1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

need some advice

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sharon8, Oct 1, 2013.

1. sharon8

sharon8 Senior IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    I have learnt so much from this forum that I want to thank all you lovely ladies ot there first.just
    Now coming to the issue, I am planning a 2 week trip to india next month. I am landing in Chennai ( my home town) and flying back from there. my inlaws live in Bangalore. Do you ladies think it is mandatory for me to make a visit to their place? I have had many problems with my in-laws before we got married last year, and now I just very cordial with them. An occasional 'hello' or 'how are you' over the phone is how much I talk to them. I would like to point out here that neither my husband or my in-laws have actually invited me to spend time in Bangalore for a few days.
    Also, we are trying for a baby and I am planning to seeing a gynecologist is Chennai to get some tests done, which happens to be a priority for us at present.To be honest I am not comfortable with my in-laws and would not like to stay in their house without my husband.
    I am confused ladies. Please give me some advice on this.

2. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

act according to the situation.

give them a call once ur in chennai. if they invite you, u can just visit them for a couple of hours.

3. revathib

revathib Bronze IL'ite

Definitely a call but for staying I would say no...for visiting some hours is ok...make them clear that all depends on treatment timings...just my thoughts...

revathi

4. prathibhahp

prathibhahp Silver IL'ite

Go visit them for a couple of days. If you explain your situation about doctor visits, they will understand. Even if they don't understand, you need not worry. It's not upto you to make them understand. Just be cordial and enjoy the short visit to BLR.

5. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

I know visiting inlaws without husband would definitely create troubles for you but not visiting at all would do more harm?this will backfire after going back to to your husband..if you want conflict free relation with husband,please do join them for a day or two but have minimal talk as you always do and pack your bags once you are done..

1 person likes this.
  6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

OP, as far as I've seen, ILs don't invite. They best of them look forward to your visit. The worst of them don't extend invitations to heir servants but they are expected to come and do their duties! I'm not sure where on this spectrum your ILs fall. however it is very important that you visit them. By not doing so, you will either hurt them or open such a large can of works.

Since you are cordial, I suggest you fly down to Bangalore one day and return the next. Insist that you really want to meet them; take some gifts. Be really nice to them. But keep going on about how you wish the stay were longer and how you have no time because of your appointments. Take them shopping,for a movie and to eat out so that the focus is not just you. Invite them to visit your mums place so that you can all have a nice time.

By doing this you've done the right thing and extended the olive branch keeping the balance. And you have limited your exposure.

Go and enjoyourself

7. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

You probably don't want to deal with in-laws while you are dealing with some sensitive doctor visits. Your DH also has lot at stake if you don't make use of this trip. So ask him to convey them that you are busy and can't visit them. Your DH can send some nice and useful stuff for them through you and you can post the stuff from Chennai.

You are not their child. I do not expect them to have love for you. They might feel bad but wont be hurt. It is not like your DH not visiting them.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  8. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

Not mandatory but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! :) .... May be a briefest possible one?!

1 person likes this.
  9. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

Assuming that they know you are having treatments done, call them twice / thrice during the trip just to know how they are and formal talks.

Tell them you have gifts for them from their son and would come and meet if time permits, or will courier them.

Since no one is asking you to go, I dont think its mandatory to go.

But you know your husband best. Would he be assuming that you will go for sure and hence, no talk on that subject? You know best.

10. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

Friend,

the nature of dog is barking, you are human say hello OK.

just visit for a day and back,

They are elder being flexiable with elder nothing lost for you and your respect :)

if you meet them she may bark otherwise they will wish you badly ( don't get sabam from elder people )
    good luck for you and have a happy vaccation.