1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Meeting wife after vacation - Need Gift Ideas

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by reddy2078, Mar 10, 2013.

1. gaivij

gaivij Bronze IL'ite

Hi Reddy
    I liked ur interest to show ur love on her. Since she is not with you currently, she may like something that touches her heart instead of materialistic gifts. I mean for all other occasions you may give her dresses or necklaces as she will be with you and you want to surprise her. As she is coming to you after her vacation, first thing is a clean and refreshing house. I personally get irritated if i see a messy house though i get a big treat. clean living, bed & bathrooms with an organized kitchen. And then goes any heart touching gift as per her taste (books/cosmetics/dress/accessories) with lovely roses. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  2. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

wrap yourself as a gift pack!

3. waitingforu

waitingforu Silver IL'ite

I had been in similar situation as I had gifted my wife on several occasions and some of them are my own made ones to show how much she means to me than gifting something buying off the shelf..

During my first trip to india on meeting her..I surprised her every day with a gift and I had to pause it for a day to again surprise her by not giving anything and on her 25th bday I sent her 25 gifts as it was her first after having known her..I thought to send 25 making up for all the years I had not been with her...It was all appreciated but not as much I heard from other female friends...

One is at times the women may not be expressive enough and another thing...Loving is not about giving what you think is loving but also giving what do they want as a token of love...Gifts may not necessarily mean a lot for some if they are not getting something else that they need the most in relationship...

4. SaleemaRex

SaleemaRex Gold IL'ite

Sorry if what I said offended you… that was not my intention. Since you mentioned that your wife doesn’t respond to your gifts like the way you want her to, I shared my views on why that might be the case.

I think you should talk to her and see what she thinks about the gifts you have given her… maybe she didn’t like a particular gift and if that is the case then you can find out what she really wants. Or as I said in my other post it could be just a matter of personality difference.

Personally I don’t place too much importance to gifts… most of the time we use special occasions to buy something that we wanted for a while. My husband’s birthday is coming up soon, he wants a pair of sun glasses and so all I am going to do is let him to pick the sun glasses he want and buy it for him. This doesn’t mean I don’t love him or he doesn’t love me… just our take on gifting is different.

I hope you take this in the way it was intended not meant as a criticism of you in any way.

1 person likes this.
  5. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

that's a stereotype right there! why is it considered gay for a man to show his creative side? not all gay men care for cards and flowers, the ones i know, don't. they are also the kind of men that blow the 'effeminate equals gay' notion out of the water.

i just wanted to single this out for comment because such stereotypes prevent people from from expressing their true selves due to societal pressure to conform to certain 'norms'.

it's a strange juxtaposition of expectations from men and women. on one hand, we women are supposed to go all gaga over fancy gifts but some of us do much better with less overt tokens of love. men are typically expected to not do much or even forget special occasions but some do take the time to make it special.

OP, i like some of the suggestions from rakhi such as a spa treatment, books or music of choice. whatever it is, i think your love will shine through!

1 person likes this.
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I "am" stereotypical when it comes to mushy things coming from guys. Guilty as charged. What can I say. To each their own I guess...thats why I mentioned the gifts she might like too, not just said its Gay and left it at that.

And coolwinds, I never ever mentioned that its OK for men to forget important occasions. Also, when you post in a public forum, you will come across stereotypes like me also (I shamelessly confess that i am one such when it comes to mushy things). be wise and choose what you think is best for your situation. If you are into flowers and letters, by all means go ahead with it. Just dont push this idea on me though. Every one has a right to an opinion and I really would ask my DH that question.

7. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

I thought I was the only one put off with gifts :), so I am happy to see the likes of Seema, Rakhi et al.....I thought I was a bit weird . For me even a gift should have some practical implication, I may love to have a veg steamer for valentines day rather than a bunch of red roses!........if you know what I mean.
    If I am back from a holiday ( where I do serious shopping) and my dh gifts me xyz.....( which I might have already picked up in vivid colors)..... I will be like WT...H!
    I know I am still weird, Infact we both gift practicably!
    Why don't you check in for a night at a cozy little place?
    Mega

8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

well...that would become her gift to him...no?

EDIT: Oh shoot, thats a stereotype again I guess. Sorry OP...ignore this comment of mine.

1 person likes this.
  9. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Rakhi
    It helped me to understand that I am normal :)
    Mega

10. reddy2078

reddy2078 Junior IL'ite

thank you all for the inputs