working or Career woman?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by anika987, Jul 28, 2013.

1. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

Re: Are you working because you are ambitious or just for soical pressure?

Yeah.Me too sailing in the same boat. Thought of something and am doin another thing.

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

which one would u choose ??

If I work full time and earn well,I will be respected among st my relatives but personal family life will suffer since being a mommy to 2 kids and also my husband's work is very hectic .

but if I don't,my family life will be good but every time I meet my relatives,they will look at me in a degrading manner.

Which one would u prefer?

p.s: They respect ONLY women who earn a lot and who work full time.

3. shama146

shama146 Gold IL'ite

Re: which one would u choose ??

You give preference to your family or your relative???

Everything is immaterial. what really matters is what you want to do. - to be a working woman or a home maker.

4. Generous

Generous Bronze IL'ite

Re: Are you working because you are ambitious or just for soical pressure?

I was working after marriage devoting most of my time to my job till my DS was born then i took break ,now i will be starting my 2nd inning soon( my new job) cos i think i m prepared now,
    I decided to work rather than be at home with nagging in laws,
    plus it will give me back lost self esteem ( hope so) , help my DH financially too,
    last but not the least want to utilise my education in shaping my kids lives.

1 person likes this.
  5. jumpingjax

jumpingjax Bronze IL'ite

Lately, I've found myself struggling with this question. I have worked since graduating because I enjoy working as well as enjoy the confidence and self-esteem it gives. Even after marriage, I continued working. When my child was born, I was torn between staying home and working but in the end, I felt it better to work to maintain our lifestyle, though I hated leaving my child with a third party. Now with my second on the way, I would love a job that allows me to work from home - dreaming!! That would be ideal - able to be with my kids but still earn and maintain some self-esteem. Though from my past experience, working from home is still not considered 'proper full time work' and so not given as much consideration or value. Oh well - to each his own!

6. OliveOyl

OliveOyl Gold IL'ite

I am working for the past 14 years with no break...at one point in time i was very ambitious and wanted to do big things..was the class topper recruited into IT field...but now, been there and done that...feel very empty and purposeless...kids are neglected, house is a mess, most days come back home too tired to have a decent conversation with kids and hubby..not being there for anybody, friends, family or kid...hate going to work insanely jealous of stay at home moms and their nice well mannered, well dressed, well fed children...long commute and late night calls dont help at all...very frustrated...when i rush to work in the morning, i see moms drop kids to school, go for yoga, morning walk...buy complex veggies which take lot of time to prepare..discuss school teachers and projects..wish i could do these things!!!!!!

5 people like this.
  7. vidu24

vidu24 Silver IL'ite

I came to US after marriage. Before that i use to work in india as a programmer. Here in US i couldn't work because of those visa issues. I spent 7 years with out working also no kids. so i really want to work and update myself. Now iam working for part time. I enjoy working. Iam notaving any IL's problem since iam here. Problem comes only when she visits us. My DH helped me a lot during those times and also in getting the job. Its absolultetely my wish to work or not work.I dont pay much attention to what others think or say. Its our life so we have to enjoy every moment.

1 person likes this.
  8. cutypie12

cutypie12 New IL'ite

I agree wen housewives meet others during social events that somebody asking u working ??? , the NO answer will definitely make others to think low abt housewives . But this is not correct. Our society has built up with such a feeling on working women . I feel its better to do some work of ur choice , so that ur mind stays busy , meeting others outside home makes u refresh , u can be away from all the INLAWS torture for sometime and finally u ll earn some money which makes u more confident from ur inside feeling .

On the other side Housewives make a great contribution for the welfare of home , u cal also do it by working , i mean balancing the both in proper way :)

Regards:thumbsup

9. ppriya182010

ppriya182010 Gold IL'ite

OliveOyl, it felt like reading my mind! Only that I have been working for the past 10 yrs! I wanted to quit working after having kid. But then finance, issues with DH, dreaded about the future of my marriage all pushed me to continue working after having child. Now I feel so jealous of all Stay at home moms who can spent good quality time with their kids and take care of the family, DH, kids and house.

OP, its always "Greener on the other side". Whenever I visit any relative, they snide to my face why I am working and not taking care of my child at home. They literally criticize me what are you doing with all the money you earn when you cant take care of your child. I feel so degraded. Now what do you say for that?

Its all about personal choices.

2 people like this.
  10. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

HI worked for many years and then quit after the kids were older....as I wanted more time for me and hubby. I enjoy being at home but miss the social interaction of work. I might go back pt..just to keep inthe loop ....