Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 4)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Sep 14, 2010.

1. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithramma,
    Made Lime pickle- pressure pan method. It has come out well & lime is nicely done. Only issue is it is slightly dry 'vizhudhu illai'. I took out the lime from the salt brine, cut into small pieces, added red chilli, pwd roasted methi and tempered. Tastewise everything is ok but did not get the gravy:rant. Should I need to add the salt brine as well? Can I now add the brine, more red chilli & methi pwd & temper again? Please help, this is DH's favourite pickle:help.
    Love,
    Damini.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Yes, Damini, you should have used the brine also to get gravy. Go ahead now & do it.

3. vysa

vysa Bronze IL'ite

Dear Madam,

I go through your posts and learn a lot and I have recently bought a Samsung CE107V Microwave/grill/convection oven and find it useful. But lots of strange doubts keep sprouting as I start using it. Please clarify as I cud not get these doubts answered even by going through the manual. Pz do bear with me as many of my doubts are very elementary, but I am novice to microwave oven.
    1. Can I use glass dishes (I use pyrex) for baking cakes?
    2. Most of the baking recipes require preheating and am able to do that successfully, but some recipes say that preheat to 200 degrees and bake at 180 degrees, what should I do to change temperature from 200 to 180 degrees?
    3. I use the non-stick pizza plate for baking biscuits, is it proper to do so?
    4. If I want to bake say cake in 2 trays, can I put both the trays in the oven in the upper and lower racks and continue to bake them simultaneously?
    5. Some of the baking/microwave dishes I have bought hit the walls of the microwave oven when I start the oven. I happened to read somewhere that this problem can be addressed by suppressing the rotate option. But my machine doesn’t seem to have that option, what should I do for it?
    6. I have tried a few cake recipes, and with regards to taste there had been no compromise, they come out very tasty. All my cakes get baked at least 10-15 minutes faster than the time specified in the original recipe. So I always keep a close watch of the cake when it is getting baked. My cake after 15- 20 minutes of baking rise very well and immediately after few seconds become absolutely flat. Where am I going wrong? Pz guide.
    7. I had never bother ed to adjust the power level when I use the microwave oven for, do I need to adjust power level ( given as 900W, 600W, …)? Does this power level apply for convection mode too?
    8. I tried pound cake today, it turned tasty . But when I tried to take it off my greased non-stick cake pan it started to crumble. Pz help
    I know it a very lengthy list of queries, but pz do clarify when u find time. Tks a lot

4. Chitvish

Oh, so many doubts!!
    1 - Yes, though cakes can be baked in pyrex, I prefer metal. Your choice.
    2- This is new to me!!Bake at 200 itself.
    3-Yes, fine.
    4- I would say that is a risk. I dare not do it.
    5 - There is no choice - the size has to be smaller. I had the same problem with my old baking dishes, so bought anew 32 litre MW last week.
    6-Do you open the doorto see?Please google & findout. The batter is a wee bit loose is my guess.
    7-Normally 900 on MW is ok. For convection only temp matters, nothing else.
    8 - Again consistency or proportion of ingredients is not right.

5. vysa

vysa Bronze IL'ite

Tks a lot Madam for the very prompt and clear reply. All ur suggestions are very useful. For point no. 6, yes, I do open the door to see if the cake is done. Shud that not be done?

6. Chitvish

No, if you open, a draught enters & the cake sinks. I always test when the aroma starts.

7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hello Chithramma,

i'm returning after a loooong time! i've got my hands on vadumaangai:) i have kal uppu in pantry. how do i powder it? scared to do a trial run in the mixie so checking with you first. or can i add rock salt as it is to the pickle?

8. Chitvish

Powder in the mixi, Latha, no fears.

9. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithramma,
    Now the pickle is good! It did not strike me to add the brine. Thank you so much.
    Love,
    Damini.

10. eagle

eagle Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chithra
    Today for the first time I made Badam Burfi as it is my husband's birthday. (We need your blessings). The end result -burfi was just perfect. I cant thank you enough for the effort you put in SBS thread.It was of immense help for me. My kids,husband and father appreciated the perfect burfi and it was worth all the time and effort.
    Also made my husband's all time fav. amavadai. Soaking it and resting for 1 hr did the trick. It was so crispy and tasted so good.
    Thank you so very much.
    I am making your everyday recipes from the AskChitvish app. Thank you so much for everything you do.

Love
    Shobana