Are you a Change Maker?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by racr, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

racr, you certainly are a 'change maker' - I watch you quietly cheer for people and support. If you were not sensitive you would not see any good in others! So first off, three cheers to you.

I personally think any one who sees things with their heart can bring about a change. Agreed we need to apply our heads where it is required but when it comes to people and their problems, it is best to use heart. So I do agree with Archana and the way she has put it across. We may feel for some one but more often fail to stand up for them for what ever reason. Forget others, some times we forget to stand up for our own selves too. When we understand the way we feel, we will be capable of being an effective change maker! Many a time I see my DD super sensitive in her feelings towards others especially when she sees those ads asking for money/help for kids, animals etc and I have seen her often come home in tears because some one was being mean to some one else and as a mom I can't help but feel being so sensitive might hurt her.

But now, I might want to stop and begin to understand that it may after all make her stronger - I am a living example :) (sorry I had to mention about myself) She always makes it a point that I pledge and show up for every small thing that school sends that involves kids or pets and so far thankfully I have had an opportunity to be supportive. Right now, there is an almost dead (we think dead) possum in our yard - we are trying to figure out if it is really dead or is playing dead and my DD won't let us touch it for she feels it is breathing still. I might end up calling some animal protection services to take care of it, just so that she feels better about it. I have often seen her with tears when a sad scene comes up even on kid's TV - oh well, I have inherited that from dad and have only successfully passed it on to her it seems!

Sorry I so got carried away. But then I knew this would happen if I stopped by here :) I am looking forward to catching up with paper edition of the Speaking tree in India! My Fil has the habit of saving all these and I will have a feast!

2 people like this.
  2. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

-Thank you so much! Yes,I'm quite sensitive,but I have often been told not to 'overreact'.So I started internalizing stuff. This article spoke to me,and I felt that I had to share it with folks here.

So true! Even my DD is pretty sensitive. She feels bad if anyone is mean to others at school and tells them so too,unlike me! Once we spotted a dead squirrel when we were out on a walk.My DD was so affected that she still doesn't want to take that path when we go out for a walk even now.
    Aww..your DD is so sweet. Hugs to her.Do read the whole article.My dad also collects the same!

Thanks for getting so carried away.I will treasure this post and keep coming back to read..you know about that habit of mine!

2 people like this.
  3. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Racr just to tell you - When someone tells me I am overreacting, in my mind the confusion and the doubt does pop out - did I just overreact? And then I think a little voice tells me it is better to overreact than to not react at all!

1 person likes this.
  4. TimidlyConfidnt

TimidlyConfidnt Gold IL'ite

At a very granular level. I am trying to make develop habits in my kids that I wished I had. Its harder for me break my age old habits than inculcating it right from beginning. DH following suit to an extent :)

1 person likes this.
  5. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

racr...'august'...am I that boring???

3 people like this.
  6. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

No august is cool - Fall happens to be my favorite time of the year :) Hope you are feeling better and recovering well! Grace us with your august presence more often!

3 people like this.
  7. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Not to be nitpicky but when I was younger I was encouraged to stand up for myself and was advised that this will invite a lot of trouble. But strangely, these days my mom never gives me that advice she wants me to be a peacemaker and I tell her "Too bad, you did not tell me that before!"

1 person likes this.
  8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Never even knew about this term Change maker and here and now I discover I am certainly one.
    All the lines outlined in blue in the original post is me.
    To think that i would have continued to live life that way... hmmmmm. glad someone brought this all up.\
    I have personally felt that life is tougher and more resistance if one is change maker.
    Everyone would rather have a smooth sailing and so anyone bringing a speed breaker is found not wanted.

1 person likes this.
  9. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Oh that was witty:)

1 person likes this.
  10. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Thanks,Arch for speaking on my behalf..I couldn't have put it better!

Teacher,your presence is welcome here anytime -Jan,Feb,March,Apr,May,June,July,even August, Sep,Oct,Nov,Dec..Yep,I think I got them all right,didn't I teacher?!

2 people like this.