1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

3 yr old daughter pooping once in 3 days. Please advice.

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ransen, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ransen

ransen Silver IL'ite

My 3 year old daughter poops only once in 3 or 4 days. She eats really well. I even give her banana smashed with cornflakes and milk every day. She eats 4 times a day and good quantity of food with vegetables and brown rice. I tried to potty train her in her toy potty. From that day she hates to poop at all. Now i relaxed her and told her she can poop in her diaper or panty what ever she is wearing. But still she tries to hold the poop and hesitates totally. This is happening for the past one month. She drinks enough water also and has good physical activity too. When i asked the doctor, She said feed her in a way that she cant control to hold the poop. I am feeding as much as i can. But my DD is stubborn and hates pooping. I even rewarded her and keep encouraging her but she is just not falling into routine. Everyday i have to eagerly wait if she will poop or not. Otherwise she is happy to say when she wants to pee and she straight away go to the potty for peeing.
    Anybody experience this peculiar behaviour. I really hope this is a phase and it will over soon.
    Please advice.

2. hamsa83priya

hamsa83priya Senior IL'ite

Nothing to worry.
    Give her an apple and Guava daily.
    And stop milk and milk products for a week.

She might not be able to control. :banana

2 people like this.
  3. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Try to give her only home made food..No snacks...Give her fiber rich food...Include dry grapes in her diet..

Above all, tell her this is not at all a problem..slowly she would pick up the habit of using her potty..And this is very hygenic too..talk with her about these things when she is in good mood..First few days would be hectic, but later she gets used to it...

2 people like this.
  4. ransen

ransen Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the advices!
    She takes only home made food. No junk snack at all. She hates apple and guava. I cant force feed her. I even gave dry grapes juice for her daily. I am talking with her and even congratulating her once she poops. Sometimes she is so stubborn. I just want her to make it a practice of once a day. She hardly take any milk at all only with cornflakes.

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Try prune juice/ prunes/ nutmeg/ raisins. My dd also refuses to poop when she isn't wearing a nappy, while weeing in the potty is no problem. It is a matter of time I guess.

You can try rewarding her for pooping in the potty. Like have a sticker chart or buy her new toys which she can open as soon as she poops in the potty. I've heard it works for other kids. My dd is still resisting. Perhaps it will work for your dd

2 people like this.
  6. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Ransen
    try this,before making her sit on the potty seat just rub her stomach gently in circular motions.And give her some water to drink before it.

1 person likes this.
  7. ransen

ransen Silver IL'ite

Thanks for all the advices!
    I tried what ever you have mentioned.
    My primary problem is my dd has to poop first. Pooping in the potty is the secondary problem. I mixed prunes in the chutney since she refused to eat the prunes as such. I tried massaging her stomach. It didnt work.
    Her daily diet

9.30 - toast/idli/dosa/uppuma/poha - (given in school -she eats well)
    12.30 - one cup of sambar rice, one cup of curd rice and any vegetable kootu
    4 - one cup of cornflakes with one mashed banana with milk / one cup of popcorn
    7.30 - 3 brown rice dosas with chutney / 2 chapatis with subji

10.30 - one small bowl of cornflakes with banana with milk (If she is awake till 10.30 and asks for cornflakes)

Finally we went to doctor today.The doctor advised to introduce oranges and pomegranates in daily diet. I was worried if it might cause cold or fever in this climate. But he said it was ok even if she gets cold and i could just add cold syrups.
    He has also prescribed "Cremafin" syrup which is a laxative.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Nowadays i am finding myself in a very irritated mood because of this constant problem. I am so worried what if toxins are produced in her stomach with all the poop.

My DH keep saying this is not a big issue at all and he had the same psychological hesitation and hatred to poop when he was young (till -10yrs). Hmmm...looks like this typical gene has been transferred from my DH to my DD.

8. ds0612

ds0612 Bronze IL'ite

Try giving her oatmeal every alternate day. And give her vamu rice. If she loves oranges..then try that too. Don't let her control the situation...you hold the control stick :) good luck...keep fighting

2 people like this.
  9. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

I do it for my baby once in a while that sure do helps..

2 people like this.
  10. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

pear sure do works... pear fruit.. prunes actually gives little bloating thatswat I experienced but pears sure do works if its available there..

1 person likes this.