1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Left!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Oct 23, 2013.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I wondered often about why I always end up wanting to do more of something that I like. Be it an extra hour of sleep or reading a good book or watching an Alistair Maclean story based movie or eating a sumptuous food etc. are a few things that I like to spend more time upon. Its not that I do not get any of these. In fact, I am lucky enough to get them aplenty, yet there is some point beyond which I cannot just continue indulging myself. I stop then, look for other things and rue later. And I understand that most of us feel the same, for different things of course.

Why can't we do something that we love so much, for some more time? As long as we do not disturb others and ignore something else that must have been done in time, we can do freely what we want. Right? And I am lucky to get plenty of free time and not even junk emails or junk advertisement papers I get, yet I end up wondering what prevents me from doing it. Why do we feel that we are overdoing something when we actually are trying to indulge ourselves more? Where comes the guilt or that restlessness which makes us to go, do something else? There was a time when we were younger, where we didn't worry about doing something for hours and ended wanting more. At times, we were granted and at times not, but we never got tired of it.

So, why have we changed and when did this happen? I assure you, I am still a very much 'me first' person, so the angle of prioritizing others' need doesn't sound a plausible answer to me, at least in my case. And the best part of this all, is that we long to do the same again and again a1nd often crib or complain that we like to do it but lacking time. I remember one of my childish acts [will I ever mature?] where I went to my manager and told him that I wished to leave before 06.00 p.m. at least once a month, while we were already behind schedule. He was sympathetic and smiled at this and often used to ask me to leave early in the latter days, when I knew that I couldn't. And he was not saying this just to satisfy me. I now realize how genial he had been [he still is and when I call him, we just continue from where we left, though its years since I left that company].

I think that we do develop a mind set where we do not like to indulge too much in something and tend to lose our interest if we extend our time with it. But once we come out, we long for doing it again, knowing fully well that the time to do it again would not be there in near future. We wish our dear ones to have a prolonged time, enjoying their best things, but there too, we tend to put a stop. The more we stop doing something that we like, the more we like them and never get out of it. So there is no way we quench these desires too. Perhaps, is that the reason that we are still left here? If one is able to come out of all these, is that the end of his / her time here? I don't know for sure.

And, as the list of our 'like to do' adds up, so is our frustration and longing. Is it not?

6 people like this.

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

It was so good to read rgs, can feel it. But cant add anything in fb.

Thanks for such a good post.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,

Well it could be the fear of getting addicted to that habit, of sleeping an hour more, or reading, and u feel guilty that u could in fact have spent that time earning more money, or doing something more lucrative with the time.

or it is the guilt, that u are enjoying ur time lazing and goffing, and maybe u think of anotehr friend who is undergoing a hard time, and u feel guilty.

Relax, it is yr life, do as it pleases u, but dont tell others, for the fear they may envy u and put a bad eye on u.HAHA

just relax tension free, just dont get addicted to that habit, but feel u have earned it, or that the lord has been benovalent to u, so take it with open arms, and have a ball, what say RGS ?

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  4. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Pallavi, for dropping by and giving a feedback. Happy to receive yours as first.
    Thanks for the appreciation too. -rgs

5. rgsrinivasan

You are right Kamalji, about living the life they way we want and of course not announcing it big to get others' envy. It just happens to be the case, that I am lucky to get involved in doing things that I generally like. Thanks for your feedback. -rgs

6. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Left and you ask is it Right? :)

As in Chennai when you ask for direction, none refuses but with love show the left hand side & say go right :):):) or vice versa...

We might get confused but there is never a U turn in life - let's travel happily & let the hunger be there to do more RGS - good one.

Dhil maangae more, thayir (curd), coffee, tea :):):)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    2 people like this.
  7. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

In IL after sometime and it is good to read your post.

I guess, this springs from one's desire for a continuity of the pleasant experience and sometimes unpleasant experience also. This desire for continuity comes when we become we more and more conscious of an experience and feel it was not complete in itself. This indulgence to get a complete experience then takes the form of habit. :)

Life is full of contradictions, so stop indulging and start enjoying (being in the moment) :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,

Even among the saints, they could not agree whether over indulgence saturate the desire for something or forms a habit to indulge in everything we desire for. While Osho suggested a path of indulgence and learn out of that experience, saints of previous generation always felt moderation and learning to control or put a ceiling on our desires is a preferred method towards right living. I am a believer that indulgence only increases our desire to indulge more and repeat that with everyone of our desires. But there is no means to eliminate all desires in life considering right living is also a desire.

My middle path is to wait for an opportunity to do what we aspire to do and enjoy that moment. But when we finish that time, don't regret or long for another opportunity until it comes our way.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,
    A bit complicated one. For your snippets it generally strikes at the first reading what the feedback should (sometimes I may change while typing, that is a different thing) but broadly I know what my idea is. But this one I had to ponder over a lot.

It is a mixed bag. Some things we can continue to do them as long as we like but for many things we have to draw a line...beautiful in moderation but repulsive if done in excessive.. If done in moderation we want to do them again with extra zeal but excess.....we don't want to do them again for sometime, atleast. If we like a writer and start reading his books again and again we cannot enjoy them as we enjoyed his/her first book.making the same dish again again...we develop repulsion. Even among family and friends...spending too much time with each other is not very positive always. So,some space is needed for everything however best we like doing them.

So, moderation is the keyword.

Syamala

1 person likes this.
  10. rgsrinivasan

Thanks GG for your feedback and appreciation. You are right in one aspect. As long as the hunger remains, the interest too stays. And I rather believe having U turns often - it helps me to cut down the ego a bit. -rgs