1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Eggs - Benefits

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by mssunitha2001, May 14, 2013.

1. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing.

1 person likes this.
  2. rasikabelote

rasikabelote New IL'ite

Is that yellow bulk good to eat or we have to avoid it?

3. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

source: livestrong.com

[​IMG]

Eggs have three separate sections -- the shell, the white and the yolk. When you crack open a raw egg, the yolk is the yellow, circular section; a growing embryo feeds off this part of the egg as it grows within the protective shell. While the health benefits of egg whites are widely known, egg yolks have health benefits, too.

More Vitamins Egg yolks contain more vitamins -- and larger quantities of those vitamins -- than egg whites. Each egg yolk contains seven vitamins: B6, folate, a B vitamin, B-12, A, D, E and K. Of those, vitamins A, D, E and K are found only in egg yolks and not in egg whites. In fact, egg yolks are one of only a handful of foods in which vitamin D is naturally found.

More Minerals Like vitamins, minerals are crucial nutritional building blocks, essential for carrying out body functions like balancing electrolytes. Egg yolks -- and egg whites -- each have 13 varieties of minerals. These minerals include calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, sodium and selenium. Although both the egg white and egg yolk contain these minerals, the yolk has larger amounts of most. For example, 90 percent of an egg's calcium is in its yolk; 93 percent of its iron content is in the yolk, with just 7 percent in the white.

Eye Health Carotenoids in egg yolk -- particularly the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin -- show promise for promoting eye health. These carotenoids, which are colorful pigments that give egg yolks their yellow color, lower the risk of age-related macular degeneration and cataracts, according to researchers. They act as antioxidants in the eye, protecting it from free radicals that can damage different parts of the retina, impacting its ability to correctly focus light.

Benefits of Choline Egg yolks -- and the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients found within them -- also help promote heart and cardiovascular health. Not only does the moderate consumption of egg yolks not show a direct connection to heart disease, but nutrients in the yolk -- such as choline -- help to regulate cardiovascular function.

1 person likes this.
  4. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

5. swarna1388

swarna1388 Silver IL'ite

thanks for sharing egg benefits

1 person likes this.
  6. ShwetambaraRedd

ShwetambaraRedd Junior IL'ite

Daily in the morning i have 1 boil egg and i love it....Thanks for sharing the useful information........:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  7. vidyagan

vidyagan Bronze IL'ite

I stopped taking egg for the last 3 years and now i feel like trying it again... after reading all these benefits...

1 person likes this.
  8. Geetha007

Geetha007 Junior IL'ite

Interesting to know.

9. mpreethi271

mpreethi271 Senior IL'ite

Found the article on "EGG" very informative. I have stopped consuming eggs with the fear of cholestrol. From now onwards, going to add it in my diet.

10. sandhyachander

sandhyachander Bronze IL'ite

Hi

Not only all these points, I heard that it cures the low blood pressure too...

I have low blood pressure....have one egg for breakfast in any form....in few weeks you see yr low bp has gone......