1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Even i am searching for the word south and moved to the 2nd page of forum in search of it....

1 person likes this.
  2. mahesaran

More and more of paratha lovers...... hmmmmm

now a days i don't like aloo paratha and even though i add more green chilli i feel it is taste less. but moved to other options like panner, toffu, baby corn, carrot, cabbage, palak everything.All are stuffed parathas. Hubby and ds are big fan of parathas and only thing i hate is hubby will ask some gravy type side dish of parathas also...even though i always have chat chutney(both sweet and green), he won't be satisfied

3 people like this.
  3. mahesaran

Mathi, Thank you so much for the no oil pickle. Waiting for the season of mangoes....

1 person likes this.
  4. mahesaran

Last week was a trial week for me with Jowar.I made jowar+cracked wheat + urad dal batter. I planned for idli, but it is not so soft, so i made dosa... a big hit with hubby and ds as it was so crispy.
    Then another trail for Jowar pop corn. come out well. Even the unpopped corn are so crispy and ds told to keep it in a box for next day:)...

4 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

popping them in clay pots was a favorite with my granny when we were kids..they taste more nice then even the corn one..a little chilli powder and rock salt and wow..finger licking...great going mahe

3 people like this.
  6. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

yeah parathas are the best! i just had methi paratha for breakfast... :D your LO is like me mathi...fan of roti for life...lol..i can't leave my roti for anything in this world..

there's one that i make with cabbage, onions, carrots...mixed paratha..it's yummy!

1 person likes this.
  7. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

ooo i just noticed..ok so now i can post my pics too...but my plates aren't that creative like u guys....roti is almost always there... lol...

1 person likes this.
  8. JeyaEdison

JeyaEdison Bronze IL'ite

To those who are on diet, just would like to share this with you, on CURD & Chilli powder in Diet food, take it if you like, discard it if you don't agree, its my personal experience, thought of sharing.

I noticed few of you, consume curd in your daily diet, I mean you guys cut everything else and eat curd rice thinking that is healthy. But NO, That will bloat you up, bloat your stomach. Curd is very good for health, but if you're dieting....its Carbohidrate. Rice is Carbohidrate and so are bread. So take just of of those carb. We tend to eat curd with rice, its double carbs in your daily diet. Though curd is very good for health, it has the tendency to make your stomach bloat. Try cutting curd from your diet for 1 week and you will see the difference in your stomach area. But for vegetarians, you guys can't help it, only curd makes your stomach full. Maybe you can try eating soup based dishes in place of curd rice. The liquid in soup, makes our stomach full too, like noodles soup, tomoto soup with croutons/bread pieces, lentil soups etc

Next...chilli powder. Ok let me tell you I don't understand why, but chilli powder gives the same bloating experience in your stomach area. There was one who year long back I had to travel out of country to a place where there's no Indian food and everything else which was very fatty in nature, fresh vegetables, steam cooked, fried food every kind of unhealthy diet that u could imagine. In that process I lost my stomach fat, my stomach was flat. When I went back home immedietely within 3days, i gained back my belly fat, eating our regular home cooked food which included, Curd, kulambu. Since then on, I noticed the combination of chilli powder and oil makes it slow digestion and bloats your stomach, but, everywhere. I stopped eating kulmbus/ chilli powder graavy now completely.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    2 people like this.
  9. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

Not sure if this is Indian or not.. but wanted to post... I have been following this thread but not posted yet.. I am mostly interested in healthy low salt/low carb/high fiber lunches as well as dinners.

My MIL has kidney issues and is pre-diabetic, along with thyroid issues and obesity related complications. My FIL is diabetic and my mom has thyroid issues and is obese.
    So trying to learn about low salt diet, vitamin content, etc and pass on any information (whether they are willing to listen or not :) )

Anyway, lunch today was Cow pea and veg salad and fruit smoothie. The salad has no added salt.
    Basically, boiled cow peas, carrots, beans and broccoli - sauteed in some oil, with some garlic. I read that freshly ground black pepper+lime juice is a good substitute for salt, so added that at the end. I did not miss salt.
    I calculated the nutrition and it has approximately 200 cal, 30g carb, 10g fiber, 50mg sodium.Lots of Vit A and C.
    CowPeaVegSalad.jpg

Smoothie had strawberries,blueberries, apple and yogurt. It has 130 Cal, 27g carb, 5g fiber, 50mg sodium. Lots of Vit C.
    FruitSmoothie.jpg

10 people like this.
  10. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

Lunch today

Methi roti, broccoli stir fry, curd with cucumber, barley with veggies [like khichdi], n red pepper , cucumber salad

IMG_3285.JPG

12 people like this.