1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weaning my 2 year old boy

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by kslv100, Apr 11, 2013.

1. kslv100

kslv100 New IL'ite

Hi, This is my first post on IL. I took a good 3-4 days to read all the posts regarding weaning and still felt my case needed a separate thread :D.

My kiddo is going to be 2 years soon and still wakes up 3-4 times at night to drink milk. He has never used pacifiers or bottles. He drinks water and whole milk from sippy cups and normal cups with assistance.

I'm not too eager to wean him completely, however,that is what I hear I should be doing from parents on both sides,friends, even his pediatrician but I'm desperate to wean him at nights because it is taking a toll on my sleep habits and health. I also thought since he is turning 2 it is okay for me to wean him without feeling guilty.

I have read on the threads to cut out one feed at a time starting with his least wanted. He wakes up 3-4 times at night, also drinks milk before and after his nap, also an not so regular feed in the evening. I am already trying to stop his after nap feed and evening feed and he gets very desperate cries,throws himself around and no matter what I do to distract him like a toy or rhymes or other food he always picks up the pillow and brings it to me after 5-10 min and is in the cranky mood till I feed. So this is where I am stuck. I am also trying to tell him each time he is grown up and everything is going to sleep.Nothing is working right now. Other than that he seems to be eating just okay and drinks milk from the sippy during day around meals. Not a great eater but okay eater. We also tried the neem way couple of times but stopped after reading about its toxicity. It did not bother him in any way. He just suckled as usual.

My DH is okay with weaning or cut night feeds but is not ready to take over from me totally and put the LO to sleep so if I am to try anything else it has to be me.

Any suggestions are welcome.

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Try using something that he doesnt like...i heard kids who dont like the taste of chwanprash stop BFing if chawanprash is used...or anything similar ..the taste of which your son doesnt like will help.

2 people like this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

wow...still 3-4 times at 2 years? That must be so hard for you. here are a few things I can think of to help him wean.

1. I suggest not to cut down day time feeding after naps. Let him drink.
    2. If he is eating OK throughout the day properly, it is unlikely that he is hungry during the night. He is waking up out of habit.
    3. After his dinner, let him play for a bit. Then give him a snack, like a banana or rice cereal...whatever he wants. Just before seeping, give him milk.

Some methods of weaning:

1. The first time he wakes up, just give him water. Let him scream all he want for 30 minutes. Then after 30 minutes, you can give him milk. This way, for every feed to have to postpone for 30 mins and extend the timings from 3 hours to 4 hours.

2. Slow weaning: If you normally give one full sippy cup of milk at nights, try giving 3/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup water mixture. After 3 days, do 1/2 milk and 1/2 water. 1 week later, all you will give is water. They are less likely to wake up only for water.

3. Going cold turkey. Do not feed him for 1 waking at all, no matter how much he cries. I am not a big fan of this method..as a mom, its very hard to see them cry. But a LOT of people have assured me that its for a good cause.

4. Reducing the quantity. Another wonderful method. If he is having full sippy cup of milk, then give him 10 ml less. 2 days later, reduce the quantity a little more. Very slowly, day by day keep reducing the quantity per feed. His body and mind will get used to the new quantity. Finally it comes to a point he is not bothered to wake up at all for that small quantity. If you are following this, you might want to adjust the after-nap quantity during the day as well.

5. One of my friend lied to her son. It worked. She said, "sorry honey, mommy forgot to buy milk. No more milk at home. We will buy some in the morning". Second night, "Sorry honey, cat drank away all the milk". Third night, "Sorry honey, the next door aunt had guests and they took all our milk". 4th night.."sorry honey, milk got spolied, I had to throw it out"...

5th day he didnt wake up for one feeding at all. He slept for 4 hours straight which was a miracle. But of course he cried a lot and wouldnt listen to reason but she kept maintaining that there is no milk at home. After 4 hours, he was offered a water bottle. The poor kid was so tired to argue that he simply sucked on it and fell asleep.

When I was weaning my DD at 12 months, I chose the 2nd method and it really worked. not sure if its because she was only 12 months though. It was fairly easy for me as she was still on feeding bottle. I mixed 150 ml milk+20 ml water the first time.

Your friends and relatives are right. Its not good to feed him at nights as there is a threat of cavities as he would be having a lot of teeth by now.

2 people like this.
  4. Divine84

Divine84 Junior IL'ite

I totally understand where you are standing. I successfully weaned my daughter when she was 2.5 years old. Just wanted to share my story.
    Day times were stopped when she turned one as I went back to work and she used to spend the entire day at day care. So her afternoon naps also she slept without feeding.
    Evenings she sometimes used to feed once after we got home but the tough one was night, she literally did not know how else to fall asleep (i think this is the main association for your son also)
    We tried multiple times from when she was one and half but all half-hearted as I felt guilty :(...spending so much time during the day away from her, did not want to make her go crazy at night also.

We pretty much stopped cold turkey. Since she understood and spoke, we told her "milk is over". we also told her if she wants, mom will go to doctor and check and get medicines for milk. This continued for a week at night (for falling asleep) . First two days were hardest. We choose to rock/walk/sing her to sleep instead for a while at least. Me and hubby took turns. By the end of the week, she was comfortable. she would say 'amma milk over, we will go to doctor'. She had forgotten by the middle of next week.

Since he is 2, I guess talking is the best way. But do not give up after 10-15 minutes because of the crying and the screaming. And I am not sure about handing over the kid to someone else either. It seems like it makes them more uncomfortable taking away everything familiar at once. First two days, I held/rocked her and then only hubby also came into picture.

Take your time.... but be stern. All the best.

1 person likes this.
  5. kslv100

kslv100 New IL'ite

Thanks for all the input guys.

Rakhii.. he doesn't take a sippy cup at night, he is BF.. he wud scream even if I offered a sippy after his night routine of bath/change to night clothes. Only BF seems to work..

Also I tried the telling him everything went to sleep..he did seem to quieten down a couple of days and lay on my shoulder but did not go to sleep. After about 15 min started crying again for milk. This happens at night too, if I don't feed immediately he becomes wide awake.

6. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Hi kslv100, my DD is 19 months old. I am trying to wean her from 15 months but still i cannot. Iam checking all the forums but still not successful. Even in my case I have to only take care of night weaning which is the most difficult part. Moreover my DD is falling sick often and end up BFing her. If I don't she cries like anything. My DD won't take cow's milk only few spoons she would have.
    If something works for you kindly share it here. It might help someone like me.