1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

teaching to read

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by manjur, May 1, 2008.

1. manjur

manjur Senior IL'ite

hi friends,

how your kids started to learn to read .what is the right age?

i have a 4 1/2 yr old . we are currently in US.

please give suggestions

manju

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Manjur,

Reading to kids is a wonderful experience for parents.

Kids get the interest or inclination to read..when we cultivate the habit of reading to them everyday...from a very young age ...like 1 or 2 years.

They may actually start to read when they are almost 3 years or so.

You can go to your local library and ask the children's librarian for begining reader books. They will have a wide range..from begining,intermediate and individual reader books...

In fact there are even books that are meant to" read aloud" to kids, even if they haven't started reading on their own. This activity will pique their interest...!! These books can also be read for babies...:)..so cute..you should definitely have a look at these..sure you will love them..!

Then, there will be books specifically for small kids...with the levels mentioned right on the cover. These are really colorful, full of pictures and makes it very interesting for the children.

But even if the kids start reading on their own, it is good for them, if the parents read books for them atleast 20 - 30 mts each day.

Let me know if you were able to find begining level books for your child.

Also , here in US, they give a lot of importance to reading and the children are expected to start reading and writing good sentences when they in the end of Kindegarten. (which starts at the age of 5 yrs)

Good luck !

Cheers
    Krithika

3. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Dear manju,

My kid's age is same like urs.He's october born and 4 and 1/2 now.

Now he reads very well.He started reading books when he was 3.It all depends on kids ability and also we need to teach them.

Try starfall.com for good pronounciation - the basic one.My son, he worked a lot on that site and started reading y himself, like joining 2-3 letters and spells tat.

You try that site.Sure that'll make a difference in his reading.Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Pinky.

4. guntupallisri

guntupallisri New IL'ite

Manju

Hello. my daughter is 4 yrs old and she started reading three letter words and some simple four letter words. there is leap frogs letter factory and word factory dvds. letter factory is about phonics and word factory teaches how to read using phonics. after watching them she started to read some words. then there are leap frog beginning words book and even kumon's rhyming words which helps further more. after wards i think u can start with beginning readers books in library.
    also as mentioned before try to read age appropriate books from library at least for 30 min. i think that surely creates interest for them to read.

i hope these tips are useful to you

5. manjur

manjur Senior IL'ite

hi everyone,

thanks for your suggestions.
    i will try these.

she is interested only in the pictures of story book so i was wondering whether it is the right age to start reading .now i will start

manju

6. Devikasiviswana

Devikasiviswana Junior IL'ite

Good thread

I came to know about names of those dvds through this thread even i was searching for similar thing for my daughter .Thanks!

7. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    thanks for the suggestions, my kid is also 3 yrs old and he can tell all alphabets/write them but some he makes mistakes. for reading we do read story books and he loves to listen, some of his fav books which we read often he can tell the story by himself.

but coming to reading on his own, we haven't started that. from starfall he learns the phonics. if i say a 3 letter word, he knows little little which alphabet it starts with.

now my doubt is how do we teach them to read? do we have to start with easy 3 letter words, then carry on to 4 letter words? or teach them the sentences as they read in board books? if i do that he gets bored with reading books?

do i also have to make him write now? he likes it when i read books for him, but writing he would run away. any suggestions?

8. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

My DD (4 &1/2) writes alphabets and numbers. We just started it as fun with magnetic letters or sticks and she picked it up. she writes the B'day cards, invitations etc.,

Coming to reading she is not showing much interest, in the sense she wants to be read. She know almost all the generic words to, of, on, by,.............but she insists to be read. I think it is fine. I read for her everyday 1/2 hour, I'll continue this until she starts reading by herself.

Rithi

9. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Chaaral,
    how did you teach your son to write the alphabets?

My son can read familiar words by himself.But not full fledged into reading and writing.Though i read to him,i am not sure how can figure out to read the same by himself.Starfall is good but not helping much at this stage.

10. Lalitha venkate

Lalitha venkate Senior IL'ite

interestin thread
    thanx all of u