Sravana Mangala gouri vratham

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by sagi16, Aug 21, 2013.

1. sagi16

sagi16 New IL'ite

Hello,

I am new to Indus ladies and would like to put across some concerns.

I currently stay in london and am married for 4 years now. My mother's side follow the ritual of Mangala Gouri vratam from first year of marriage to five years or till one completes five years of vratam. (My in-laws dont have this ritual though).

The first year i was in India and hence started it in my mother's place. Last year I could not find any married ladies I can give tamboolam / vayanam to, and hence offered the same to just 3 ladies (temple pujari's wife and sister).

This time I have started the puja again last week and could find 5 sumangalies willing to take the vayanam / tamboolam. My only concern is - to find married 'brahmin' ladies. My mother insists on Brahmin sumangalies for this particular vratam, but I personally feel any married lady is the form of Gouri.
    I might sound like a rebel, but thats how I feel about it.

Now, honestly, can someone please tell me if there is actually a clause about giving the tamboolam only to brahmin ladies? Or it might be a ritual followed in certain communities?

Please convey some expertise on this .

I am a very religious person and love to know the details and reasons behind every ritual or festival we celebrate, as it gives me a sense of fullfillment .

Thanks very much !

-Soujanya

p.s: I do not intend to hurt or discard any rituals. It is just a curious concern from my side. please don't misinterpret !

2. sahitisharma86

sahitisharma86 New IL'ite

Hello Soujanya,

I've been living in the US ever since I got married and this is my second year. So, I've been doing Mangala Gowri pooja in the place I live. My mom and my mother in law and my grand mother everyone told me that I should give the first thamboolam to a brahmin lady whose married before I can break my fast. But, its very hard for me to find a married Brahmin lady so I just give it to my friend who is elder to me and is married. I don't know whether she is a Brahmin or not and I don't care either. Personally, I don't care which caste or religion one is from but, I would love to know why this clause of :giving thamboolam to a married Brahmin lady" is there in the pooja

3. nshobitha

nshobitha Bronze IL'ite

@ sagi16, sahitisharma86

this issue is kinda universal problem for who follow this pooja...i did this pooja for 3 yrs with out any issue in india n then i had to move to us. Mom said i can discontinue and then when i get bac to india i can continue it. This is all bcoz of difficulty to find the married women.

I was told that if not able to find the brahmin lady its fine to give it to married lady. i did ask purohit who helped me with the pooja 1st time n hes is some1 my family believes a lot for yrs n generations, he said its fine to give tamboolam in dat way only point to be noted is they shuld hav faith in god (any god)

i had been writing to several mutts on the exact procedure for this pooja..but nobody answered me till date...
    sometimes it makes me laugh when i think abt hw pple blindly follow n big matadi pathi not replying...
    i believe that have faith in wat ever u follow n also in god ..god only needs faith n dedication in ur pooja

PS: this is not to hurt anybody's feelings

1 person likes this.
  4. sahitisharma86

sahitisharma86 New IL'ite

@nshobitha

Well said! Obviously there are a few hundred ways easily to perform every pooja and do each ritual. So, we really can't say that this is the right way or not. And also, due to living avay from India, its not easy to follow every single thing mentioned in the rituals. So, I personally think the most important thing is to have faith in whatever you are doing and do it diligently and god will take it happily because you trust in him.

5. swehara

swehara Junior IL'ite

Hi Sowjanya,

I am in US and doing this puja. This is my second year.I am fine here getting brahmin people , be it from any part of India (telugu, tamil, kannada) if we dont get from our part. So even if you get any from any part of India it is fine , because if you read the story of mangala gowri vrath it is says that you should give vayanam to a brahmin lady .So we follow as per the story.

Here in US i see many people doing this and there are many brahmin ladies available.

But i do have a small question from your post, if you dont mind :) . Generally we follow this mangala gowri puja if MIL side has this tradition after marriage , but can we do if MIL doesnt have and Mom side has this tradition?

The reason why I am asking is my Mom side they dont have this tradition , but my MIL side they have it.

So i just wanted to confirm.

6. nshobitha

nshobitha Bronze IL'ite

hi swehara,

its really nice to hear dat u found a brahmin lady. more over i see that u live in texas state n this is the place where u can find lot of indians settled for years now.

My mil n mom believe that if some1 teaches u hw to do it as per the process then u can follow n only if ur il's r fine with u doing or following rituals from ur moms end

i dont think there is hard n fast rule for this...this is only in my opinion

7. swehara

swehara Junior IL'ite

8. sagi16

sagi16 New IL'ite

Hello ladies,

Thanks for all your replies !
    Pleased to find someone answering my concerns :)

@sahitisharma86 - Frankly, I am not overtly bothered about communities or castes, it is just that I wanted to know what the actual practice is.
    I love performing pujas and take pleasure in every single festival or ritual followed at home. Infact, I personally feel the need of following these traditions in order to keep our culture going strong through generations to come.
    I also feel there has been a lot of thinking and reasoning undertaken behind most of our rituals and beliefs and hence appreciate their importance every bit.

My mom was insisting I follow as per the family tradition (again, if possible !), but every family or community has its own limitations. Hence I wanted to know if it can be done with any exceptions.

@nshobitha - I truly agree with you on that. When I realised it might not be possible to get as many brahmin ladies, I said the exact same thing to myself - "It is the faith and devotion that matters in a puja, not the procedure or materials" and went ahead to give tamboolams at the nearby temple :)
    So, I think , its just the dedication and the will to follow the puja that matters most !

@swehara - Well, I am not quite sure if it has to be followed or not. Infact, even my MIL's family does not have this puja, but I started it with her nod.
    And I personally wanted to follow this as I grew up seeing my mom doing such pujas for the well being of my family and indeed, we have never had any major problems in life (touchwood)! And I give the whole credit to her dedication and belief in God :bowdown
    I believe that very strongly and I thought why not follow something that brings peace of mind and happiness to my family :thumbsup
    Again, its a matter of perception and possibilty of getting things done.

Well ladies, I am really glad I could finish 2 weeks successfully (3rd tuesday i couldnt ,thanks to my date !). So, hoping I can finish the last one as well without many issues.
    I shall keep you posted as n when I get to finish it.

Thanks once again for all your posts. Much appreciated !

:thankyou2:

1 person likes this.
  9. Nikki09

Nikki09 New IL'ite

I am going to start this Vrat on every Tuesday of shravan from 26th July 2016. Want to know the procedures to follow it.
    I read on websites about that this vrat for 5 years and following materials are required for fast 16 flowers, 16 fruits, 16
    betel nuts, 16 cloves,16 cumin,16 coriamder,16 makeup,16 bangles etc.
    I am totally confused. I really want to know that these 16-16 item required on udhyapan of vrat on 5 year or every week of every year. Please clear.
    Also mentioned after the story married lady gives 16 Ladoos to her mother in law & sister in law.I am in US and don't have many friend or family members here so how can do this Vrat.
    Please suggest me!!!

10. daysnfestivals

daysnfestivals New IL'ite

Actually according to Indian fast and ritual rules after marriage we have to follow MIL rules first. The rituals and customs of mom side become less important.If there is a problem in following the rules then you can manage on the behalf of mother side. here is the link og mangla gauri aarti if you don't know how to recite the aarti
    ►► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PufO0zH265U