1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should Husband take away wife's salary? How is that justified?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by stronglady2013, Mar 8, 2013.

1. stronglady2013

stronglady2013 Silver IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post in IL. :). I am very glad to discover it because it helped me clearing my mind about many personal issues I am facing now a days.

Like every other married women I have 'many problems' too. One among them is I am not authorized to take my own salary since I started earning. I mean I do not get a single penny of it. My husband takes good care of things though but I still feel it is my right. I spoke, I fought a lot but nothing happens to him. After fighting a lot i used to get 2 percent of my salary which he stopped giving me when we bought a home saying we have too many expenses to take care of.
    Neither he contributed to my education or anything? I feel exploited. What would be your advise on this situation? The whole life I waited for the moment to get a job and start earning. But When I started earning, I did not my first salary to my hand. He took the cheque and kept in his wallet. He did my immigration but is it his right to take my money without my permission?

2. RPVAIL

RPVAIL Silver IL'ite

Your post doesn't tell us how long this has been happening. Have you started working recently? Anyway what he is doing is not right inspite of what ever reasons he may come up with. Why do you need to hand over the check to him in the first place? Have you thought about opening a bank account and depositing the check yourself?

The first right on your earnings is yours. But again based on your family's finanacial situation if you (both you and your husband) have to share expenses then that is fine. Talking about issues and coming to some understanding is one thing but simply taking all of your earnings doesn't make sense!

1 person likes this.
  3. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

First, welcome to IL!

Second, and answer to your question, No, it isn't his right. You earned it, you worked for it, so it isn't his right to take it, even if he did pay for your immigration.

I don't know what advice to offer you about this, since you say you've already talked/fought with him about this. I would say go cash it as soon as you get it and keep back part of it for yourself (but not hiding that fact from him, because lying to a spouse is never a good idea), but take that with a grain of salt. You know your situation better than I do.

Is he contributing ALL of HIS pay to household expenses, or is he using some of his for his own uses? You should, I think, talk to him about the budget. Since (I presume) both of you are working, both of you should decide who contributes how much to which part of the household expenses. Most budget planners will tell you that every married couple should split the money into "your money, my money, and our money" so that the expenses and savings are covered, but each person has some money to play with.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. pari80

pari80 Silver IL'ite

how about putting direct deposit your pay in separate account. you can open up new account in any xyz bank in US and use that to direct deposit your pay. Meanwhile, talk with your DH to figure out monthly expense and your contribution.

I mean if he is handling finances and not denying you access to money when needed ,than in one sense it should be ok. I am also involve with my DH in our own business and even being finance manager i haven't been to bank or seen rupee by myself. I know what does our business earns and all other thing. But whenever i need money ,it is easily available to myself and hasn't bother me. I am not saying same should be with you but think, why it bothers you.

1 person likes this.
  5. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

What does he generally do with the money(his and yours both)? How much does he give his parents/siblings?

If he is reasonable with gifting to his folks, your problem is not massive. You can slowly talk/discuss and get him to understand.

If there is heavy gifting/donations to his folks, this issue is a different beast altogether.....

Please clarify OP.

6. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

you are working and you have every right to keep salary for yourself..im not working but let me tell you it is so much pain to ask money from my husband ...you are working and you are fighting for your hard earned money..i dont know hw is it justified..they want all wifes salary,gold and evrythng related to wife in their name but they would never register the flat or home bought in wife's name..i dont understand how it is justified..!u have evry right on the money u earn and evry right to spend it the way you like..

1 person likes this.
  7. sanjana86

sanjana86 Bronze IL'ite

No, he does not have right over your paycheck. You earned it yourself by working for it. He didn't have any hand in providing your education either, I assume. And paying for your immigration is his duty, since you are his wife and you are supposed to go wherever he goes and live with him.

Sure, you must jointly handle the household expenses along with him, since you're earning and its your duty as well. Also, if he also has to provide for his parents, you must then contribute a bit more from your salary. But still, it must be on YOUR terms and the money must go from YOUR hands to HIS, not the other way round...!

The money you both earn must be divided into 'your money, my money, and our money' as someone correctly mentioned above. You should leave at least a small amount for yourself and your own pleasures and personal expenses. Rest must be part of 'our money' which is joint responsibility. Either way, try and explain all these concepts with your husband without fighting or arguing. And do not hand over your checks to him. You cash them first, and then divide them accordingly.

8. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

What will he do with the cheque? The cheque is in your name, correct?

9. stronglady2013

@ RPVAIL
    It is happening since three years. I handed over on that time because I was not strong enough to fight and involve in arguments.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  10. stronglady2013

Other thing, I do not have any object him spending money over his parents. Because its our duty to look after them. I don't know what he does with the money. the only thing I know he does not have any bad habit but still it is mine right? When I asked him about the account p/w and the things he starts yelling and the stuff.