IUI: Queries & suggestions!

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Rad, May 13, 2008.

1. Rad

Rad Bronze IL'ite

Hi

has anyone had IUI and conceived??? and are IUI babies normal like other babies born naturally??? and is the procedure painful???

if anyone knows the details, pls let me know..

2. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Re: Are IUI babies normal?

Hi,

Please let me too know about the procedure - how it felt personally. I know what will be done but I would like to know from your personal experiences. Thanks in advance.

Radhika, I think babies born out of IUI will be normal. In IUI, the good sperm is directly injected into the uterus, thus increasing the chances of conception. So there is no reason why a baby conceived through IUI should not be normal.

Regards,
    Anitha

3. kads

kads Senior IL'ite

Hi
    My frnds baby is with IUI n he is like all the other babies(actually this question make me laugh )yhe procdure is vry simple n no pain atall..
    anything else let me know as i hv bn with my frnd all the time during hr IUi to her pregsncy and birth of his baby.

4. priyanka

priyanka Junior IL'ite

Hi Radhika and Anitha,

You might have read the medical version of IUI,so i won't go into the details.

I had my IUI twice.Normally all doctors prefer doing it twice ,Consecutive months.Some patients then continue the process and get IUI done 5 to 6 times too.

It is not at all painful.It is same as penetration.The only difference is that a soft plastic syringe with a long nozzle is used to inject the sperms.It hardly takes a minute.Then you have to lie down for 20 mins.

There is not much difference in IUI and concieving normally.The only difference is that the sperms are checked and only the best and healthy ones are injected.So the chances of concieving increases and the babies are perfectly normal.

Hope this clears your doubt..
    Regards
    Priyanka

3 people like this.
  5. Rad

Rad Bronze IL'ite

thank u priyanka...ur reply is encouraging

6. queenathome

queenathome New IL'ite

Hi Piryanka

DId you conceive the second time around. I just had my second one done as well and feel quiet discouraged today.

Hi Rad- are you planning on going this route, It is okay, I did not like the insemination because they used this equipment to open the cervic, but its really not that bad. Also you mite have to give yourself an hcg shot...again not that bad I did it myself and I am not in the medical field.

cheers

7. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Hi Priyanka

My gyn has advised me for IUI. Are you now pregnant by IUI ??? Any idea about the success rate? i was told that hormonal level also need to be right. Did u take any hormonal injections like Hmg, Hcg.

Please share more details. Will be really helpful:bowdown

Luv

Ridge

8. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

If anything, I think IUI babies would be more normal than regularly conceived babies. Reason being that for an IUI the sperm is washed to select only the most healthiest. Many miscarriages, birth defects, chromosonal problems etc can occur due to less than prime sperm impregnating the egg. This greatly decreases with an IUI where only healthy sperm get used.

Generally you take either clomid or injectibles such as gonal-f to develop the eggs properly, then when the time is right, an HCG shot is given to trigger ovulation and then between 24 and 48 hours after the HCG shot, the doctor will perform either 1 or 2 IUI's. The procedure itself takes no more than 5 minutes, and you are advised to rest for 20 minutes before leaving.

In my case, I had 2 IUI's at 16 and 36 hours after my HCG trigger shot. The first IUI was painless, but I had significant cramping after the 2nd one for about 15 minutes after the IUI. Due to the grace of god and my elders blessings, I conceived with the first cycle of IUI.

To make an IUI successful for conception, I received the following tips from my friend who is an accupuncturist and naturopath who practices ayurveda and traditional chinese medicine.

1. Completed bedrest for 4-5 days after your IUI. This is to conserve your body's energy so that it can concentrate on conception.
    2. No excercise except light walking for 2 weeks after IUI.
    3. Eat lots of protein rich foods. In moderation, eat eggs, soya and chicken products, You can drink milk and whey protein products and eat lots of nuts and seeds such as sunflower, walnuts, almonds etc. Aim for atleast 75 gms of protein a day. Your body needs the protein to help the egg fertilization process and help the egg implant properly into the uterus.
    4. Keep a positive frame of mind and pray to god to help you at this time.
    5. Do breathing excercises or light yoga and imagine the egg being fertilized and implanting properly in your uterus and having a healthy and safe pregnancy.
    6. Drink lots of water, atleast 8-10 glasses a day, preferably at room temperature.
    7. After the IUI, keep your stomach covered and protected from wind for atleast a week. Your womb needs to stay warm to aid conception.
    8. Even before your IUI, start taking a pre-natal vitamin and a DHEA supplement. The DHEA supplement is especially important for vegetarians as it contains Omega 3 fatty acids that aid greatly in conception and maintaining a healthy pregnancy. Additionally, studies have shown that babies whose mothers took DHEA during their pregnancy score higher on IQ tests as kids that those whose mothers did not take the supplement.

Sounds like a bunch of hocus-pocus, but it seems to work for a lot of people, including me!

Hope this helps everyone. Wishing everyone a safe, happy and healthy journey to motherhood.

Regards,

Pooja

Vijigopal, meenueash, rishu14 and 4 others like this.
  9. priyanka

priyanka Junior IL'ite

Hi All,

There are many different factors in a women’s body, which help in the formation of a life. Even today where many things are being done artificially, still Doctors don’t know how all things come together and fall into place.

Queenathome and Ridge -I did not get pregnant by IUI .But then did ½ IVF+½ ICSI and now 5 months pregnant. Many try IUI before going through IVF(if no major problem).But I did see other patients who were with me during IUI getting pregnant.Have faith.

Before IUI my Hysteroscopy was done to check the tubes.All the blood tests were done to check the harmone levels and my hubby was also checked.Next Cycle the IUI procedure started.I took Clomid from 2<SUP>nd</SUP> day to 6<SUP>th</SUP> day of my cycle.On 5<SUP>th</SUP> and 7<SUP>th</SUP> day I took HMG 150 injections.The scan was done on 9<SUP>th</SUP> day and Pregnyl 5000 inj was given to release the eggs and IUI was done on 10<SUP>th</SUP> and 11<SUP>th</SUP> day of the cycle.Then I was on Progestrone . The dosage of the injections differ from person to person.

Pooja has given really good tips and I definitely agree with her.I think the biggest mistake done by me was not taking care and rest.I was with my inlaws and was doing all the housework by myself.Doctors say to be normal but I do feel one should behave like a patient after IUI .I did not repeat my mistake during my IVF and concentrated only on myself forgetting the whole world.

Everything will be fine.Just relax and take things easy.

Regards
    Priyanka

1 person likes this.
  10. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Thank you, Pooja & Priyanka :bowdown:bowdown!!! Priyanka , Congrats on your pregnancy!! Wish you a safe journey towards motherhood.:2thumbsup:

Your posts really burst my myths and doubts on IUI. In addition to this, I was also diagonised of subserous fibroid, which needs laproctomy. After this I will be going for IUI. My mom has agreed to stay with me till my venture is successful. Will follow all the tips of Pooja.It came at the right time.

Keeping my fingers crossed....

Thanks a lot

Ridge

Last edited: May 25, 2008
    1 person likes this.