How to teach slokas to kid.

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by 578reshmi, Oct 22, 2013.

1. 578reshmi

578reshmi New IL'ite

Hello,

I have a 2 year old kid and want to teach him Slokas and Spiritual Stories. Its pretty hard to teach them ones they become older and hence wants to slowly start teaching them small prayers and sloka recital etc right now itself. I dont want to enroll her in any class because she is very small. I am confused as to from wer should i start teaching? and how will i make her understand. Can someone help me out.

2. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Hi, initially you don't have to explain everything, since he is too young to understand.Just select one sloka for a month and play the CD, when both of you are at home. After a while the kid will start chanting once the CD is on.This is how we taught our g.son, who is now 7 years old. He can recite more than 20 slokas without a break.

1 person likes this.
  3. 578reshmi

578reshmi New IL'ite

O wow. That is great. There are so many CDs in the market though. Can u tell me which one u used. or something that is pretty simple. Are there some kind of kids pooja kit or smething available in the market. itl be nice for her to hear it and do this- she will be more excited too to take part in all tht. iv never heard such things for kids n all though.

4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hi OP,

my daughter is 2.5. I am not particularly religious, however my daughter is! Since both sets of grandparents were here, after a shower everyday they would pray. My dd would join them and she'd get dry fruits as prasad. Once they left I took over since she was very interested - perhaps in the raisins!

then I started chanting slokas. She seemed to like the rhythm. Just short 2 line ones. Before she leaves for preschool, we chant saraswati namasthubhyam, before bedtime aapadam apabarthram, for offerings kaayaenavaacha, otherwise after shower one each for vinayaka, shiva, Amman and Lakshmi. I'd just chant without trying to teach her.

She has picked it up very fast. I try to also explain the meaning of certain words. She loves chanting now and explaining to her father the few words whose meanings she has learnt.

Plus during vinayaka chathurthi, our friends sang bhajans for 5 days which I took her to. She loved the atmosphere and still asks me to find those bhajans on YouTube. For navaratri, I included some other bhajans in our prayers. It was as if we adults were focusing on chanting and the little one picked up by observation.

Kandasashti kavacham has some lovely videos of abhishegam of difference karthikeyas. The video fascinates her. Also Vishnu sahastranamam has excellent tirupati videos. She asks for these religious videos and pop songs in equal measure.

So just to ahead and sing aloud and play the rest on your iPod or laptop. You child should just absorb it.

Love,
    G

5. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

like guesshoo has mentioned, start with small slokas collection, like Himalayan Chants, Sacred Chants , etc. and any music shop has good collection of these in religious music section. Good luck! In Chennai we normally go the AVM music world in Alwarpet.

6. garry420

garry420 New IL'ite

wow great thought
    I will suggest you to show him cartoon characters of the ancestral characters like shiva jee, bhagwan rama and tell him that shivajee become shivajee because of the shaloka's and stories that encouraged him....try to gift her things everytime he learns shaloka's

7. Amirtha2013

Amirtha2013 New IL'ite

8. tsiva

tsiva New IL'ite

Hello 578reshmi,

I wonder why no one has answered your this question. I am an experienced mother in this aspect as both my children learnt so many stories and shlokas just by listening to what I say and teaching a child is very easy because most children repeat and copy what elders do. So If you keep your child near you while reciting the slokas yours and telling the spiritual stories the child automatically learns it.
    In fact when my son was in the 3rd standard I removed the cable connection and bought the Doordarshan's set top box. In that in star Utsav channel they used to regularly show the old version or ramayan and Mahabharat and Om Namah Shivay in turns i.e when one ends the other one begins. So when I used to be in office who would be watching these serials and he was so fascinated that he started writing the entire ramayan story in a note book in his own language. Now he's a grown up boy but even today we all refer to him regarding any incidents in the story of these epics and he has it on his finger tips. So just as childhood habits never day so does things learnt in childhood are never forgotten especially if the child learns of his own and with interest. So even now you can try.

t_siva