I know I've taken a while to respond but I missed ur response earlier.
    I'm almost done packing and all set to get there. Should be there end of this month. So which part of Jacksonville are you. I plan to settle in southside and also decided to go with Mandarin Oaks elementary school for now (my kid is in elementary). What about you. What have you planned for? PM me if you not comfortable sharing info here and we can take it from there.

4. PraveenPriya

PraveenPriya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Kavikish,

I will be moving to Jacksonville in March. Can you tell me how do you commute to school? Is school bus available? I do not drive. So I want to know this info before selecting an apartment.

Thanks
    Pr

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Check out the bus rules with the schools. I know in my area there is a step system based on age and distance from the school in order to have bus service. So a kindergarten student here would walk any distance under .3 miles, whereas a high school student would walk anything under 1.5 miles. I mention as a distance slightly over the line will assure you of bus service. I don't know what the rules are in Florida.

6. PraveenPriya

PraveenPriya Bronze IL'ite

Hi tashidelek2002,

Thank you for replying. Let me check the school websites if I can get any info.

Regards,
    Pr

7. malathivinf

malathivinf Senior IL'ite

hi friends,
    i am moving to jacksonville from nj by the end of feb. my daughter is 5.3 yrs old. she is now in pre.kg since her cutoff date for kindergarten is elapsed by 10 days.what is the procedure there.please let me know about pre.kg admission there.

Thanks,
    mv

8. kavikish

kavikish Senior IL'ite

malathi,
    Since I've moved here with a first grader I do not have much idea on pre-k :( But let me see if I can ask around for you. Being new, I'm still making frnz and so it might take a while for me to revert.

Priya,
    regarding the buses, yes, you might want to chk the school websites and contact them individually for more info. Each school differs and it is better to talk to them directly. My kid who is in 1st grade takes a bus to school and I spoke to the school before we moved it. His school is more of zone based and I made sure I picked an apt in his school zone.

9. malathivinf

malathivinf Senior IL'ite

hi kavi,
    thanks a lot for your information.i am finding good apartments nearby southside.
    Please let me know if any..we are moving on march 1 der.we are getting confused by seeing the reviews about the apartments..plz reply me soon.
    thank you,
    :)malathi.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  10. kavikish

kavikish Senior IL'ite

HI Malathi,
    I sent you a PM yesterday. Did you get a chance to see it?