Can i carry gold bar and my gold jewelleries to india from dubai?

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by danyashree, May 5, 2013.

1. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

This is horrible. So many people in India have black money and are loaded with jewels but our hard earned money is being questioned just because we live away.

1 person likes this.
  2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

See let me tell you carrying gold bar is equivalent to smuggling...well thats what i heard...but you can carry gold coins.
    And this time when you return to Dubai just declare all the gold you have to the customs.So that atleast next time when you travel to India you will not have any problems at the airport.

And with such high exchange rate its better to send the money to India and then buy gold from there...JMHO :)

3. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hi OP

First pls. confirm which airport you are travelling to.......... all depends on this these days. If you go to any of Kerala airports like Kochi or Kozhikode, you will have to pay duty for the jewellery and coins that you carry beyond Rs.1 lac [this is the limit now for ladies], as heard from Keralites who are so attracted to this yellow metal and carry in loads.

I went to India 2 weeks ago thru Hyderabad airport, no one asked any, though I carried few jewellery as I went for wedding. I wore my bangles, necklace and just walked thru. Last year in November we landed thru Ahmedabad airport........extremely friendly. No hassles, no botheration..... just walk thru only. Again I carried little jewellery as I had to attend lots of functions.

Prior to this, once we went thru Bombay for a wedding and another thru Chennai for a wedding. In Chennai, they put a mark in my suitcase {I kept inside the suit case} and asked me to open and show. I also carried lot of imitation jewellery and bangles etc. I said few gold, but all imitation only, and am going for a wedding and showed the wedding card. Then they allowed. In Bombay, customs stopped and asked if I have any gold inside my luggage, my husband immediately replied........no whatever I am wearing that's it. Then they allowed without asking any more questions. One of my Keralite colleagues said, once when a guy carrying a small 2 or 4 gms gold coin in his wallet and the authorities found that out and asked him to pay duty for excess of limits.

It all depends on which airport and what mood. You may wear your jewellery and may carry the coins wrapped in a black cloth which may be protected thru scanner. I have no idea about CBE airport.

Rgds

4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This is my experience.

If you are wearing jewellery and coming to india no one will ask you how much you are wearing. It is always good that you declare if you are carry coins. for 10 or 20 grams they will not do anything but only thing is you should declare and it also depends on they mood.
    Once i had been to Oman to meet my friends and I had liked a beautiful set there and this was purchased at the last minute of my departure from there and I just kept that in my purse. In case I had worn that nothing would have happened. Since I had kept it in my purse as it was packed and given to me these guys made me pay for it. Actually it was my fault too becoz I did not declare it. it was of 40 grams just becoz I did not declare I had to pay 200$. If I had declare I wouldn't have to pay anything becoz 40 grams is allowed.
    This 200 is not the actually custom duty this is like bribe for those custom guys. If I had gone according to the rule I will have to pay much much more then this.

5. shail123

shail123 Junior IL'ite

You must carry all the original recipts of your gold purchase to avoid further problems at airport

6. jains

jains New IL'ite

These days all airports have strict customs (on 100K INR for ladies, 50K INR for gents). jewellery worn on person is generally not inspected assuming that it would be bought in India. coins/biscuits obviously are commercial holdings, and are not exempt.

By showing receipts of purchase, you support the value (to calculate if you have exceeded 100K threshold) but does not make it exempt. Generally, receipts for purchase made in India will indicate that is not an import but re-import i.e. returning back to india - so customs might take an easy view

however, only definitive way to get duty free exemption isto DECLARE it while going out of india, and a "export certificate" issued by customs. this certificate proves that original purchase of gold was in india, and does not attract duty.

All this is theoretical based on recent rules (and you will find airport websites having these instructions). Has somebody actually got this certificate issued? did it lead to harrassment while exiting itself, and avoid harrassment while entering back?