1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Art of saying no!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by bubblygal, Mar 30, 2013.

1. bubblygal

bubblygal Platinum IL'ite

I have always been a people's person!May be i always will be!I dont know....!
    I have always been an obedient child, even chose the career that my parents wanted me to pursue keeping aside what i wanted to really do!Then came marriage!
    Friends - Always tagged me as bubbly , fun loving person!(This inspired me to keep this nick for my id!).I rarely fought with friends.Had a difficult time saying no to any plans made by friends only to be fired later by parents!Simplest of simplest things would be difficult for me to reject!I remember my parents kept a deadline for me back then at 9 pm and i would make sure I am home at 7, when it came to my brother he would succeed even staying back with his friends point being i could never argue with my parents , never object them.Even after my marriage my dad would expect me to be back home by 9 even if i am with my dh!
    I made countless friends, countless contacts and countless helps not to forget!But in the process i realised people ended up taking advantage of my weakness!Yes it never dawned upon me that it was a weakness!I thought everyone is happy when i do something for them, i never pondered whether i am happy!The first time i tasted a glimpse of this is when i got selected for a radio show recently to do a radio show thats when i realised how i could i have pursued my long last dream!Simple things like even bargaining is still difficult for me i get scared assuming the guy would never sell things if i bargain!I have decided finally to learn to say no, yes it pains a lot for me to say no!:)

I will be happy to see people like me out here!Quite selfish eh?

sindmani, racr and Kamalji like this.

2. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Your title says it all. Saying no is an art. A difficult one. Still learning. :)

3. seethavarma

seethavarma Gold IL'ite

When I was in 6th std my best friend uma maheswari changed her place from my next seat.
    I said :you cant do like that to me,pls sit with me!!!!!
    She said,NO ,i want to make more friends,sworrry I cant sit with u.
    A couple of months later she came to me and asked shall I sit next to you?
    I said, NO!
    She asked, why?
    I said :I also learned to say NO!simply No,no,no!!!!!!!

Is this art of saying NO,then I learned it in my 6th std.
    Thank You Uma maheswari.

1 person likes this.
  4. Wondergirl137

Wondergirl137 Gold IL'ite

People who overly-adjust, because of whatever reason - sometimes out of love, out of friendship, courtesy and sometimes just to please people, have a tough time saying "NO". I was/still am one of those timid-overly adjusting person.
    Rightly said Bubbly, I too got this habit from family - started adjusting for siblings (out of love for them)...then with friends ( friendship is selfless!! eh!! and to keep up the friends...not offend them etc)....and then at work place too (for some or the other reason).

End-result was a frustration build-up within myself and the "victim"' attitude.....looking for validation...low-self esteem and self-doubt. Today I still have problems in saying "no" all the time :) but am learning.

I have also realized that people who love or care for us will do so irrespective of what we do or don't do for them. The whole world isn't dependent on me and its never like the world will come to end if I say "NO". Time to be first responsible for "self" and then others!!

3 people like this.
  5. bubblygal

So true!i remember once I and husband went for skiing and there and elderly gentleman was climbing down with his group and we were climbing up and he was finding it difficult to cliimb down so i ended up giving him my hand when no one else bothered in his group end result he pulled me down and i ended up getting hurt that man dint even bother to say thnk you :( My dh from then keeps reiterating dont help strangers, learn to say no infact like you said people will continue loving us for what we are whether we do things for them or not!Tell me about frustrations girl!Phew trying to put my foot down wherever possible!:)

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Saying no from the heart is easy when you are being honest. Actually there is no other way to go about it if thats what is the truth. This is how I am.

sindmani and bubblygal like this.
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bubbly,

i too used to be like u, taken for a ride often, till a friend of mine taught me a few tricks, i wrote a blog on it sone tie back. in which i shared the tips with the readers.Some of them were,

if someone asks for a loan, how to fob him or her off, telling her , wish he/she had asked her a week back when she had so much surplus that she sent it to her brother, uncle etc for a year for they had asked for it. So while u did not give the money, u made the other feel, that if u had it, u would have given, so the other person goes away happy.

And there are others who want to come over to yr place, bcs they are close by, and u are not in the mood for them, how do u say no ?
    or a friend comes and says, i have joined this insurance company and buy this policy from me, how do u say no to her.?

in my next comment to u, if u are interested.Good blog, common problems but very irksome really.HAHA

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  8. FE40

FE40 Silver IL'ite

True bubblygal,

Its difficult to say 'no'. But there are limitations. When we are taken for granted, and we are able to realise it, its better to say 'no'.

I have learnt the art of telling 'no' just 5 years back, when i gave up an emotionally abusive marriage. I am peaceful henceforth. I follow the same with my friends and parents as well. :)

Actually, we may be termed as 'adamant', etc, but it does not matter, its far better than being weak and suffer by accepting something for the sake of society.

1 person likes this.
  9. bubblygal

dear mam wish i was like you, even when i know clearly i dont want to do it i first end up thinking of the person who would be at the receiving end!

10. bubblygal

So true i mean till the time we adjust people call us co operative, else they call us aggressive!!!