Travelling after c-section

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by SGBV, Jul 29, 2013.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Hi ladies...

I belong to the club Oct 2013, however I am expected to deliver my second baby in somewhere mid September 2013 as this time it is gonna be an elective c-section, so probably 2 weeks earlier to my due date (Oct 2nd).

My office has a package for delivery and it is a lump sum. Although I prefer to enjoy that by admitting myself in the most high class, expensive hospital in the country, I fear about some other things too.

My regular Gynecologist gave the green signal in a letter for me to admit in the new hospital for delivery, and he refereed me to a new Dr there. I am yet to meet him.

My concern is, the new hospital is 3hrs drive from my home. After c-sec they will keep you in the recovery room for 3 days, then you will be discharged from the hospital, right?
    In that case, will I be allowed to travel 3 hrs (in a car or van) to home with the infant?

Has anyone traveled that long 3 days after c-section? Is that safe? Will the Dr allow you for that?

I really want to go home after delivery and do not like to stay with anyone closer to the hospital for this matter.

Pls help me

2. kika

kika Silver IL'ite

I don't think you will be able to travel. Even a small hump might cause discomfort. Do not take such risks.

3. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

I don't think travel is advisable. I was too tired and had severe body pain for long time.

4. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

While I stayed close to hospital, i met another mom who was staying far away and she mentioned some issues with respect to the commute (her baby and my kids were in NICU together and she couldnt make it to the hosp every day)

having said this, a lot depends on what vehicle hosp provides, (van...? where you can lie down), road condition etc...If Dr is confident, then you can go for it

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thank you everyone. I have no idea whether the hospital provides any vehicle for me to travel after being discharged. I live in Colombo, Sri Lanka and I've never seen such a thing here. I should better ask someone about it.

I have my personal van, and a car. This is what I have as options for the travel.

I can also extend my stay in the hospital for a couple of more days, but I definitely want to go back to home instead of staying somewhere else.

The road condition is good. Nothing to complain, specially no bumbs.