Recent ridiculous regulation by ADEC for the minimum age of kids for KG1

Discussion in 'IL'ites in Abu Dhabi' started by Smritidixit, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Smritidixit

Smritidixit New IL'ite

Hello i am a parent of a nursery going kid in abu dhabi. Like all other parents was thinking of his future schools (KG1 ) admission when suddenly a few days back it was published in the paperz that the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC) has come up with an adhoc and abrupt regulation stating that the minimum age of the kid should be 3.8 yrs for him/her to be eligible for KG1 admissions.
    As if the existing shortage of pupil to schools ratio wasn't enough that they went on to add another hindrance in the admission process of kids.
    My kid would be 3.4 in april ( the general admission season for kids in abu dhabi in school). I have no clue what i am going to do about this new disgusting problem. I am hell bent that i wont repeat his nursery, i see no point in doing that. Home schooling is a good idea but then the schools should not stress upon a recent nursery certificate when he is eligible enough for admissions. Spoke to the principal of his nursery during the recent open house , they had no answer other than empathising with the parents . The schools like bright riders and bhavans say they will completely adhere with adec rules and regulations , so my question is what happens to those kids who are less then the set criteria.
    If there are disgruntled parents like me in this forum , please come forward and share your ideas, looking forward to hearing from you'll.

2. springandautumn

springandautumn New IL'ite

i agree with you and share your concerns as my kid will be 3yrs 7months on March1st.
    i feel that adec should let the indian schools be the better judge of their admission procedure...

1 person likes this.
  3. jabeena

jabeena New IL'ite

I dont have any idea about ADEC. But hope If parents directly approach Ministry of Education some age concessions may be given. I did the same for my daughter but in sharjah

4. olive09

olive09 Junior IL'ite

Even I feel that there should be some concession on age, it's not fair for kids to lose a year just for 10-20 days difference.
    Jabeena, which school is you daughter in?

5. chithraadit

chithraadit New IL'ite

Hi Smriti,

We are also sailing in the same boat. DS will 2 months shy of 3.8 in April 2014. Moreover, we live in the city and I'm not prepared to send him on a 1 hour ride to Mussafah/Baniyas everyday. It's frustrating really. In case it would help, here's what we're doing to try to get around the new rule. We managed to get him admitted into British Orchard in FS1 this year (very expensive though). Next year in Sep, we're hoping to put him in a British school (e.g. Winchester) in FS2 and move him to an Indian school a year or 2 after that. Just keeping my fingers crossed! Worst case we plan to move to DXB!

Regards,
    Chithra

6. Tina27

Tina27 New IL'ite

Dear,
    The min age is 3.8 max age for a KG1 child is 4.2.
    This is really difficult with shortage of schools.

7. chithraadit

chithraadit New IL'ite

Is the maximum age stipulated by the ministry? In that case they might consider my son for admission next year because he will be 4.6 the year after that!

8. Ruhaanee

Ruhaanee Senior IL'ite

the maximum age is stipulated by ADEC, Abu dhabi indian school has started accepting applications for sibling admissions and it is clearly mentioned that the child should complete 3years 8 months as on 31/01/2014 to be eligible for KG1 admissions.

9. marina20

marina20 Bronze IL'ite

we got the same feedback from Sara Nursery today who told us to repeat the nursery. my son would be 3.6 in March and so will be 4.6 next March which is more than the max age so wont he get admission to Kg2 again next year?

10. rosary

rosary Gold IL'ite

when ever you try to move your kid to an Indian school, this age limit would be applicable.