Migrating to Australia - resources and information

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by lahari, Nov 26, 2006.

Best gift for a new born and new mom

Poll closed Nov 19, 2010.
  1. Gift vouchers

66.7%
  2. Nappies for babies, flowers for mom

4.2%
  3. Clothing for new born, Bio-oil for stretch marks for mom

8.3%
  4. Baby name personalised photo frams, fleece, jacket

12.5%
  5. Pampering and Spa Gift vouchers for new mom to relax

8.3%
  6. Anything else please send on reply post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pikkle

Pikkle New IL'ite

Re: Moving to Melbourne, Australia

Hi,

I am an Australian, I live in Millicent, (half way between Melbourne and Adelaide). There is a young Indian family moving from India to come and work with my husband in a small country town. We are picking them up from the Airport in Melbourne on Thursday. We wish to show them around Melbourne and introduce them to Indian General Stores which are in the city or close to the city.

If anyone can recommend an area in Melbourne that has a wide community of Indian shops I would be very grateful.

As we are halfway between Melbourne and Adelaide, we will also take them to Adelaide at some time in the near future, I am aware of the Indian shops near Gouger Street but if there are more shops in Adelaide I would love to hear of them.

Thankyou for your help

2. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

G'day Pikkle,

Indian shops are found in most suburbs of Melbourne. There is a store on St. Kilda road and the CBD. There are plenty of Indian stores in Fitzroy,Footscray (northern suburbs)

If you can come down to the South Eastern suburbs, Clayton is the best & Dandenong further south.

Clayton is called "Mini Punjab" because of the Indian population & the stores, restaurants etc.

If you would like a suburb by suburb listing of Indian stores, just do a search on truelocal - Search Australia's fastest growing business directory it will give a list of what you are looking for locally.

I hope this helps.

3. sky98

sky98 New IL'ite

Hi Nirjohn

Coral has replied to all your queries. I would just like to add on a few things, based on my own experience.
    I would storngly suggest you go the victorian education website. Here you can find the list of all state and private schools. You could short a few suburbs and then try to contact a few schools in that area.Most of the schools are pretty good in responding to your email. If you are planning to put your kid(s), in state schools, you dont have to worry, because, they do not refuse admission to any one, who can rightfully study in Australia.
    If you need any more info on schools etc, feel free to ask me, as I have a 5 year old who has started primary school this year and have done quite a bit of research on them. I live at Glen Waverley, which is one of the South eastern suburbs
    Cheers
    Sky98

4. Nirjohn

Nirjohn New IL'ite

Hi Corallux and sky 98,

Thanks a lot . Busy with the preparations. not get time to open the forum. my cousin is searching accommodation and i will let u know .then only i can select the school.

please tell me what all things i can and cannot bring to OZ. Corallux , iam not able to find out the thread essentials to Oz.so please send one list.

we are sending one container from Saudi to 0Z .So please inform me what all i can take there.is there any ban for wooden furniture there? just give me a brief idea abt the necessary things .

i will keep in touch.

regards,
    nirjohn

5. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

The threads are:

Essentials to get to Australia / New Zealand

Indians in Australia & NZ

You can get any items so long they do not come under the list of banned items in the Quarantine list.

Just visit their website for more details.

6. ksrisuma

ksrisuma New IL'ite

Need info about Melbourne

Hi,
    We r planning to move to Melbourne ,regarding my husbands project work which may be for 2-3 yrs.Presently we are in Hyderabad.
    Since we have neither relatives nor friends in OZ,we are not able to get sufficient information .
    Please help me out in getting the right info for the following questions.
    1.Cost of living in Melbourne,like rentals,grocieries,electricity,telephone etc.
    2.Childrens education.I have 3 yr old boy.So i would like to know about School fees,Distance of the schools ,Schools usually preferred by Indians. etc
    3. Public Transportation.we stayed in USA for 2 yrs where public transportation is limited.I used stay at home most of the time with my kid .Car is must in US.What about in OZ.Do we need a car? If so will we able to get at an economical price.
    4.Indian community.In which places we can fine Indian community?
    5.Security.How safe and secure is Melbourne.Like, we Indians can we go alone anywhere .
    6.Used Furniture .Will we able to get used furniture like sofa ,dining table etc and electronic items like TV,microwaves etc.
    and last but not the least,
    I have a 3 yr old boy who is extremely active.He goes to play school here in hyderabd and he enjoys a lot.I want to know whether children of his age will be able to adjust in this country or will they feel lonely and get bored.

I will be extremely thankful for those who provide with the above information.

Thanks & Regards,
    Suma.

7. sky98

sky98 New IL'ite

Re: Need info about Melbourne

Hi Suma
    All the best for your relocation. I will try and answer to the best of my knowledge, however, I am sure you will get more response from otthers too, esp from our dear friend Coral.
    Very subjective, however, 3.5k to 5k should be decent enough.

Your son will go into 3 yr kinder. There are lots of community, private and semi private kinders in every suburb of Melbourne and the fees for community ones are very nominal
    I would go with having a car, that way you can easily chauffer your son to places. If you plan to put him in other classes (as kinders are not everyday affair, they are only once or twice a week and you need to occupy him during the other times as well). You can easily get a low end new car for 20k
    I feel Melb is very safe and secure. people are very friendly and accomodative of multi races.
    I think there are a lot of used furniture shops around carnegie, clayton and moorabin area, although I am not too sure of the rates.
    I have a 3 yr old boy who is extremely active.He goes to play school here in hyderabd and he enjoys a lot.I want to know whether children of his age will be able to adjust in this country or will they feel lonely and get bored.

I came to Melb when my son was 2.5 yr old and i put him in lot of classes like swimming, tennis, multi sports, etc when he turned 3. He loved it and we made lot of new friends through these classes. I am sure your son will enjoy melb, esp because of the multitide of child friendly activities, you have got here. If you make use of all tehfacilities available here, you might find that you dont have any time left for the normal house chores... yo guys will become so busy.

I hoe this info helps... do feel free to ask for any more help if needed.
    Cheers
    Sky98

8. sky98

sky98 New IL'ite

Hi Nirjohn
    Moving can be very stressful... hang on and you can do it!!!! Let us know if we can be of any help. Once you have decided the area, let me know and I shall give you info on schools, in that aea.
    Cheers
    Sky98

9. Nirjohn

Nirjohn New IL'ite

hi corallux and sky98,

Thanks and i will inform the place once i get information from my cousin.now i will read the thread and if i have any doubt i will ask later.till then bye.

regards
    nirjohn

10. Sanjna

Sanjna New IL'ite

Re: Love to meet..meet to love

hi

this is my first time on this site