Why new born is advised to wear clothes borrowed from others?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by uma321, Sep 8, 2013.

1. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

We have a custom that the new born has to wear his/her first cloth a used one. I'm ok to follow the custom and was planning to borrow it from my SIL.

My husband is not ready and he says the baby shouldn't wear a used cloth.

Can you tell me why it's advised that the new born should wear his/her first cloth a used one?

2. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

so nice of you ..your okay to take used clothes from sil..!i was against it but most of my friends and relations say it is a good practice but not evryones clothes..many of my relations used to take used clothes from my cousins whose kids are healthy,sharp and well disciplined..its belived that used clothes of those kids carry same luck to the newborns..im not sure how far it is right this way,but people do believe it so

1 person likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think these customs are remnants of a time when infant mortality was very high. In terms of survivability, the birth and month after birth were the most difficult times in the life of a baby. Due to superstition, it was considered bad luck to buy new clothes and baby items. It was as if buying new things will invite ill-will from other people and affect the baby's chances of survival. That is also the reason why babies are not given names at birth. People waited for a few months until the child's odds of survival became better to start the celebrations, like naming the child and buying new things.

5 people like this.
  4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Generally for new borns used cloth is advised because the material tends to be softer compared to a new one. Also new cloths are treated with chemicals/bleach/dyeing agents which may be harsh on baby's skin. With used cloths these kind of problems do not exist.

Most of the hospitals here reuse the caps, towels etc.

If you are planning to put on new cloths for the baby, then it is better to wash them twice before using them.

3 people like this.
  5. Hachiko

Hachiko Gold IL'ite

Never heard before about this re-used clothes custom.Normally,we will buy new clothes in advance and then wash it.So the clothes will be much more softer.

6. Irfana3300

Irfana3300 Silver IL'ite

Me too, hearing 1st time abt this custom. We will also bring new clothes for new born baby,...........

7. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

Behind this lot of statement

1. Compatability between the sik and cloth. We can get more confident if it is old cloth.

2. Eventhough they will be ignored by us, if you ask they will consider them as one hand up :) also they can get a chance to come and see the baby.

3. When SIL got marry father and mother will think our Lakshmi gone out, buy getting this cloth we are again getting the Lakshmi back to our home.

Whatbout it may be we should understand, at least one happy occation we have to meet up and heal the cracks. good for relationship and friendship.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

The main reason is, if the cloths are old, they are thoroughly washed many times and would be soft on baby's skin.

If your husband is not comfortable getting used cloths, you can buy the new one's, wash plenty of times and use it. This is what I did.

4 people like this.
  9. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

No idea on the reason.. Probably some age old tradition that we follow without a reason. I was told the same instead I decided to use New clothes.. I washed them thoroughly before using it though

1 person likes this.
  10. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Just as an aside, it's probably a good idea to wash ALL new clothes at least once (grownup clothes and baby clothes alike) before wearing. If you think about where new clothes come from, it makes sense that the cloth, from initial weaving to end product, would have passed through many hands and chemical processes. If you take a good sniff of the stale, chemically-tinged air in any big store (Kohls, Dillards, etc.) you'll get a good sense of exactly how unclean new clothes really are.

I also have a big problem with the "sweat shop" mode of production (poorly paid employees in unregulated working environments), but it is hard to establish under what conditions clothes were manufactured, so the least we should do to safeguard our skin and health is give new clothes a good wash before wearing. I always do.

Most baby clothes that I have seen here in the US are deliberately and, for obvious reasons, made out of soft material. I also cut out the tags to make sure there is no potential for irritation. I avoid synthetic fabrics (nylon, georgette, polyester) although some polyester/cotton blends are soft and non-irritating. Just yesterday, I cut off a hideous, poky bow that had been affixed to the outside of an otherwise nice cardigan I bought for my 4-year-old.

I think if you take reasonable precautions, even new clothes should be fine for newborns. I'm not sure what the clothes in India are like so maybe the old clothes theory has more application there.

1 person likes this.