1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to avoid an argument that is very likely to occur?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by victory1, Oct 25, 2013.

1. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

She cries if her opinion is not considered? Or she cries because you get heated up as the argument proceeds?
    Case 1: leave the discussion for some time, let things cool down and then discuss again until you find common grounds. Also consider opinions on both your views from the house architect, engineer etc. which would help you choose a common ground.
    Case 2: If the crying session is because you get heated up, leave the discussion as soon as you feel you are heating up and come back to the issue once again after you have cooled down.
    Even we had major arguments when DH and me constructed our home. But, we did arrive at common grounds (in some cases one of us compromised, like for things related to kitchen he gave up and for stuff related to material to be used etc I gave up) in consultation with our architect's and engineer's opinions. Now, when we look back, we feel that each of us has done the right thing to make the project a success, and it would have been silly and foolish if we had not considered and discussed/ compromised for one another.
    Good luck!

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

My vote goes to this comment.Very practical.

All the threads?? Really?? :spin:
    You have some good amount of patience lady.
    Here i start yawning at all the suggestions which are longer than 10lines....thats why i regularly read your 1liners.:biggrin2:

3 people like this.
  3. nirmalaa

nirmalaa New IL'ite

better to maintain silence

4. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Superlike....

i dont know if its my laziness that extends to my reading posts here Or is it because i read on small mobile screens.....but whatever the reason might be,i just skip reading long essays.
    There are very few users whose essays i read.....hmmm...like Ansuya....then rihana(though she rarely posts more than 10lines)...Naksh(his hilarious posts can never get boring).....Quebec(for his saintly posts)....Anitap(shes the female equivalent of Naksh).
    But yes there some posts which can keep you gripped....so i do read those rare gems too.

Ohhh lazzyyyy me.:roll:

3 people like this.
  5. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Try to decide on things you both like or at least can learn to like. Try to find common ground. If you dont like something she likes very much, tell her "lets keep looking more and find something we both like" . May take more time, but finally it will be soemthing both like. It is after all your house. You both need to love it. This takes patience but you may start enjoying the process later on.

6. victory1

victory1 Senior IL'ite

I think I am leaning more towards "helplessness" as the reason for crying and I don't know why she feels so. Let me give an example - there was some cleaning going on at the house and her mom told her that certain things would be disposed of. We were not at home and my wife said not to do so. Her mom had her own reasons for doing so and here she starts crying and says somethings to her mom which I felt was not right. I feel the only way to avoid such situations is to back off. That is the whole reason why I started this thread. I also wonder if this continues at some point I may start seeing it as means to get her way which would complicate it further. Earlier we both used to argue a lot and during the argument she would start crying. Nowadays when any sensitive topic comes up and if I sense that time is not right for the discussion(before sleeping, days before we have a visitor, festival) I openly tell her that we should postpone it to a later time just so that there is no crying session. Sometimes it ends up on the backburner and we would not have found a solution. Another example is we were travelling and could not figure out the directions. She told me to ask somebody for the directions. I was looking at the map and instead told her to ask somebody. She insisted and I refused. She starts crying. During our present discussions I did not raise my voice, tried to explain calmly. On the other hand she raised her voice started crying and told me not to give lectures. I kept quiet and later she asked me why I am not talking. I straight away told her that I won't talk till the next morning so that we get some time for ourselves. I just don't know how to handle such situations.

7. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Correction: you are not WEEPING you are RANTING at me:evil:
    And yes i have read all your posts in this thread and thats the reason i gave a like to one of them.But the members whose names i had specified,i never miss their posts is what i meant.

Now read the title of this thread again
    "How to avoid an argument that is very likely to occur?".......well i think i need some suggestions here,because i know you will come and pick on my post again.:biggrin2:
    (now lets stop digressing this thread....OP needs some serious suggestions.
    sorry OP)

:wave:

2 people like this.
  8. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Am not qualified to comment on this but still wishing a better scenario in your case if possible:

Construction of peace at home is the need of the hour than constructing a place to live in peace, if that is possible. Communicate keeping aside emotions.

2 people like this.
  9. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

Helplessness? May be she is a timid person, unable to take a stand and more importantly 'stick by it'? Has she been raised by dominating parents? That may explain her reaction.

In that case, may be you give a patient listening to her. Make her feel that her opinions count. Appreciate where her points have been good and have been accepted adn implemented.

where they are rejected, explain to her the reason so she does not feel 'she is always shot down'

10. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dear Victory,
    You have good writing skills, few are good at such descriptive narratives.
    Please do not turn your relationship with your DW into filling up questionaires ,no need to sit and write a question paper.
    She does not need lectures ,just reassurances and TLC.
    Generally DH's ignore crying bouts.
    Why would a DW cry if DH has trouble locating an address,sounds fishy.
    Get her eyes checked, maybe its an infection.