1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. abhigail

abhigail Silver IL'ite

One point I wanted to make: I type my updates in a note pad after reading the posts in the morning and then just paste the typed updates without checking the latest updates. So i know i miss many updates in between that happen. Need to get that right as its nice to know what other friends are doing and updating.

1 person likes this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Good morning All
    Finally my slides were presented yesterday to the upper management and we listened remotely.
    When my slides popped up my tummy was roiling in tension! No questions were asked; that gave me so much relief.
    The rest of the day was easier then on. Got most of the small jobs out of the way and now ready for the big ones to be tackled today and tomorrow.

Yesterday because of all this tension I did not cook lunch.
    B'fast was just toast.
    I had sambar, and greens curry in the freezer. That's what I used for lunch. For dinner I made Utthappam.
    My husband finally gave me credit that I make Utthappams better than Saravana Bhavan (Vashistar vaayaal Bramharishi") Sorry folks, those who don't know Tamil; I don't know how to translate.
    Washed one batch of clothes.
    That's about all I did.
    Thank you all once again for your compliments on my bio.
    There is more to my life and the situations that drove me to make certain decisions, which I have not written here.
    I tried to keep the information such that it only explains why and how I got interested in Time Management.
    If for some the post looks like I am bragging, I apologize. It was unintentional.

However, I am glad that all of you who have complimented me looked at it as inspirational!

I did not take up a job to earn money. The main aim was to keep me and my mind busy and active. Also my parents, my husband, and my parents-in-law all believed that a woman should stand on her own.

I credit my husband for encouraging me. He told me to just keep to basic S.Indian cuisine and not worry about other kinds of food - Chinese, Italian, Mexican. His advise was to close the kitchen and take a break and also allow my family to eat "good" food :)

When I hesitated to go back to school he told me Madam Curie started her research only in her forties.
    That was my inspiration! I read her biography and thought, "why not?"

Going back to school helped me really; exposed me to, and understand the people of the United States much better. Many of my preconceived notions fell off and I have learnt to be tolerant towards all kinds of folks.
    Dear Mahe
    I understand your desire to work outside. However, raising children is also a full-time job and you appear to be very busy as is and I see you are doing a fantastic job. Be happy.

Dear Abhi
    Nice to know you enjoyed being home while in the US. I am sure if you had continued here you too would have taken a different decision. The bottom line is you are happy and that is what matters most.

Thank you Manju.
    Look forward to reading about you too. Being a major contributor to this thread I feel the readers should know a bit more about you. You are a great source of inspiration to many of us.

Dear Golumolu, Jeni, Akila, Prana: Thank you for your compliments.

Dear Kika: Thanks for the clarification. Yes, your cryptic remark was very puzzling to me.
    I belong to the group that believes age is no factor to improve oneself. Also the more you learn the more active the brain cells continue to be. So I always try to learn something new; I attend classes whenever I can.

Each person's circumstances and beliefs are different. So there is no right or wrong in whatever decision one makes.

If I may, I will only advise to not compare your life to another person's and feel you should/could have done this or that like her/him. Do only what you want to do and set you own priorities. Only your own circumstances will govern the decisions you make. The most important result of your action should be that you and your family are happy.

Take care all.
    Dear moderator
    I apologize for veering away from TM in this post. However, I felt this post is important for more than one reason that I will explain in a pm to you.
    Thanks

10 people like this.
  3. kika

kika Silver IL'ite

My update:

Got up at 6.30am
    Medicine , legiyam and milk for me
    Washed cloth diapers
    Put 2 loads of laundry
    Sent DD to school
    Bfast
    Cleaning:
    Cleaned and aligned the grocery shelf in store room
    Cleaned 2 other shelfs in store room
    Seggregated and aligned all big shoppers, big bags, tiffin bags and small bags
    ( big task is to maintain as other family members use it)

Took bath
    Checked and updated in IL
    Had lunch
    Played with DD
    Worked with DD for writing
    Washed cloth diaper and put in WM
    TV time
    Dinner
    Put DS to bed
    Got DD ready for sleep
    As usual nursing routines in btw

Went to bed very late after yapping with mom. :bonk Didn't get good sleep in the night.

Kkrish:

Nice write up. True words spoken with clarity. . Got to know you better.Appreciate what you have written. :thumbsup

4 people like this.
  4. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Thank you kika for your response. Even though i am doing so much of work and making me busy, sometimes i feel so depressed that i am not making use of my education to enhance myself(in financially also). Sometimes i need to give explanation for the things i need. At that moment i would really feel bad that i need to work for my sake.
    Hi abi, Meeting friends make me happy.I love people around me.
    Hi Jeni, Hugs to you dear that with small kids, you are doing a lot. Nice to hear that your hubby appreciated you. It will motivate us , if our dear ones are encouraging and appreciating for our hard effort.Found a maid?
    Hi krish mam, Thank you for your response. But now i am afraid of going outside to find a job(really trust me). I am so afraid to work outside leaving my son in other's hand. I don't know what to do. Really in a confusion stage. If i have to live peacefully, I have to adjust myself financially. sometimes i feel ok but sometime i feel, why. sorry for distracting this thread.
    But now i am learning embroidery myself through net and doing for my own dresses. I hope i will do it as a business as soon as possible(started 4 years before, but doing the 4th dress now) But day before yesterday i restarted my embroidery work.
    Really krish mam, Thanks for starting this thread. It is my good time that i joined this thread. After joing this thread now i am not wasting my time. I am doing two works at a time. While watching tv itself, doing embroidery, while cooking itself, cutting the veggies, while my ds is studying , i would be in the same room and do something like folding the clothes or reading some books.More like this. Before i was not like that, whole day i will be doing something without knowing what i did the whole day.
    Now also by watching 'The life of Pi', I am in IL.
    But really concentrating in IL more. But learned some good lesson for this movie. The one thing i learned more is 'Fight for your own place'.:)
    Sorry, Krish mam. I am not creating sympathy or comparing anybody. For the past two days i am so much depressed, today i burst out my fears here, really feeling better.

Dear Moderator, If you feel my post is deviating from this thread you can delete this post.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    9 people like this.
  5. chithirainilavu

chithirainilavu Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Great to see so many updates and all are motivating. Not very hectic schedules but still keeping my self busy. My last weeks updates Cooking : Apart from my regular cooking, i also tried making cup cakes (for the first time), MW mysorepak (twice), dhokla, cutlets - all were quite a hit.:thumbsup All are kids demands. They were so happy and screaming in excitement when they saw the cupcakes. (They also helped me little) still surfing for some new nutritious recipes.

Cleaning : Regular cleaning, My parents and brother, SIL and their LO are coming in mid august for 10 days, so creating space in shelves and getting the rooms ready for them. This is really motivating me as the LO is coming for the first time:). Need to wash the curtains, but rain God is sincerely doing his work, pouring continuously, drying day to day clothes itself is a challenge. And heavy curtains , no way. Need to wait. On the whole the house is clean, clearing the mess created by kids then and there. My younger DD after coming back from school is asking, amma eppadi veedu cleana irukku? (How the house is so clean?). Within 15 minutes, the house got messed up.:bonk: What a talent?

Exercise : Too happy that i joined my yoga classes again. So mornings have become busy. But i am very happy that i am doing 6 cycles of surya namaskars with variations without any tiredness. Initially i used to be slow and tired also.

Have a nice weekend gals.

@ kamala mam - what an inspiration you are mam!!! No words to say. I am just standing far way, folding my hands and admiring you.

@ manju mam - I love to read your updates and feel i am staying somewhere near you. What is the progress in your business idea?

@ prana - you came like a lightning and missing now.
    @ akila - tell me the secret of your energy level to go for a walk after all your work.

@ mahe - hugs to you girl. You are rocking:cheers. Really i can't do so much work, variety cooking, sincere workouts also. I have noted down the menu you cook, as a diet plan. I am lazy to cook low calorie food for me, but i cook whatever kids and DH demand and have the same. Even i am in the same as you, not working and getting depressed. My twin DDs are totally against me going for work. Let me see. They are out of the house for 4 hours (8-12). No way i can join anywhere.

@ abhigail, golumolu, gorgeous I like the way you gals balance home and work and taking care your kids. Great job.:bowdown:

@ kika - nice to read your updates and tips also.

@ jeni - Getting appreciation from DH would have motivated you a lot. Maids thinking is only money. There are few exceptions with loyalty. Hope you get a new maid soon

@ sound - Like your short and fast updates.

bye girls, have a nice weekend

shara

8 people like this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Good Friday all
    Yesterday was a normal day except that I was very tired, mentally. Wondering why.
    Made grits for b'fast.
    Tomato rice and curd rice for lunch.
    For dinner made adai. had some leftover Appam batter, and sweet -coconut milk in the freezer. Made a couple for my son.

I had been meaning to do this everyday; finally took out the small tub, filled it with hot water and soaked my feet! Ahh!!!Blisssss!!!
    Scrubbed the calluses with pumice stone, massaged my feet with moisturizer.
    All this while watching TV.
    Slept well.
    So I am adding this routine to my evenings!
    Welcome Nita Banerjee!
    Dear Shara, Doors and other silent readers: Thanks for your likes.
    Dear Jeni: I like you nail-cutting day. I have made Sunday my nail-cutting day. Thanks.
    Dear Abhi: how is your son? Don't worry about posting or acknowledging us in later posts. We understand.
    Dear Gorgeous: Boss giving you a hard time? Mmm...sorry about it.
    Dear Kika: Glad you got to know me better.
    Yes, you seem to be at loggerheads with me for some reason. This is the second time you have misunderstood the intention of my posts, and have gone off at a tangent.
    I wonder why?
    All others seem to understand where I come from and have no problem getting my point without misunderstanding.
    Perhaps that is why I was very tired - here you are commenting on my life and there I am wondering, "why such a comment? What did I do to her?"
    Dear Mahesh: It is ok to vent here once in a while. But please do not go too much into details or too often :).
    As mentioned earlier I understand your frustration. You want to go out and work, yet you want to take care of your child. Sorry dear, can't have the cake and eat it too; there is a price to pay for everything.
    None of our lives are the way we want it to be; so we must make the most out of what is handed to us.
    Taking up embroidery is a good decision. With so much demand for designer blouses, dresses, and sarees I am sure a home-based business will surely be successful.

One of my friends in the US pursued her passion in yoga and now teaches yoga and also teaches math.I just recall that Shara has a double MBA and I think she has opted to stay home because of young twins. (Shara please correct me if I am wrong)
    Our very own Manju! I know how highly academically qualified she is and about some of the decisions she has made.
    When she writes about herself you will know and am sure she will be an inspiration to you and many others.

I'will stop here.
    Time Management is not confined to just doing household chores but also how wisely to utilize it in pursuing our passions, our hobbies, our leisure and to help us become confident, happy, and content.

Best wishes
    Take care.
    Have a happy weekend.

8 people like this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shara
    Welcome back dear!
    Looks like we posted at the same time!
    Nice to read your update!
    Why do you have to live so far away- all that mysore pak without me? too bad, too bad.
    Thanks for your compliment.:bowdown

3 people like this.
  8. SoundVijay

SoundVijay Gold IL'ite

Hi All:hiya

My yesterday's Update: My MIL was not feeling well yesterday and hence went home & took care of all the household work. Washed the vessels, gave food to my DD. Washed the vessles and cleaned the cook top and gave stove along with the sink. Swept the house and washed the tiffen boxes. Morning when she got up, she was fine and i started to office.

Hai all,
    @chithirainilavu, manju, prana, akila, Mahe, abhigail, golumolu, gorgeous, Kika, jeni and Kamala mam and others. Nice to see your updates.

Sound

5 people like this.
  9. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kamala,

I liked all your updates. Though I gave like but was not responding due to inconvenience using tablet. In all the post I felt motherly warmth and care. What more I can say!! Your bio is so inspirational, taking life in its course.

Hi all young parents,

In the past few posts most of you have told that LOs are not well. May be it is the season doing the mischief. Happy to know everybody is recovering. Take care all you.

Hi Mahe,

I am understanding your frustration. but with my experience I tell, most of frustration is happening due to our idle mind manipulating things. Though husband doesn't interfere in our freedom, even the discussions on dos and dont's in financial matters bother us too much. We only feel that we need to explain, we do that even when it is not expected finally getting disappointed when we don't get proper response. Good you have taken up embroidery, definitely you will get diverted a lot, your time will be spent useful, your mind will be occupied. First of all realize that you have every right to spend for what you really need. For something, if we need to explain it is ok, don't we tell / explain our parents before marriage. Hope you don't mistake me for telling this.

Hi Kika,

Actually I am not using the convection as such to its fullest yet. But the instacook menu in that is very useful. In the mornings I cook veggies in that without having to bother to turn it as if in gas stove. At times I use convection for pizza for which I get the base from shop. Also it is very useful when I do the ennai kathrikai (whole stuffed small brinjal curry) without much oil using m/w, convection and grilling option. At times baking cake using only microwave as convection takes long time. Rarely using convection to bake biscuits. But still not indulged in making breads as I am not getting good yeast locally and also specific ingredients to bake. I think non-veg people will have much more uses with convection option.

hi Akila,

You are one Duracell battery like person. 4 km jogging??? Oh My! I feel like an ordinary battery.

Hi Jeni,

You must have had engaged a maid when you maid left for two months itself at least on temporary basis. So that you could have extended her as permanent. But better late than never. At least now you came to know that she is not coming back. May be she thought that you will not be able to manage without maid and you will offer more than whatever you were paying. Take care. It is nice you were appreciated by hubby. That is a crown. That recognition motivates us a lot.

hi Soundarya,

Take care of your mil.

I think past 2 or three months I was not giving response to all posts, because I was using tablet regularly. I used it like an alternate to laptop, but I feel laptop is more convenient. Operation is easier. Tablet is handy but copying and pasting becomes difficult at times as I am typing directly in quick reply. May be I should start using word document to type responses first while reading the updates itself. And using the swype and correcting the words itself is taking a long time.

Hi to shara, abigail, Anupama, prana, Sound, golumolu, gorgeous

So please others whom I have not mentioned, don't mistake me as I am not able to recollect all posts at one go.

Regards
    Manjukps

8 people like this.
  10. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

My Updates:

Wednesday:
    After regular chores went to mom's place to spend time with nieces as they were leaving to US by midnight. Took my sil for some last minute purchase locally. After coffee came back home around 3.30. When my DD arrived, picked up Ds, made dosa. Went to music class. During class, I browsed my tablet for articles on pancha boothas, as my dd's teacher had requested me to write on this topic for their class assembly program in tamil. Came at 7.30 helped in their studies, while I finished finalizing the script. Then dinner curd rice. After Dh arrived served him and closed kitchen. Usually my mil will take care of serving my fil's dinner, the same I do for the tiffin in the evening for kids and she also eats after him around 7.30. If dosa kind, she will prepare just before eating. After dinner and chores at kitchen, by 10 I started typing the tamil script in laptop as my handwriting was not readable, completed by 11 as I could not type fast as english.

Thursday: Got up at 5, usual chores. Took print out of the script. After breakfast, went out, bought some biscuits and veggies. Completed stitching a blouse, had lunch. Maid came finished her chores of sweeping, washing vessels. Taught her to hem the blouse and gave the completed to her to hem and stitch buttons. Took some rest. Soaked poha and mixed with jaggery and coconut for evening snacks for all. By 4.10 dd arrived, then on the way back after picking my son, got my glasses, bought shoes for him. By the time, I reached home my co-sis who had arrived from US on wednesday came with kids to see my in-laws and us. Chatted with her for some time. Then while my mil and she were chatting, I prepared vegetable upma for all. Since I put onion in upma, my fil's dinner was dosa. Kids were studying, helped them a bit. Engaged other kids. Then by 8, after her uncle arrived had dinner. DH also arrived 8.15 to see them. By 9 mil gave milk to fil. I cleaned kitchen and stove top and hit the bed.

Friday: Got up by 5 usual chores. Today being friday fil will do lalitha sahasranamam, mil prepared little charkarai pongal just enough for neyvedhyam. Usually on all days during after bath cooking mil will keep rice in cooker wearing 9 yards saree for neyvedhyam, all other things I will complete. Helped DH to compile his tax papers as we have to file his returns before 31st this month. After having oats, went to nearby temple, made archanai, today being my star birthday. Spent some time talking to known people, then visited parents to seek their blessings. Morning right after bath, was blessed by in-laws. Came back, had lunch with mil. She usually watches few serials in the afternoon as well as after 7.30 pm. I saw with her today trying to understand and to relate since last I saw when she was here a month back. Nothing I was able to relate, I was getting confused with all the names of serials. I never switch on tv during day time, as well when kids are studying. During lunch when I am alone, will see KTV. Then will switch it off. Otherwise I don't even know the channel numbers, for which I will be teased by all at home. Took a nap of 30 min, half stitched a designer blouse for client. Around 3.30 my parents came to see my in-laws, while they were chatting, I prepared adai batter, made adai for them, then dd arrived, served her. Parents left. Picked DS served him, left to music class little earlier than usual. On the way went to amman temple. Being aadi velli there was much rush and we were little delayed for the class. Today during class was solving few sudoku in my mobile.
    Came home by 7.30. Made kids to study, while they were studying posted previous post, had dinner by 9. DH arrived by 10. He had his dinner at office itself. So gave him just milk and now in IL typing this update for second time as I lost the first one just by clicking a wrong button.

Ok girls, Good night. Have a nice weekend.

Regards
    Manjukps

9 people like this.