1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How to retain the rice texture while making briyani

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Cindhuja, May 18, 2008.

1. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

hi all,

We used to make briyani quite often. Whether i prepare or my MIL does the taste is really gud. Many appreciate it. Still we dont get the thin & lengthy texture in the rice. Though not out of form, it is not like we c in hotels.

My prep method is:

Saute all the necessaries add washed rice( i do not soak the rice nor saute it ) . Let it boil without lid for few mins once boiling pt rises, i cover the pressure cooker (no whistle) keep it in sim till the water evaporates(kindle it then & then slightly to avoid sticking).

Does soaking the rice brings any diff. Some say we can retain the texture only if we opt for dum briyani or boil rice separately and mix the masala. But many of my relatives retain the texture by adopting my method as i mentioned above.

Pls can anyone help with this.

2. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Cindhuja,

The type of rice used should be good quality basmati ; only then lengthy grains & aroma will be there. Yes, soaking for at least 30mins. is A MUST . Wash the rice well once, then soak in cold water for 30 to 40 mins. Soaking makes the grains elongate and prevents breaking while cooking. Then drain the water and set aside for 15 mins.

Meanwhile can saute all the necessary spices, then add water [ less than double the amount of rice added 'cos while soaking the grains have already absorbed some water. ] If using 1 cup of rice add just 1 3/4th. cup of water. Needn't saute the rice at all. Add reqd. salt and DON'T STIR NOW & THEN !! THIS INCREASES STICKINESS .

Hotels use lot of oil while cooking the rice to keep the grains separate. We can easily achieve the same texture by adding just a few Tbsp. of lemon juice --- YES -- THAT IS THE SECRET TO EXCELLENT , SEPARATE , LONG GRAINS OF RICE.

Try it & let us know .
    Bye.

3. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

thnx grace for ur tips. foe me too, everytime i prepare biriyani it tuns out to be sticky.
    will try your tip , n let u know the result.
    thnx.

4. Noorie

Noorie New IL'ite

Hello

We Muslim Or can say Bombay Briyani we make it different way..
    1) We make all masala with chicken or Mutton separately.
    2) We boin water with necceassary like ilaichi, laung, kali miri, tej patta,etc with salt. when water starts boiling put rice. water shuld me 1 and half time more. If rice is 1 cup than the water shud b 2 and half cup.
    Than whan the rice is 3/4 done , just remove the water thru channi.
    3) In another pot grease the pot with ghee, than place 1 layer of rice than put masala mixture second layer and third layer goes again the rice.
    4)put little ghee on top or mix with rice after taking out from water.
    5) put some birishta(fried oion) and choped kothmir and pudina.
    6)cover the pot with silver foil.
    7) than dum the pot or keep on slow gas till aroma comes out.

all my friends and relative say that I cook Best Briyani. Hope this will help u.

5. guntupallisri

guntupallisri New IL'ite

Cindhuja

i started making biriyani recently after watching a video in a website called vahrehvah. i have found it very helpful and its very detailed. just go and have a look.

bye

sri

6. padija

padija Senior IL'ite

hi noorie
    thanks for the tips, i love briyani, even my dh says only way to convince of me anything is to buy briyani Big LaughBig Laugh, wow your method makes me :drool:drool, today is sunday iam cooking briyani today.Big Laughbut your sounds soooooo yummy.....

7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi noorie,

thanks for the description. Seems to be interesting. Could you please share with us in detail how u wud prepare the masala for briyani. Coz it differs with everyone. Let me try ur method completely. Awaiting for ur recipe eagerly. thanks a lot.

8. vkdjk

vkdjk New IL'ite

Add right proportion of water to rice...for ex...if you make briyani in pressure cooker then 1:1.5 ratio of basmathi rice:water, 1:1.75 or 2 for seeraga sambha

9. vkdjk

vkdjk New IL'ite

You can also fry bread pieces and add, which will absorb any excess moisture

10. Suhasini02

Suhasini02 New IL'ite

In any mixed rice recipe, when I need rice to be seperate from each other, I pour one table spoon of oil into the cooked rice once removed from the cooker and leave it for 15 mins.
    That way, when the rice is added to the spices, each grain comes out seperately... and using basmati rice definitely helps.