1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Indians in jacksonville FL

Discussion in 'Indians in Jacksonville' started by radha04, Aug 28, 2008.

1. sakshij

sakshij New IL'ite

Hi All

I am Sakshi, I live in jacksonville...looking for some friends....if interested, do reply..
    Thanks

2. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

HI Sakshi

I am Priya, I live in JAX too, in Bartram Park area. I love this neighbourhood and its good to have long walk/run everyday. So.. how long have you been here? where are you located. Welcome to Jax. I have seen a few ladies from India along the Race track road area of SJC. Let me know..if you know any of these area I am referring to ..
    Cheers,
    GPriya.

3. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Vijita,

I am not sure if u have already moved to Jax. Its a nice place, less populated and wide spread..To answer some of your querries:

1. Downtown is ok to work but not to live. Most of our Indian community families live in Southside and St. Johns County neighbourhoods. Southside has lot of apartments and reasonably safe to live. Check it out in the NET about the availability of apartments. There are a lot of townhomes for rent as well. Rent is relatively cheaper in JAX.
    2. Car is a MUST to live in Southside or anywhere in JAX, unless you live in walkable distance to your kid's school. I am not sure about schools in downtown. But there is a school for 3 yr olds, in Greenland Road, where a lot of Indian kids go. Greenland Road is close to the neighbourhoods of mandarin, Bartram Park Blvd and ofcourse not too far from Southside.
    3. Reg changing your Connecticut Licence to FL licence, its a simple procedure without any computer or road test, just pay the fees and get the FL licence across the counter.
    4. Over all, JAX is a very nice, retirement community. Most of the Indian grocery stores are located in Southside neighbourhood.
    Feel free to contact me if need anymore info.

Good Luck and welcome to JAX,
    Cheers,
    GPriya.

4. kavikish

kavikish Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I'm a mom of 2 kids. We plan to move from AZ to FL sometime in Jan. My husband has this job offer from Deutsche Bank. Since he got this offer I've been trying hard to gather information about this place, but in vain. Finally I found this site which sounded really helpful. I hope someone could help clear my doubts here.

1. With all the single-home houses in this area renting out on a one year lease, we have decided to go with an apartment (2 or 3 bedroom) first. So I'm looking out for a kids friendly, secured and spacious apartments near DB location (I think they are located at Gate Pkwy). Suggestions on such apartments would be of great help.

2. I hear that Saint Johns county is the best for top rated schools in Jacksonville. But with the office located at Duval county, I am not sure which one I should be choosing as my place of stay. I think staying at Saint johns would make my husband's commute to office a pain. Please correct me if wrong. How about schools at Duval county. Are there good schools there. If yes, then I would want to look for a school there as it would make the commute to school and office easier. My first kid is in Elementary and my second one would need a good daycare.

So, to summarize, I need help in finding out a nice and spacious apartment (with shorter lease agreements - say 3 or 6 months) near to a good elementary school (daycares too) and also which is close to work.

Thanks,
    Kavikish

5. RadhaMandi

RadhaMandi New IL'ite

Hi Priya,

It is good info...I have recently moved to JAX and looking for school for my 5 year old kid. Do u have any idea about how is Chet's creek elementary school? Please let me know if u know any other good elementary school.

Thanks,
    Radha

6. kavikish

kavikish Senior IL'ite

Gpriya,
    You seem to know a lot about this place. thanks for all the useful info you share here. Well, I should be there in Jax this monthend and too excited about it. I've picked an apartment in Southside (Avenue Royale) and also an elem school for the kiddo (mandarin oaks). Hope I've done my best and do not have to regret abt the picks later. Love to make some new buddies here. Please PM me and we can catchup once I land there.

7. Divsm

Divsm New IL'ite

Hi Sakshi Happy New year to you!
    I am also looking to make friends as I am new to Jacksonville. I moved 6 months ago and have a 4 year old kid .I live in GateParkway in Iron wood area.Where do you live?

8. Divsm

Divsm New IL'ite

Hi
    I moved to Jacksonville 6 months ago and I have a 4 year old son and I am looking to meet like minded people with kids with whom my son can have play dates with.I live on Southside and Gateparkway .
    Let me now if anyone is interested I making friends.
    Cheers
    Divya

9. kavikish

kavikish Senior IL'ite

Actually my husband got a job in Gateparkway but since I did not find any good schools nearby I opted to stay Southside - Avenue Royale apartments. Would love to become friends. So how do you like Jacksonville so far? Is your son enjoying the new place? PM me and we can go from there.

10. Divsm

Divsm New IL'ite

Good to hear from you. I like jackosnville so far ....Specially the weather is really good unlike where i lived before where the temp used to dip to minus 25 degree:)
    So enjoying it specially now in the winter.
    My son loves it here too.
    How about you and your family.>?Are you all settled in. How long have you been here?