How can you be eco friendly?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by coolblues, Apr 21, 2013.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

Great noktina... Earth needs more and more people like you :)

2. ShwetambaraRedd

ShwetambaraRedd Junior IL'ite

I Scored only 4 and thanks for your helpful tips i guess if everyone starts following this then it will surely lead to a healthy and eco friendly environment....Great share!!!

3. Bright1905

Bright1905 New IL'ite

We, my hubby n me, live as - are environmentalists – and are constantly striving towards bettering ourselves at keeping the smallest ecological footprint. In the hope to inspire more people, here are our 25 points :)

We dont use plastic carry bags, instead just use cloth bags.
    We carry our own containers when we have to buy ration like dals, rice, etc. (it amuses the shopkeepers but they are also grateful as plastic bags cost them about Rs.2000/- every month).
    We never use plastic bottles for drinking water or for soft drinks. We carry our own and if required get them filled up from any hotel.
    For the dustbin at home, we use a brown paper bag, but we’re shortly moving to a washable umbrella cloth bag.
    We dont order food at home, instead we go out and eat.
    If we have to get some food packed, we carry our containers and cloth bags and the restaurant/roadside eatery is happy to put the food in them.
    Once we finish our present lot of detergent, we plan to use only soapnuts instead of chemical detergents for washing clothes.
    We mop our home’s floor with water and once a week with soapnut water.
    We dont waste paper at all. We also use the other side of any paper. A sheet of paper for jotting down notes lasts months for Chintan and I haven’t brought a dairy/copy since school, as I used to just take extra one-sided sheets from any Xerox shop and get them bound and use them.
    We dont buy newspapers for environmental reasons.
    We dont keep a TV, but thats also because we dont wish to spend our time like that.
    We dont use soap for bathing. We know more people who do that too and all of them are doing perfectly well without it.
    We also dont bathe everyday like the social norm. All this also saves a lot of water.
    We dont use any facecreams/lotions/sunscreens etc. These are pure chemicals and harmful for the body and the environment.
    Chintan keeps his stuff minimalistic. His entire stuff could be packed in about 2 suitcases.
    If he has to buy a new shirt/tshirt etc, he donates an old one. I am trying to get there and have taken a 2 year no shopping pledge which basically means I buy only what is absolutely required.
    Chintan doesnt use hot water for bathing. Even in cold temperatures, it is cold/normal water only. This wasn’t the case earlier, because earlier he used to use very hot water.
    He doesnt use AC or heater, though I use the AC sometimes.
    We use public transport as far as possible. And that is also when Chintan is officially paid to travel in cars/cabs, etc. when on work assignments.
    He skips 10 meals a month. He thought he’d feed those to the hungry instead, but hasn’t been able to feed others as he had kept a criteria that he would feed someone who is working for a living and not begging.
    We have some old plastic bags which we use if plastic is required like when we are off to the beach and need something to keep wet clothes in or when we carrying some curried vegetable to office and wash the plastic bag later and re-store.
    We use barely 1 or 2 packaged food items, which we are also phasing out.
    We avoid buying anything that comes in plastic packaging, though that is sometimes not possible, but we are working on it.
    Slowly we are phasing out all chemicals and packaged products from our lives and replacing the necessary things with natural things eg. instead of toothpaste use salt & lime with some mustard oil if one wants.
    We dont throw anything on the road, instead use dustbins, but the most interesting part is how we deal with others who try to litter. While travelling in Mumbai trains, everyday we come across people who try to litter, but we hold their hand and take the thing that they were about to throw and put it in our bags. This makes them feel very ashamed and they quickly ask it back or say that they will put it in the dustbin. It always works.

2 people like this.
  4. devikapathare

devikapathare New IL'ite

Good quiz and was happy to see your replies to each question as they were elaborate and informative. Liked your post.

5. alicewalker

alicewalker New IL'ite

6. shail123

shail123 Junior IL'ite

We should use ruggy bags and avoid unnecessary polythene and Paper bags to carry our goods.

7. mayavindra

mayavindra Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Great thought!!!

Few more Go green tips
    1. Stop Idling

Every moment you spend idling your car's engine means needlessly wasting gas, as well as rougher wear on your vehicle. Idling for more than 10 seconds wastes more gas than is needed for startup.

2. Turn Off Your Computer

Save energy and wear and tear on your hardware by shutting down your computer at night.

3. Wash Your Laundry in Cold Water

An easy way to clean green is to turn the dial on your washing machine to cold. Most loads don't need hot water, and 90% of the energy used by washing machines goes into heating. The higher the water temperature, the higher the cost to you and the planet.

4. Pay Bills Online

Save natural resources -- as well as late fees -- by enrolling in online bill-paying options. Paperless billing not only saves trees, it also eliminates the fossil fuel needed to get all those billing envelopes from them to you and back again. Plus, you'll save money on stamps.

You can visit the following website for more info. on the same.

TheDailyGreen.com

So Ladies!!! Let's Go Green!!!!!

Rama

8. shail123

shail123 Junior IL'ite

Thanks for posting very informative post, its very helpful for me in my daily life.

9. TerrieDaw

TerrieDaw Senior IL'ite

You can also green Your Workout/gym. You can use reusable Water Bottles.

Broke a sweat after that cardio session? Great! Now you have to replenish your body with fluids. Sports drinks such as Gatorade are good because of the electrolytes, but drinking water before, during, and after a workout is great too. Whatever you do, don’t bring a plastic water bottle!

It’s a waste of money and potential litter. All gyms should have easily accessible water fountains anyway, and if you prefer to carry water with you around the gym, bring a reusable water bottle to fill up.

Filling up once or twice could save energy from activating the fountain many, many times throughout your workout. Take pride in your accomplishments, always try to get better, and be glad to know that you did your best to go green even at the MMA Gym.

10. akshayasr

akshayasr Senior IL'ite

1. I take my own jute bag for shopping to avoid plastic
    2. Preparing my own vermi compost from the vegetable wastes from my home.. This avoid the precious thing going to the land fill
    3. segregating the recyclable wastes and giving it to the respective vendors
    4. Planting trees for my and my daughters birthday near my house