1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why this fuss about calling?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sweetestshweta, Mar 7, 2013.

1. sweetestshweta

sweetestshweta Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies..
    Today heard a big lecture from my MIL..
    I was a bit caught up with office work.Its March and all of you will understand how it is for most of us..
    Well,because I was quite busy,I could not call my MIL for some days and today when I did,she bashed me up..It left me furious and irritated..

I can't understand why there is so much fuss about calling?Phones are used to keep in touch with people for whom you care and its meant to save your time..
    But I think in our house its only a means used by MIL and SIL to show their superiority over the DIL..
    All these years of our marriage,my MIL and SIL have hardly called ever.. SIL calls my DH once a month but never calls me.Its me who has to do it.Initially I got really pissed off and seeing her attitude,I didn't call her for a couple of months and what a havoc it caused!! My MIL and SIL ganged up and they called my DH and BIL and sobbed,cried and created scenes..:spin
    So I learnt my lessons and now I call SIL once a week and MIL twice a week(in those wonderful days when she is not with us:))

Why do some ladies just have nothing in life than to create big issues out of trivia?
    For me,I really love to call and talk to people who care for me and whom I really miss..
    For rest others,its just another task I have to do every week..:drowning

2 people like this.

2. Minara

Minara Platinum IL'ite

I understand... just 2 weeks ago I faced the same situation when I got caught up in something and left out on calling my MIL.. No SILs for me, but a co-sis and she's just as bad as your SIL, swetha.. She has never called me for anything but she calls my husband once in a while.. Oh, before I forget, she once called me to give me a shopping list for the things she wanted tht we could get here but she wouldnt get there (village) she never bothered with me after tht.. Forever complains tht we didn't do something or other...

3. gyaandxb

gyaandxb Silver IL'ite

A guy gets married to the girl, but a girl gets married to the whole family !!! :coffee sad truth of indian marriages !

2 people like this.
  4. Minara

Minara Platinum IL'ite

Not necessarily.. I make sure DH calls my dad or BIL once in a while.. Not very often.. Once a month or so is ideal for men.. And maybe a bit more often when there is some illness in the family or something, I tell him to just enquire..

My little niece calls me almost very night before sleeping, she will ask for her uncle to say good night and ask if he ate and simple questions 2 yr old asks.. It's a light moment for both of us and it keeps him positive in keeping the family intact.. So thts works for me too..

5. MaritalBliss

MaritalBliss Platinum IL'ite

Set expectations from the beginning. If u call often and suddenly stop, it will cause problems. It's better to call once in a while...so that the expectations are not there.

2 people like this.
  6. gyaandxb

gyaandxb Silver IL'ite

Exactly my point Minara. Men have to be told and reminded to talk to our parents. And then that happens once a month or once in a couple of months or maybe if and when they need some help. But never in general is it expected that they'll also call our parents and talk to them on a regular basis, without being reminded to.

Compare that with the expectation to be met by the DILS. Everyday, every alternate day, once a week.

1 person likes this.
  7. Minara

Minara Platinum IL'ite

I do agree with what you're saying.. But then again, women are more talkative than men or whatever.. and yes, expectations are there too.. I talk to my own parents and sister on a daily basis.. so i dont find it exceeding expectations to call my MIL twice a week.. whereas how often do the men call their homes? once in 1 or 2 weeks where hubby is concerned.. and nowadays i call my MIL whenever hubby is home just so MIL can talk to hubby when I'm done.. He's her son and she wants to talk to him.. I'm not going to stand in the way.. I will help them if it means that my MIL will behave with me.. Doing this keeps both me and my MIL happy... and DH is happy that the two women in his life are getting along well.. All's well that ends well, see?

1 person likes this.
  8. Maggie2009

Maggie2009 Gold IL'ite

idle minds-keep track of EVERYTHING
    idle minds-love wallowing in a festering pool of self pity and darkness
    idle minds-need more drama and stimulation than the daily saas-bahu tv soaps
    idle minds-try to overcompensate for their insecurities by bullying the nearest at hand
    idle minds-simply have too much pent up energy
    idle minds- have astonishingly good memory power- unlimited inbox for negativity
    am sure you aren't idle at all. you might have lots to do. just humor them and move on.

7 people like this.
  9. kritikarao

kritikarao New IL'ite

Same thing happens here. Whether we are outstation for hubby's work or I am in my parents house..... It's me who has to call. She will never make a call. If I am unable to call for some reason, next day it is "we had a daughter in law who means a lot to us. She has gone to her house for some days and forgotten us. Have u seen her lately???" Even though the way she says it is hilarious, it's the meaning hidden behind - unnecessary self importance.

10. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha... That was awesome :) I wish I could write it down and stick it on my MIL's phone set :rotfl

2 people like this.