The "Great Indian" Puzzle Thread!

Discussion in 'Online Games & Puzzles' started by priyum, Nov 22, 2006.

1. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Solution

Bags:
    1 2 3 4
    <table class="MsoTableGrid" style="border: medium none ; border-collapse: collapse;" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="height: 61.6pt;"><td style="border: 1pt solid windowtext; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 0.95in; height: 61.6pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="91">RED
    RED
    RED

</td><td style="border-style: none solid none none; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216) rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: medium 1pt medium medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 0.5in; height: 61.6pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="48">

</td><td style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 63pt; height: 61.6pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="84">RED
    RED
    WHITE

</td><td style="border-style: none solid none none; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216) rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: medium 1pt medium medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 0.5in; height: 61.6pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="48">

</td><td style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 63pt; height: 61.6pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="84">RED
    WHITE
    WHITE

</td><td style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 1in; height: 61.6pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="96">WHITE
    WHITE
    WHITE

</td></tr></tbody></table>
    Possible Label on each bag:
    1.rrw / rww / www
    2.rrr / rww / www
    3.rrr / rrw / www
    4.rrr / rrw / rww

Inference from statements in puzzle :
    A took either Bag1 or Bag 2
    B took either Bag 2 or Bag 3
    C took either Bag 3 or Bag 4
    D took either Bag 4 or Bag 1
    (A for Alan, B for....)

If A takes Bag 1 : and Label be what ever, he can obviously say that the bag has another Red ball.

If A takes Bag 2 : he would take 2 red balls and find that the other ball is white from label.

Same logic is for B.

The problem is with C. After C takes 2 white balls he gets confused between bags 3 and 4 and says that he has a RED ball in his bag but he is wrong as he has a white ball.

Seeing A, B and C, D can tell that he got Bag 3 without even looking and he said he has 2 white and 1 red.

Solution 1 ; Ball ; Label
    A got Bag 1 ; RRR ; RRW
    B got Bag 2 ; RRW ; RWW
    C got Bag 4 ; WWW ; RRR
    D got Bag 3 ; RWW ; WWW

Solution 2 ; Ball ; Label
    A got Bag 1 ; RRR ; RRW
    B got Bag 2 ; RRW ; RWW
    C got Bag 4 ; RWW ; WWW
    D got Bag 3 ; WWW ; RRR

2. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

thank you preethi

hi preethi,

thank you so much for explanation.I got the pt now.Actually I was thinking that maths puzzles always work on logic and there must b some other which I m unable to get.

thanks for making me ubderstand.

dear nalini yes I understood by preethi's answer.:wave

3. priyum

priyum New IL'ite

Krishnamma

Dear Krishnamma,

U have posted two solutions...

Kindly tell me which I should consider ? Scores ka sawaal hai bhai:mrgreen:

Priyum

4. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Solution

hi,

Both of my answers are right. Any way you can take the first one. (Solution 1)
    ok?

Bye,
    Krishna amma

5. ish_nalini

ish_nalini Senior IL'ite

<TD vAlign=top>[​IMG]<TD vAlign=top width=10>[​IMG]<TD vAlign=top>Among 6 coins one is heavier than all the others. You can weigh only 2 times to find out which one is heavier.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  6. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Ans to the coin weighing puzzle

I would take a beam-balance(tarazoo) and

Step 1: Place two coins on each side, thereby placing four coins on the beam-balance and leaving out two on the side.

Now, there could be two scenarios:
    (i) one side of the beam-balance is heavier as the one heavy coin could be on either side of the balance.
    (ii) both sides of the balance could be of equal weight as the heavy coin is one of the two left out on the side.

Scenario 1 solution:
    Step 2: I shall discard the two coins from the side which is lighter and place one coin from the heavy side on each side of balance and I would know which coin is heavier and thus the one heavy coin can be found out.

Scenario 2 solution:
    Step 2:
    If the beam balance weighs equally on both sides, it means none of the coins weighs heavier than any of the others in the balance, hence one of the two left out on the side is heavier. Hence, I shall discard all four coins and place the two coins left out and determine which one is heavy.

7. ish_nalini

ish_nalini Senior IL'ite

Dear shal ,

Your answer is correct :clap

Here is my solution for puzzle 2:
    Which coin is heavier?
    If we give a number for each coin, say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. We can put the coin 1 and 2 on the left side, coin 3 and 4 on the right side of the balance.
    If the left side is heavier, then we can put coin 1 on the left side and coin 2 on the right side. Whichever side is heavier, the coin on that side is heavier.
    If the right side is heavier, then we can put coin 3 on the left side and coin 4 on the right side. Whichever side is heavier, the coin on that side is heavier.
    If they are balanced, then then we can put coin 5 on the left side and coin 6 on the right side. Whichever side is heavier, the coin on that side is heavier.

8. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

check this also..............is this right

place three three coins on each side , one side will b heavier
    now remove one one coinn frm each side and check still one side is heavier or not

1)if both sides r equal heavy coin will b among the coins which u have removed
    so remove all the coins and place one coin on each side(which u removed )and u can come to know abt heavy coin.

2)if after removing two coins one side is still heavier that means the coins which u removed r equal then agn remove one frm each side and go on like step one .
    then u can find heavy coin by weighing twice.

hope I m right.

9. ish_nalini

ish_nalini Senior IL'ite

Yes Sonia you are right!!!!

Congrats!!!!
    The Result will be finally announced,go a head with next one!!!!!!!

10. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Is your puzzle right, Nalini ?

Nalini,

Is this the question or the answer itself ? I think without asking the question, you have given the answer !!

Pls clarify ?

Love,
    Preethi