1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is a woman allowed to be selfish?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ns, Aug 5, 2013.

1. ns

ns Silver IL'ite

I don’t know when I turned selfish. I am amazed I have so easily accepted and believed that I have turned selfish. Repeatedly, I horrify and shock my own self with my acts ofselfishness, indifference and coldness. Where did that selflessness go? Where did all that warmth go? Why do I just not feel empathetic towards ANYONE?

Before I married and came to US to live with a stranger, my life was much different and I was much different. I was surrounded by friends all the time. I was always making friends. I was exploring, out that and always with people. I was popular and loved – by neighbours, their kids, colleagues, cousins - everyone. I had my head way too high in the clouds to see the ground. And suddenly, I had nothing. No friends, no peoplearound me, no feeling of popularity.

And when I don’t have anything,what will I give others? I just became one invisible, insignificant speck in anew land. I was no one. I could do nothing for anyone.

Under the garb of coldness, I remained touchy, sensitive and fragile as before but I wouldn’t show it. Again, there was no one to see that.

Is that why I am always thinking of myself? Because I am hanging on to few of those things left with me? Is there a connection? That I think of things like, when will I have people around me again, when will I feel at home here,why isn’t anyone holding my hand through this, why isn’t anyone taking extra care of me during this tough time, why should I compromise more, when will things happen as per me – and so on.

There is still so much discontent within me. Instead of seeing the glass half full, I always see it as half empty. There are so many missing pieces.T here are still so many gaps in the picture. With so many disappointments, I find it difficult to shift my focus away from me, my interests, my life to others.

I know I am a woman. A homemaker. I am supposed to build a home and bind it together.

Even though I am falling apart? Even though I am struggling to find missing pieces of my life?

4 people like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear NS,

No, you have not become selfish but you lost your self-confidence. What you are suffering from is home sickness and it is very common for everyone who moves away from a familiar environment to another unfamiliar and new environment. We as human beings always resist change and we need to overcome that as quickly as possible. Change is the only thing that is permanent and everything around us and inside of us keep changing all the time. You need to assure yourself that you haven't lost anything. Gather yourself and reestablish your trait of being friendly with others. Go out and speak to other families and become friendly with them. All of us went through what you are going through now when we moved to the United States and you will overcome that pretty quickly. Be patient and the new environment will become a familiar one pretty soon and you will miss your new environment every time you need to travel out. You have to help yourself first before you start building your home.

Viswa

7 people like this.
  3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Babes....chill
    Now you are in IL...
    You want will get what you want.....just DEMAND....

Ns
    Welcome to IL!!
    We are a big and happy family.And you are our new member.
    Life is not a bed of roses...and we dont always get and reach where we want to.
    You are not being selfish....you are just being human...
    I believe that the purpose of life is to be happy. From the moment of birth..every human being wants happiness and does not want suffering. Neither social conditioning nor education nor ideology affect this. From the very core of our being we simply desire contentment.
    I don't know whether the universe with its countless galaxies, stars and planets has a deeper meaning or not but at the very least it is clear that we humans who live on this earth face the task of making a happy life for ourselves.Therefore it is important to discover what will bring about the greatest degree of happiness.Make friends and be happy.
    Hope you will have a great time in IL.:)

The answer to you question is YES a woman is allowed to be selfish....so that she can make herself happy and ppl around her happy.

4 people like this.
  4. mp1234

mp1234 Gold IL'ite

ns

you have penned down your inner thoughts and fears so beautifully.It is heartening to see you realise what is going on with you and your life.I think you have to stop being nostalgic and thinking of the past . keep them as beautiful memories in a particular section of your memory.Do not cling on to that.
    This is a new chapter of your life.Start fresh. Reach out to people.Build friendships.You will have people around you again.Things will happen in your life.You have to make an effort.Slowly,life will again become more beautiful .
    All the best.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

NS,

welcome to IL. As we grow we have a tendency to look back and see how we were. As good as that is, it is always good to remember that the circumstances and the situations you have to deal with are very different. So you are in the process of learning and when you are older and look back perhaps you will see that what you are feeling now is also a phase. That does not mean you should not try to be what you were before marriage. By all means, you must - you must keep your heart happy and observe and learn.

Despite what you are feeling, what you are doing is exactly that - building a home and keeping it together for how you do that will give beautiful memories to your children. So what if you feel a little lost, you know you are doing the right thing. The truth is we cannot find the missing pieces when we look for them, the puzzle only gets more puzzling. It is after the phase that you might find them. So all you can do is to continue to hold yourself together while searching for the pieces knowing that this is also a phase and that you are doing your best. Just because you are missing some pieces does not mean you are not building with new available ones - make the best use of that. Best wishes and hugs.

3 people like this.
  6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear NS,
    You have not become selfish. Your thoughts have become self-centered now due to the new environment.But you can come out of this if you make friends and focus on some hobby which you like. Wishing you all the best to come out of your shell and make new friends,
    PS

2 people like this.
  7. attitudegirl

attitudegirl Platinum IL'ite

The way u have described ur feelings descibes u..

If changing ur priorities means being selfish, so be it.

It's normal to feel like how u r feeling in a new environment. All these days you have been sheltered, guarded by your dear parents. Now it's time for u to break out of that shell and etch a new life of your own. Marriage is a roller coaster ride. It'll jet speed ahead, without u even realising how fast it goes. There will be ups and downs, twists and turns, at the most unexpected times. That's life for u. Face it as it comes.

Enjoy each and every moment of your life. 10 years down the lane, you'll look back and smile at your feelings now. If only human can turn back one second of his life... One can't... So why waste it over pondering about half-empty things..

GOD gives only half-empty glass to everyone. EVERYONE. For some the glass is big, for some the glass is small. Depends upon one's capabilty to handle situations. No one escapes the trials and tribulation of this life. Not even the richest person on this earth. Life is a test. It's upto us to see whether it's half-full or half-empty.

If things don't go as we planned, it makes us frustrated. A realistic assessment will help us overcome these frustrations. Life is very simple to live, but we r hell bent on making it complicated for ourselves..

Look around you. This is gonna be ur home for I don't how many years. Home is where your heart is. Enjoy each and every day as you have started on a new journey. U dont know what tomorrow holds for u. Take each day as it come. Live your life to the fullest.

5 people like this.
  8. HEMASRIRANGAM

HEMASRIRANGAM Bronze IL'ite

Please relax your mind which way you are interested.Slowly you can come out of this thoughts,don't worry.

1 person likes this.
  9. ns

ns Silver IL'ite

Hi Vishwamitra,

Thank you for going through my rants. It feels good when you say that I am just suffering from homesickness and not pure selfishness. I am becoming more and more social, making friends, going out.. so that life becomes normal again.. I am seeing a better future already!

Thank you for your support..

1 person likes this.
  10. ns

ns Silver IL'ite

Thank you, Dinny! I felt so much better reading your reply. You are right, it feels really good to be a part of IL. I feel connected to all those women who understand what I feel, who have been on similar journeys..

1 person likes this.